Nationwide Insurance / not on your side... for a home insurance complaint!

1 CO, United States Review updated:

We had severe damage to our roof due to a hail storm last June 2008. After noticing water coming in through our roof the following day, we contacted Nationwide. Ever since this day, they have constantly denied that we had hail damage and told us we had damaged our own roof and that our roof was just old. We have watched 95% of our neighbors have their roofs replaced ... Nationwide continued to delay and deny our claim. We requested an arbitrator and Nationwide passed their end of the claim off to a 3rd party company. This guy refused to use any of the arbitrators we suggested and kept trying to get us to use one of his arbitrators. My roofing company was OK with one of the guys and we went with this company (Gimple). Gimple took 2 more months to come out and look at our roof. He agreed that the front portion of our roof needed to be replaced due to hail damage, with the hail actually punching holes in our metal valleys. But he used Nationwide's measurements for the roof (which were only estimates, since they never measured our roof in detail ... remember - we had "no hail" damage!). When told his measurements were off, he said he also used Google Earth!! This program, according to Google Earth, is used for entertainment purposes only! Even though we have REPLACEMENT coverage, Nationwide will only give us a check for the incorrectly small roof replacement from their arbitrator Gimple. My insurance broker has never dealt with a worse company, my roofing company has never dealt with a worse company, and I've never seen such a bunch of immature incompetent fools. It's now been 11 months ... and my roof still isn't repaired. Nationwide ... a bunch of IDIOTS.

Nationwide Insurance
Nationwide Insurance

Ms

Comments

• La
      10th of Jun, 2009

I am going through a similar situation. Did Nationwide make misleading and false statements on their denial of coverages? (I got three denials, two of them backdated which I was able to prove, false statements, their "forensic engineer" lied on his report which I was also able to prove.

I prevailed on my complaint to the insurance commission. If you would like we could exchange our experiences to corraborate Nationwide' intentional and reckless handling of homeowner' claims.

my email is marvellos2 at aol.com

I look forward to hear from you.

• Ms
      28th of Sep, 2009

Over twenty houses on our street in the small Wynfield subdivision of Stourbridge have had their roofs replaced for hail damage. The only ones denied were three (3) Nationwide houses and one Erie. They accepted our money for an expensive REPLACEMENT policy for 18 years, then have just told us our roof was not put on correctly, hence the wear. Because we put on a nicer roof than most, they looked at the size of the hail damage on the gutters to determine whether the damage on the roof was "truly from hail", but we had put on the heavy duty Leaf Guard gutters which only had a very small perimeter showing at all. We have had three roofers tell me it is hail damage. My opinion? We have contacted the agent several times and after a month, have not heard back nor received a copy of the report. Nationwide is NOT on my side yet. If I do not hear from them soon in a favorable way, I'm thinking of class action suit. The roofers tell me Nationwide has taken a stance of non-payment of hail damage across the Charlotte region. I did not file a claim for insurance over the entire policy, but in the last couple years had two small claims which were inadequately taken care of with the reasoning that I should read the fine print. That replacement policy I bought into surely was described as something great -- only to find out it is only as good as the intentions of the company.

• Ms
      1st of Mar, 2010

Update on our Nationwide Complaint:

Nationwide has continued to deny that we had any hail damage. Then they said we only had pebble hail damage (that's what they call the hail in the picture below). Then they said we had soft hail damage.

They told us the only resolution was arbitration. Their arbitrator, that they hired immediately after I told them I had a roofing company, tried to deny the complaint. Twice, he tried to cancel the complaint when we wouldn't use his recommended umpire. He REFUSED to consider our recommendations for umpires!

Finally, we agreed to use their 3rd party umpire. Nationwide supplied the data for the size of our roof ... which was wrong by 500 sq ft. The umpire did determine we had hail damage that completely damaged the south side of our roof ... he said the north side wasn't damaged very much. But, in his "award", he forgot all taxes, permit fees, some of the materials, and was off on the size by 500 sq ft. Nationwide - who was refusing to pay the award determined by the umpire ... then immediately sent a check when we provided proof that the award was short by $4000. We complained to the managers at Nationwide ... thinking that we could settle this like adults. They put down in their notes we called them "children". Maybe they are! That's ridiculous.

We then complained to the state of Colorado. Nationwide backed down on their refusal to pay for the missing items, telling the state that they would have their 3rd party umpire reconsider these. They they NEVER did a thing!!

So now we're in litigation. We had to sit through a 6 hour deposition, they've tried to have the case dismissed twice, and tried to prevent us from deposing their appraiser.

NATIONWIDE ... NOT ON YOUR SIDE.

