Navy Federal Credit Union / racism/prejudice

Jul 9, 2015
I experienced an extreme racism by a member service rep at the kingspoint location in new york. I went to make a deposit to my sister's account & the representative made a statement, how could that be my sister & we don't have the same last name. I then asked him what does that have to do with him, whether or not we have the same last name or not. He then took the deposit & have me a receipt. Around an hour later? My sister called me & stated that the she tried to activate her atm card & navy federal told her that her account was locked & that I needed to call into the credit union. After making several phone calls & speaking to 2 supervisors, faxing over products to identify myself, I was told that the representative places a note on my account at 4:30 & placed a lock on my account. I have made gone to this branch numerous times in the past couple of months & made deposits & withdrawals w/o any issues & im currently being a victim of racism due to not having the same last name as a family member after months of membership. This is unacceptable & a great prejudice to limit the resources available to peoe of color. I'm requesting for an amicable resolution to be made asap. Thank you for cooperation in advance.

N  22nd of Oct, 2015 by
Sometimes the people at the branches overstep their bounds, and often their own personal beliefs enter into their decision on how to do their jobs.

I really hope this wasn't the case; however, your point about different last names is a good one. Why would they ask? There are numerous reasons a sibling would have a different last name - marriage, different father, adopted, legally changed for personal preference. Who the heck are they to question a last name? If there is a question about the motive of the depositor, they could obtain ID, make a note on the screen, and put a hold on the funds for a period of time. I've had this done when I've made an unusually large deposit after the sale of a car or house. And of course they can refuse a deposit to anyone other than the account holder if the deposit includes cash back. All of this should be clearly explained to the depositor. I agree with you, if their actions were solely based on your different name, that is beyond the scope of the teller's authority and a manager should have known better.

Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] Logo Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU]