Maytag Washer & Dryer / do not waste your hard earned money on maytag

I bought the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer in 2002 and spent quite a lot of money on these machines. The dryer works fine, but the washer is a complete piece of junk. The rubber ring inside soon developed black mold in it and mold keeps trying to accumulate in the soap dispenser and other parts. The mold gets worse every week and the stench is awful. I'm starting to smell it on our clothes. I've tried bleach, Clorox Cleanup and OxyClean to no avail.

Despite having sent the postcard back in to register the appliance, I never received notice of the class action lawsuit they settled last year. I called the customer service department and was told I was out of luck. I have proof of purchase, but they will not do anything to help me resolve the matter. I was told to put some dishwasher detergent in the machine with some bleach, but I am dubious that will work. In any event, the mold is certain to return because the product is defective.

My husband and I will NEVER purchase another Maytag appliance again. I am a real estate agent and sometimes am asked by my clients what I think of certain appliances. I will council my clients to avoid all Maytag appliances. They build a shoddy product and do not stand behind it when it falls apart.

There are plenty of good manufacturers out there; do not waste your hard earned money on Maytag.

A  19th of Jan, 2007 by
I purchased a Maytag washer almost 6 years ago that began making noise over the weekend. I'd called and arranged for a service tech to come look at it and give me a repair estimate.

He was on time, professional and knowledgeable. I suppose this is reflected by the fact that he said he's seeing a lot of this kind of problem with Maytag products. In short order he gave me an estimate of $547 to repair a machine that according to him was NOT under any sort of warranty. Maytag claims the machine had a transmission warranty that extended to 10 years. But even with that, it was going to cost in excess of $300 for the repair labor.

I called Maytag in hopes that they might have a customer advocacy program or similar mechanism. Not a chance of that happening so don't bother calling them. The people that I spoke with were very nice but as the saying goes, "nice don't feed the bulldog". I asked was there any way they could help me and the answer consistently was that the warranty was what it stated. I've purchased 4 major appliances from Maytag in the last 6 years. I told the company representatives that this WILL be the last.

I can't say strongly enough, don't buy Maytag, tell your friends not to buy Maytag, tell your enemies that Maytag is just fine, tell your relatives to run if they're asked to buy Maytag appliances. Gordon Jump (The Maytag Repairman) must be spinning in his grave.
A  16th of Apr, 2007 by
I purchased a Maytag washer SAV5401AWW in May 2003. I had an older Maytag (over 22 yr old) and had only had one service call, costing about half the price of a new machine. Hence, I figured I'd buy another (new) Maytag. This was a huge mistake! I wish I had kept my original.

Starting in March 2004, I had the first of four tub seal failures, approximately one per year. The first was under the original warranty, so we purchased the extended warranty. Then I had three more, but since the first was under manufacturer's warranty, it doesn't count for the "Lemon Law". This fourth repair has now exceeded the cost of the original machine (a small print clause in the extended warranty) so my balance is being refunded and I will have to pay for the repair part (there was enough dollar balance to cover the labor).

Each time, the machine would make very loud noises (I guess from the bearings), "walk" all over the place (like an unbalanced load, except this happened with every load), eventually the washer would leak (but after the first time I knew what the problem was and didn't let it go that far).

One of the service repairmen told me this was really an Amana design, which is why it was so terrible. Anyway, I will never buy another Maytag and urge others to do the same.
A  30th of Jul, 2008 by
I will never buy another Maytag product either. I purchased a Maytag Atlantis washer and dryer and have had nothing but trouble.
N  10th of Mar, 2009 by
I bought a Maytag Performa 10 years ago worked like a horse no problems..then all the sudden the tub would go out of balance and jump all over the place go and reajust the load and no sooner get up the stairs it would start again.called the people and they said replace the 6 springs the holds the tub to the bottom ..no change ..I replaced those myself only cost me 35.00 then a leak came in the tub I was ready to throw it out the door but didnt and fiberglassed the tub no more leak but still have the unbalancing act. Called a repair man he said check the leveling legs they were rusted solid I sprayed them with oil and freed them up stopped jumping around for a few days but went back to the old bronking horse...they tell me Im better off to go buy a new one...from all the complaints Iv read it will not be another Maytag...
N  30th of Dec, 2009 by

Maytag Washer & Dryer - Poor Condition of surface

I have been noticing that the surface around the controls is discolored and stained. They are inside and not subject to any weather.
I called the customer service dept and was advised that because there had been no previous reports of this issue there is nothing they are willing to do.
What a disappointment!!!