• M0
      27th of Sep, 2010

Nationwide Insurance financially raped me and let my roof leak for 4 years filling my home with black mold and devistation! I am financially broke because I had Nationwide Homeowners Insurance on my Condo and also as the Condo Association's Insurance. Nationwide Commercial division would NOT talk to Nationwide Residential division and allowed my home to because so damaged it was uninhabitable. I LOST MY HOME NOT BECAUSE OF PREDITORY LENDING, BUT BECAUSE OF NATIONWIDE INSURANCE !!!

Video and pictures to follow in near future. This needs to become a Federal issue for the new Consumer Protection Director Elizabeth Warren. Whoever wants to unite on in going to the Feds on this issue PLEASE email me at marisa5775@hotmail.com. This fraud needs to STOP!!!

• In
      26th of Oct, 2010

call your states department of insurance and file a complaint against your agent and adjuster / or hire a public claims adjuster you have a contract with nationwide they have to comply you can get help so dont just listen to some one blabbing and read your policy

• Jr
      6th of Feb, 2012

Definately NOT on Your Side. Same thing happened to me a few years ago. .
    Said the hail damage to my roof was product failure. The rub is they paid for hail damage for my dented vent. Needless to say I dropped them immediately. They are dishonest shysters.

• Cl
      28th of Aug, 2012

I am a retired adjuster, 38-years experience. At one time in my career I was looking at all of Allstate, Farmers and Prudentials new business roofs. This was a great management tool for the insurance carriers to prevent from writing new business with damaged or worn out roofs. I estimate that my company had looked at over 15, 000 roofs in the Tulsa Market area for those companies. However, they decided it was costing to much for our services.
    Just a few Months ago, my Step Son advised a hail storm had hit his neighborhood, and many of his neighbors were replacing their roof. He has a cedar wood shake roof, estimating 12 to 15-years-old. Last year before Nationwide would write a replacement policy on the roof, they required my Step Son to replace the ridge, split and loose shingles. He had a contractor out who completed the work requested---and they placed the policy on his home with replacement cost on the roof.He asked me to look at his roof to see if I could see any damage from the recent hail storm. I found several newly split shingles, hail impact marks with coresponding splits and hail damage. I told him he should turn in a hail claim...He turned it in, and an adjuster came out, climb the roof and inspected it. His findings was that it was a total, needing replacement due to the recent hail storm. The examiner then called him advising he did not agree with their adjusters findings, and only saw splatter hail marks. He wanted to send out an Engineer. He is now getting the run around by Nationwide. He called the adjuster who inspected the roof, and he forward his photos which he turned in to Nationwide. In review of the photos there is obvious hail impact marks, and coresponding splits and damage. The adjuster had taken a test square on the front and rear slopes, circling the hail hits he found. The test squares show 14-hits on one slope and 10-hits on the other...This is enough to total the roof. I told him to call the examiner's supervisor and ask him to review the photos with him. He did, and kept saying he did not see hail damage, only splatter marks in all the photos. He again said he wanted to send an engineer out to give an opinion. In investigating the engineer they want to send has been an expert witness in several of law suits filed against them. They had denied this fact to my Son in Law, and said they did not use him as their expert. THEY ARE SHOPPING FOR A WRITTEN OPINION TO SAY WHAT THAT WANT!!!

They also advised my Son in Law that what they were asking, sending an engineer out to re-inspect what their adjuster has already inspected and advised was a total, was not unusal, and is practiced as a standard in the industry. " BULL !!!" In my years of adjusting for several different companies, I have never had or heard of them calling out an engineer to re-inspect their own adjusters work. Engineers do not usually get involved unless the Insured is disagreeing with the adjuster's opinion and judgement on the scope of damages. Infact, the Nationwide Supervisor said they did not go on what the adjuster says, as they did not know what hail damage is, and they was not their job, but an engineer's job...WHAT THE HELL! Our job is to inspect, determine the scope of related storm damages, document our findings with photos and diagrams. Then, it is almost always asked for us to put the scope in an itemized estimate for the cost or replacement, based upon our findings. Also, my step son asked for the adjuster's estimate, and was advised by the supervisor they did not have an estimate, or notes enough from their adjuster to provide an estimate or make an offer of what they would do. My son in law called the adjuster who advised he had provided Nationwide with an estimate...

There is something rotten in Nationwide claims practices. They have committed the ultimate insurance claim practice Sin---They have lied, and mislead my Son-in-Law, their insured regarding facts of their claim work. They are going against what their own adjuster's has recommended by his on sight inspection findings and the documentation he has provided supporting the roof is a total loss due to the recent hail storm, and needs replacement.

This is a claim practice with " Malice", which means they are acting in "Bad Faith" Shame on Nationwide...Shame! Shame!! Shame!!!