Navy Federal Credit Union / racism/prejudice

1 Kingspoint, United States Review updated:

I experienced an extreme racism by a member service rep at the kingspoint location in new york. I went to make a deposit to my sister's account & the representative made a statement, how could that be my sister & we don't have the same last name. I then asked him what does that have to do with him, whether or not we have the same last name or not. He then took the deposit & have me a receipt. Around an hour later? My sister called me & stated that the she tried to activate her atm card & navy federal told her that her account was locked & that I needed to call into the credit union. After making several phone calls & speaking to 2 supervisors, faxing over products to identify myself, I was told that the representative places a note on my account at 4:30 & placed a lock on my account. I have made gone to this branch numerous times in the past couple of months & made deposits & withdrawals w/o any issues & im currently being a victim of racism due to not having the same last name as a family member after months of membership. This is unacceptable & a great prejudice to limit the resources available to peoe of color. I'm requesting for an amicable resolution to be made asap. Thank you for cooperation in advance.

Na
Jul 9, 2015

Comments

22nd of Oct, 2015

Sometimes the people at the branches overstep their bounds, and often their own personal beliefs enter into their decision on how to do their jobs.

I really hope this wasn't the case; however, your point about different last names is a good one. Why would they ask? There are numerous reasons a sibling would have a different last name - marriage, different father, adopted, legally changed for personal preference. Who the heck are they to question a last name? If there is a question about the motive of the depositor, they could obtain ID, make a note on the screen, and put a hold on the funds for a period of time. I've had this done when I've made an unusually large deposit after the sale of a car or house. And of course they can refuse a deposit to anyone other than the account holder if the deposit includes cash back. All of this should be clearly explained to the depositor. I agree with you, if their actions were solely based on your different name, that is beyond the scope of the teller's authority and a manager should have known better.