PeoplePC Internet Service / Unauthorized Charge

1 1375 Peachtree, Level AAtlanta, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-866-226-1015

On February 14th, PeoplePC charged me $104.40 for Internet access that I never purchased or authorized. I do not know how they secured my credit card information. We did not purchase anything from this company. I contacted them at 8:00 am PST and spoke to an agent. They asked for my phone number (it was not in their records) and then asked for my credit card number, address, my name and then wanted my social security number and the name of my first pet. I refused to provide my social security or first pet and asked to speak to a supervisor. They stated that they could not pass me to a supervisor until they could verify me as the account holder, which required providing my social security or the name of my first pet. I told them that I was confident they did not have that information because I did not authorize the purchase in the first place and that my sense was they were collecting the information so they could supply it to you as “proof” of my approval.

They said the only way I could get assistance was to write a letter to:

PeoplePC
1375 Peachtree, Level A
Atlanta, GA 30309

After calling my credit card company and receiving feedback that I should at least attempt to have them confirm they will not charge any future charges. I went through the same process and asked to speak to a supervisor 10+ times (honest!) asking them repeatedly if they were refusing to let me speak to a supervisor. Finally, they transferred me to a supervisor, and then to two additional supervisors upon which the woman provided me a 17 digit cancellation number, which I have supplied to my credit card company, in the event they charge me again.

In looking on-line, this company appears to be disreputable; there are literally thousands of complaints related to unauthorized charges, not turning off the service – even with repeated requests. It is a shame that my time and energy was wasted.

Comments

• Sh
      11th of Apr, 2008

I had the same thing happen. I had peoplepc as my service provide and when I called to cancel. They told me that they would go ahead and cancel my account for me.. 3 Months after my cancellation they were still debited my savings account. I had to contact them again and ask why they were continuing to take out money when I no longer authorized them too. They told me that they were going to put in the cancellation once again.. I was never reimbursed by them nor did the debiting stop. They even debited my account twice and three times in one month. In the end I had to close my savings account and switch banks because of this which was a huge inconvenience to me. They ended up overdrawing my savings account over $200. They would not make any effort to try and reimburse me any of my money. I think that is the worst thing that a business can do to someone.