Office Depot / scamming liars

On 12-07 we bought 8 (7 same models and 1 different model) Toshiba Laptops ($600 ea) with guaranteed $150 rebate per computer. The sales reps in the Spokane WA. stores (1 on Division Str. and another on 3rd Ave.) where we bought the 8 laptops all promised the rebates were per qualifying purchase and would get them in 90 days max. We mailed the rebates rt. away. By 2-08 we had received only 2 rebates. I went into the store on 3rd. ave. on 2/15/08 and after 1.5 hours! Got the saleslady to speak to the manager at the rebate ctr., Jeff, who stated we would get the 6 remaining ones in 3 wks. Now almost 5 (FIVE) months later, only 1 rebate arrived and I have written many many emails to the rebate ctr. but no intelligent response, just stupid employees who don't know anything or care. The store manager on 3rd. ave. in Spokane also claims to have called them but I have spoken to him several times and been into the store 3 xs, and still nothing, just lies and promises. The rebate ctr. kept denying us the rebates the last 3.5 months saying that the receipts were 1 per qualifying household! Just like that they change the legal description of the document, our receipt, to be whatever they want. This store needs to be to have a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against it and be fined $$$$$millions for false advertising, fraud, misleading, corruption, cheating customers, etc... And be dissolved! What a BIG SCAM. DON'T SHOP HERE EVER. WE ALL WON'T BE.

Va

Comments

• Bi
      10th of Jul, 2008

I have experienced several questionable practices at Office Depot, but the one that finally convinced me to not go there anymore was something akin to a bait and switch. They advertised an HP laser color printer as coming with full toner cartridges on their website. Since I happened to be comparing offers at Staples website, which said the same printer came with introductory cartridges (about half-capacity as full cartridges), I called Office Depot's toll-free number and the representative confirmed that Office Depot sold that printer with full cartridges. I went to the O.D. store near me and just to make triple-sure, I asked the salesman in the store if full cartridges came with that model and he talked to his manager on his headset and they all confirmed the full cartridges, so I bought the printer. After I set it up at home I noticed that the cartridges all said "Introductory" on their labels. I took it back to the store and they had the nerve to stand there and tell me there was nothing they could do about it. I wasn't about to put up with that -- it was exactly like them saying to me, "Yeah, we took your money by misleading you and now it's just to bad for you that we are thieves!" I picked up my printer, went home and filed online complaints with the BBB and my state Attorney General. I called the store again and talked to the manager (the same one I talked to in the store) and he finally gave in and said he would see what he could do and that he would call me back on Monday (this was on Saturday). I called again on Sunday and expressed my displeasure with their lack of prompt response in an obvious case of product misrepresentation. They still didn't do anything until Monday, when a girl from that store, who told me it was her first day on the job, said I could bring the introductory cartridges back and exchange them for full ones. Although they made good, it wasn't without a lot of extra time and stress on my part. In the past, I have noticed several thing that bothered me about Office Depot's advertising and promotional gimmicks that just seem to never pay off, like their "Rewards" program and some other deceptive ads that you need to read the fine print to realize you won't benefit from them. I have had it with them. I'll see if I get better treatment at Staples where they at least don't seem to be misrepresenting that one printer model. They may not be doing it intentionally, but who can really say? Intentional or not, the effect is the same to the customer. Often when companies get big enough, their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing. Welcome to the club, O.D.

• Le
      16th of Jul, 2008

The below is printed on all Office Depot MIR. This is the legal fine print that most people ignore. Never take the word of someone if there is any doubt in your mind. I wouldn't take the word of a car salesperson or the manager if they told me the car came with a 10-year 500, 000 mile warranty that would cover gas fill-up as well. A person would be silly not to see it in writing. If all else fails, look at the manufacturer's website for what comes in the package. If there is a question about a rebate, GET A PRINTOUT BEFORE YOU BUY. If a manager tells you something that is not explicitly in the form, then you need that manager (because it becomes that person's responsibility) to put it in writing. Common business sense.

"Limit one mail-in savings per household/business. Offer not valid on Configure-to-Order Computers. All qualified items must be listed on the same receipt. This offer is valid in the US and Puerto Rico only, except where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. This product must be purchased between the valid dates listed to the right. Mail-in savings form must be postmarked by the postmark date listed to the right. Office Depot® is not responsible for late, lost, damaged or misdirected mail.
    Claims from dealers/distributors and their employees will not be
    honored. One mail-in savings per qualifying receipt. To qualify for these mail-in savings you must be a legal US resident and be 18 years of age or older. Only actual purchaser of the qualifying products may participate in this mail-in savings program. Office Depot® reserves the right to modify or withdraw this promotion at any time. If you have not received your mail-in savings after 60-90 days of mailing please contact www.web-rebates.com/officedepot to check status or for questions
    about the mail-in savings process. Keep copies of all materials submitted: originals become Office Depot/Manufacturer property and will not be returned."

• Ri
      29th of Jan, 2009

Bill, there is one thing you have to know. First HP is the manufacturer of this product you purchased. Their cartridges are also part of this package which sold in any retail store you buy it from, not just OD. The people you may have spoken to only goes by the knowledge and training on the product specs. Any retail company that trains you obtains the product information from the manufacturer (HP) and the merchant or buyer of that company (OD) The agents then are trained on those specifications.

You must not have learned basic economics in school.

Now on that note, you should first be blaming yourself for thinking that OD is responsible for the cartridges not totally full and your lack of knowledge. As for the rebates. I agree with Ken. You failed to read the fine print and it clearly reads what he copied here. These rules have applied in the retail industry for years and have not changed. You're even lucky OD fulfilled the second rebate you claim to have gotten back. So as they say. Buyer beware!!!