Monitronics Alarm / Contracts and scare tactics

A few weeks ago I got a knock on the door from ADT, a competitor of Monitronics Alarm. The ADT people were told me that there had been a break-in within the neighborhood and they wanted to make sure that I had an alarm sytem set-up in my house. Then it just hit me. Those were the exact same words that came from the guy that sold me the Monitronics alarm system almost 2 years ago. I felt really like a sucker for believing their scare tactics. Whether the break-in was true or not, I should have known to assess the situation and not get suckered to these long contracts costing you as much as $1500. With that money I could have just bought a $700 security home security camera that I can monitor from my laptop anywhere. I tried to cancel my contract, but no luck. They put some nice and fake acting business person to sell you the product then give you the worst costumer service person when you try to cancel. Bottom line, I was told I can't cancel even if I lost my job or get sick. They want their money, that's all and they don't care about your well-being and safety.

Comments

• Bi
      10th of Mar, 2010

I just wish more people would look on the Web for free or inexpensive self-monitoring solutions first. Two examples are highlightcam.com (which compresses video footage into relevant highlights) and homecamera.com (which can send motion-detection videos to your mobile).

But no question, these scare mongering tactics sure leave an awful taste in the mouth.