Mr. Tire / Bad Installation, 4 New Tires

1 Marlboro and Aberdeen, MD, United States Review updated:

Mr. Tire failed to balance wheels after selling me a set of premium Perelli tires for over $500. (I bought them out of my area while traveling when I had a blowout in front of Mr. Tire in Marlboro, MD; I'll never schedule a blowout at such a place again!)
I noticed the typical thumping of unbalanced wheels and, after arriving home (near Aberdeeen, MD). Remembering that Mr. Tire offered me free balancing in the future, I visited another Mr. Tire, this time in Aberdeen, MD. "What's the problem?, " asked the less-than-enthusiastic counterman. "I believe my new tires were installed without being balanced, " said I.
Said Mr. Tire, "Which wheel?"
"I don't know, but the vibration sensor in my butt tells me the right-rear is reallly thumping; but please check all four."
No answer and an unhappy look from Mr. Mr. Tire. Reaching out his hand, he said in his victim role: "KEYS."
Diagnosis: Mr. Mr. Tire said the right-read wheel was "really out of balance." I assumed he checked the other three (another mistake on my part).
Finally, at my next oil change, I had all four wheels rebalanced. All four were sadly out of balance.
Unfortunately, I had never heard of Mr. Tire before buying these tires. (The tires are very good, by the way.)
I recommend you stay away from these people...unless you're buying unmounted tires to be installed by professionals.

Pe

Comments

• Jr
      15th of Jan, 2009

I totally agree with you about Mr. Tire. Please do not take our car there--mechanics will play a guessing game with you and take your money. The mechanics are not qualified to do anything!

• So
      2nd of Jan, 2011

These people crack me up. I had my car fully serviced just months before bringing it for TIRES at Mr. Tire. They of course recommended a list of items recently just completed by my trusted (20 years) mechanic. Yesl it is a business and I agree they need to recommend "necessary" items. The problem is there are too many of these large corporate outfits (branch bonuses are based on sales totals) that recommend services that are not needed. I could put a new filter in a car and have them recommend a new one is required just two months later (my favorite is the "look at the dirty filter" gimmick). It is unfortunate for those mechanics that are honest and work hard to protect the owner's investment. Well, my wife bit on the "required" alignment gimmick (unless you bang a curb or hit a major pothole, it is unlikely you need an alignment people). Now my back end is vibrating around. I will give them one shot to fix and then pay a few bucks to my trusted mechanic to do it correctly. I think they are simply incompetent at their work.

13th of Aug, 2011

mr tire 7500 block richie hwy glen burnie ripped me off, took car in for inspection for a scond time, that i had to pay for again, the first time they found
    two toe rods bent i replaced them also had to change headlights i replaced them took it back and now they said
    i have a ripped motor mount, [they had to cut it].
    because i only drove the car to there and back to home i don't see why i could get a ripped motor mount driving less than 20 miles warning don't deal with them unless you want to get ripped off.