Monitronics / Security alarm system

PO Box 814530 , Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:

Following a home break-in by teenagers, we were approached by ADT representative to sign up for a home security system. My husband and I agreed. We were perfectly satisfied with the system and service. Within a short time we were again approached by a representative of our security system. The representative told us that there was now an upgrade to our system. At no time did he disclose that he was NOT from ADT but in fact represented Devcon a totally different security company. Unknown to my husband and me we signed a 5 year contract. We were NOT told that was for 5 years or I would not have signed it. I felt taken advantage of by a slick salesperson by his not disclosing that I was signing for a contract for 5 years that could not be canceled. Now another change in our security system. Devcon is bought by Monitronics. We were notified by letter that this was taking place but received no further information. Now to present time. I became a widow when I lost my husband in July. With no family nearby I had to leave my home and am now residing with my daughter. I have contacted Monitronics twice to cancel the contract but have been told that to cancel I would have to pay $800.00 to pay off the remaining 17 months of my contact. Needless to say I do not have that kind of money to expend. I have lost my husband and home and face a contract that I am unable to fulfill or cancel. I feel trapped. Earlier in this form you asked if I was a senior. At 78yrs I certainly consider myself to qualify as a senior. As a widow I am on a fixed income and every penny counts in my effort to support myself.

So
Dec 16, 2015

Comments

•   Dec 17, 2015

Hello,
    We're very sorry to hear about your recent experience and we would like to investigate this further to address this matter. Please email us at [protected]@monitronics.com so that we may begin our investigation. We look forward to speaking with you and addressing this matter.
    Sincerely,