[Resolved] Mediacom / Scam charges

1 Dubuque, IA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-500-4847

After having Cable through Mediacom, It was time for me to move out of my apartment. I called Mediacom to let them know I was going to be stopping my cable on August 31st. They took note of it and I thought nothing of it. Later that month I received a bill that was my billing from August 12 to September 11th. The bill was for 32.55. This was my usual monthly bill.

So I called Mediacom and they told me that they had already sent that bill out when I told them to stop my service on august 31st and that I should ignore that bill and wait for a new corrected one that was prorated from August 12 to August 31st. So a month later I received a bill for the entire month of august and september as if I had continued my service.

So I called again and the guy relised the mistake and again said he would sent out a new bill and to be looking out for it. Once again a 3rd bill with 3 months of charges shows up as if I still had service at my old place. So I called again and he again said he corrected it and would send me a bill. Well, to my surprise I received a letter from collections saying I had an overdue bill that needed to be paid.

So I went to the center in town here and confronted the lady at the front desk who said that the bill had been corrected from August 12 to August 31st and sent to collections cause it was 90 days late and they felt I wasn't going to pay it (kinda hard when you are told to continue waiting on the next bill). So I asked her what the final bill was so I could finally pay it.

She said that their was a $6.50 charge for having to send it to collections, and I told them to bad, it was their faults for delaying me and sending it to collections and I didn't fell I should be responsible for paying for that fee. So she took that charge off and said the final bill was 39.20. 6.65 more than my normal bill. I asked why this was and some how Mediacom raised my bill to 44.20 for august. Some confusing made up numbers they added to make me pay more.

So I tried to explain to her that even if it was 44.20, the bill was prorated from August 12 to September 11 to August 12th to August 31st. So since I used 20 days out of 31 days, I used 65% of the month. I then (after showing it to her on a calculator) said that the bill should then be 28.73 not 39.20. She then had me call a billing center where I repeated this information to several people.

Finally I was given to a Supervisor who wouldn't talk to me personally, but had it relayed to me from a women who apparently didn't understand math. She avoided the fact that her math was flawed and kept saying, 'I'll remove the 6.50 charge from collections if you pay 39.20 now and she said that if it was her she'd take that deal'. Acting as if all this was my fault and I was trying to screw mediacom over.

I had them send me a bill with the exact numbers they used for the prorating, and I plan to call a supervisor and question where they got each number. I am currently paying 60 dollars with mediacom a month here at my new place, and plan to be here for 10 more months. So if mediacom wants to cheap me out of almost 20 dollars I'll end my service and cheap them out 600 dollars. Mediacom is a good service, but beware and check your final bill to make sure your not getting screwed over.

• Resolution statement

• We apologize for any issues you may have with the services or billing. If you would like us to look into the issue further for you please email us at SocialMediaTeam@mediacomcc.com or contact us on our forums at http://mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport

We are here 7 days a week and would be happy to help in any way possible.

Thanks
    Mediacom Social Media Relations Team

Va

Comments

24th of Apr, 2009

Were being overcharged and half the time some of the channels won't even work, they took the tv guide channel off and didn't put anything in place of it. Their service really SUCKS donkey d*ck

• Be
      15th of Aug, 2009

my mom is having a similar problem. If this is a widespread problem perhaps a class action attorney might be interested in investigating.

• Se
      5th of Jun, 2018

@beacon I too am having these issues. Along with their corroded equipment on the pole that was supposed to be replaced. I have been with them over 4 years had over 63 service calls. I had a passed due balance of $163. Then the following month my bill was $623. They credited my account which put my bill to $503 i called and had them note i would pay the ballance in full before the 20th of June. I had called to pay it today. To find out i would have to pay an additional $30 installation fee to reinstall services along with first month bill in advance. Then they told me my package i originally had would be $245 a month. They upped my bill from the promo deal without informing me. An when i was given the promo they said it would only raise $20. Then shut my service off 3 days ago When its in the notes i was going to pay the whole balance before the 20th. Which i don't think i should have to pay that outrageous amount for my promo deal ending when they stated it'd go up only $20 not almost $200.

• Ca
      11th of Jun, 2010

Media com is the biggest scam cable company in exsistence!!! They missed three appointments and then brought the wrong cable box and would not credit me anything. I waited for the installers three seperate times at 4 hrs per time. Among many other problems. The customer service department is absolutely no help! I called Media com to cancel there service, I asked the operator to transfer me to the cancellation department and they disconnected me. Do not get cable from Media com.

• Se
      5th of Jun, 2018

@Cancel media com Yes, they sent me two modems and multiple wrong boxes. Their internet and tv where constantly going out. An i was paying the highest amount and receiving the band width of their lowest package. I was with them for 4 years and had over 63 service calls. They are a Rip off and will add fees and charges without your consent or knowledge. Maybe somebody should look into a class action law Suit.

• Ro
      13th of Oct, 2010

I have been a Mediacom cust. for about 2 years. all of a sudden, my bill goes from $90.00 per month to $146.00 per month. I went to there local office in Marshalltown, Ia. to ask why because I hadn't added any new services. no explaination was given. well, stupid me I tried to keep up with the increase. i couldn't. after getting behind on my bill less than $50.00 the cut my phone and cable without any notice or phone call.this company sucks. They shouldn't treat new customers better than old customers, they suck!

• Co
      7th of May, 2011

i canceled my services with mediacom. when i did this i sent all of the boxes and cable modem back to the place where they told me to. they sent me packing slips. they had tracking numbers on them so i wrote them down for my records. A month after i sent the boxes and the modem back i recieved a charge for $500. they told me they didn't recieve the items back. I looked up the tracking numbers and it said that they recieved it 2 weeks before they charged my account. Beware!!! Keep tracking numbers if/or when you cancel services. They tried to screw me, they will try to screw you

• Mi
      26th of Feb, 2018

Thay are scams... I was close to over my internet allowance. So I upgraded to the higher package. Telling that I will not be changed anything over. Then thay charged me $80 over and I call them and no it's not what thay said... find a different company...

• Mi
      3rd of Mar, 2018

Seems the common response to ALL the complaints is that they tried to contact the person but were unable to. Horse hockey!!! They don't care about anything but the all mighty dollar. At one point I was paying $187.00 a month for cable and internet and I had NO premium channels. Seemed every month there was a "misc chg" on my bill. No one could tell me what it was but they couldn't talk it off. MediaCom is absolutely the worst company in this country. Why the FCC doesn't step in and do something I don't know. Probably just like the rest of our government, line their pockets and they can get away with anything!!!

3rd of May, 2018

I cancelled service 4 years ago due to out of state move. Boxes and modem sent back via ups. Got a collections call requesting settlement. I was shocked that they had not called me in 4 years . They wanted $350.00
    I refused and they say I never returned items when I did return them. I followed the rules and get extorted anf 800 credit score ruined. I spoke with customers service and not heard back. Ups store does not keep records 4 years old. I have moved and can't find receipt
    This is a scam! I will fight this in the courts and social media.