Nicor Gas / Over charging

1 IL, United States Review updated:

After fighting with them constantly about over charging me they came and replaced my meter when they KNEW I wouldn't be home to take my own reading and of course they claim that I owe them another $2100. I have lived in this house for 2 and a half years and have never used more than 241 therms in a month but once they took the meter somehow in the last 7 months I have been going through over 1000 therms a month.

They will rip you off every chance they get. Don't EVER trust the bill you get from them ALWAYS go read your own meter when you get your bill

Sc

Comments

• Da
      1st of Nov, 2008

Looking at my gas usage graph, there are highly abnormal spikes in therms used. I live in a 2 bedroom ranch with my wife. We had new windows installed shortly after we moved in, the home is insulated very well, and our thermostat is never above 68 degrees.
    According to my original Nicor Gas statement from 10-28-06,
    An actual meter reading was not accomplished when service was started. Also, 11-3-06 the meter reading was estimated. I would think when a new customer starts service an actual meter reading is mandatory. The gas billing started out fairly normal until 2-6-07 to 4-4-07 when the therms used, spiked to 717.19 with a charge amounting to $666.56 for 56 days of usage. Prior to that, 12-6-06 to 2-6-07, the bill was only $170.37.
    We were set up on the budget plan at $65.00 per month. We did not receive any other additional statements after 10-28-06. Were were not informed of the abnormal gas usage until June of this year! The customer service agent told us Nicor needs to re-evaluate our budget plan payment. What took so long?
    Why were we not informed earlier?
    Also the billing address is incorrect. The correct address is 108 S. 3000 West rd. Kankakee Il. 60901 The address Nicor has is 108s 3009 West Rd, Kankakee. I tried to correct this error many times and the agents tell me that our street 3000 West Rd. Does not show up on their computers. A Service Technician was scheduled to come out to our house and inspect the meter and valve in July. The technician never showed because he could not find the address. We were never informed of this problem until I contacted the service department and asked what the Technician's findings were. Nicor has our home phone number, cell phone number, and email address. On Tuesday, 10-28-08,
    I smelled gas at the meter. I called Nicor at 8 am and was told a Technician would arrive within the hour. The technician arrived at 10:30 am! 2 1/2 hours...LATER
    I also asked for actual meter readings at the time the the gas usage was extremely abnormal, 2-7-08 to 4-7-08 $523.22, 12-6-08 to 2-7-08 $533.52, the customer service agent told me those readings were unavailable, and could not confirm when actual meter readings were done.
    Furthermore, additional billing was added to our bill from 11-4-05 to 9-21-06. We closed on our home 10-22-06!
    I was notified yesterday 10-30-08 via voice mail that we will be disconnected. I called a Customer Care Specialist once again and was told a disconnect notice was sent in the mail on 10-7-08.
    I asked what address it was sent to, and the CCS stated the billing address, 108 S. 3009 West Rd. I told her the address is incorrect, and asked, why is hasn't been changed? She then stated that the notice was emailed. We have not received any such email. Is it common practice for Nicor employees to openly lie to customers?
    Please HELP! We do not have $594.87 to keep our gas turned on. Our total bill is currently at $2400.00! This is not correct!

• Pa
      11th of Nov, 2008

My gas bill was 677.00.I was charge for gas line comfort guard for 4.95.I told nicor that, I wanted that
    removed from my bill but they are still charging me for that and another thing. I don't have a gas stove. I only have electric stove.Why is my bill 677.00.This doesn't make any darn sense to me.

• Li
      10th of Apr, 2010

I have had it up to my ears with nicor . They are trying to stick me with a bill from another address and was threaten to cut me off for non payment and I am not responsible for those charges but yet I have to pay for them . I faxed over documents showing I lived at a different address and a police report I had filed about 3 years ago. They say they now need a statement from the police with the result of investigtion but the investigation is still pending because they have not found the guy yet .. UGgggghhhh . I hate them this is has going on since I moved into my new home in Nov 09 .