Maytag / French Door Refrigerator

Posted:

problems with the ice maker!

4.1
I bought my maytag ice2o French door refrigerator from home depot 8 mos ago. Loved it when I got it, but soon after had problems with the ice maker. They replaced the ice maker. Now the ice maker is still having problems. Its not strong enough to break up all the ice. The ice cubes freeze in big blocks causing the system to clog. Last night the thing took on a mind of its own. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing all on its own, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. Finally we had to unplug it so we could get 4 hours sleep. Plug it in this morning and its still doing it. My biggest concern is what happens after the warranty runs out. I already know this thing has mechanical problems. Did I get a lemon or is it junk?? Either way I'm stuck with a $2,800 refrigerator that seems like it has bad engineering.
Maytag Customer Care's Response, Mar 31, 2017
Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at Maytag_Reviews@Maytag.com with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.
Complaint comments Comments (422)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Appliances

Comments

A  28th of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
Ok, I just have to put my 2 cents worth in now.. Bought this beautiful dreamy looking French doors refrigerator complete with the best ice maker on the market, nice tag at $ 3895.00 plus tax. But, it's a Maytag, they're the best there are, right? Nope, find out now, when we experience the same issue as all the rest, flapping, noisy ice maker door. BUT, even better, the part is no longer manufactured so we can't even repair it. Nicely done Maytag.
I called Maytag after reading the 100s of comments on this site and the customer service rep I spoke to says there is nothing at all in their system that tells her there are any issues with this model that she is aware of. I suggested she Google this model of their refrigerator and read the reviews and then she will be aware of it as well. I asked what am I to do about it now and she assured me that the "Maytag Authorized Repairman" IN MY city would contact me within 48 hours. I asked if I could have the name of the local company so that I could expect their call, the customer service person said that the service company requests that my info be given to them, not the other way around.. That should have been my first hint of how this was going to go. It's a full 3 days later and I have not received a call. I decided to contact a local company myself and they came out the same day. When I told them that the authorized repairman has not called me yet, he told me that there is not an authorized Maytag repair company in this city. Another thumbs up to you in that one too Maytag!
So, yes, my issue is the ice maker door flap. The repair company checked their appliance parts supplier and manufacture of this part has been discontinued.. Well, I guess Maytag realized the replacement doesn't work either...
I had him just unplug the ice maker so that we can use the fridge. Fingers crossed, knowing now I sure did not get what I paid for. I have a 35 year old GE deep freeze that has never given us a single problem, an ancient Kenmore, same thing and then you buy the cream of the crop and you get a big fat lemon.
N  22nd of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Grillus7 I received a call from Maytag/Whirlpool offering a discount on another product of theirs as the control panel that solves the problem is no longer available. I just do not understand why a company would stop making the apparent fix for the hundreds (600+?) of people who have to deal with an appliance that they paid a lot of money for that becomes useless in less than 10 years. Are they not embarrassed that many of us also own GE products that have been in our families since the 60/70/80s and are still doing their jobs? What would it take for someone like this massive world-wide manufacturing conglomerate with electronics divisions to make a control board to solve the problem with the product that THEY manufactured? Sadly, all they offer you is another one of their products. Sure, like I am going to trust that..
N  16th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Grillus7 Well, we had peace and quiet for 2 weeks, I guess we are lucky... Yesterday it started all over again. The noisy flapping ice maker door began again which MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL since it has been disconnected (not just with the shut off on the button, but unplugged as well inside the ice maker) I tried the email again that Maytag gave me to contact them with further information and this time it worked. Fingers crossed, looks like I'm having to count on them to give us some time of solution after all. Could we be among the 'certain lot' of known ones that are bad? I notice they only reply to some of the complaints and cannot tell why to some and not others.
N  4th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Grillus7 Maytag? Do you care to give me an email address that is NOT invalid by chance?
N  1st of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Maytag admin Maytag_Digital@Maytag.com is apparently an invalid email address.
N  29th of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Grillus7 @Grillus7:

Thank you for your review. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your Refrigerator. If you still need assistance, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (Complaintsboard), your user ID name (Grillus7), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to Maytag_Digital@Maytag.com. We would be happy to review your concerns further.
N  29th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
in 2011 we decided to purchase all new appliances for our kitchen. We were retired and wanted new so we didn't have to worry about "fixing" them. We decided to buy MAYTAG as thru the years we saw the commercials that said "you never have to call a repairman" and showed him sitting there bored as can be. WE bought Model #MMV5208WW microwave and in 2014 it went out. We took it to the dealer who checked it and said it was the Magnetron tube, the most expensive part and it would cost us 380.00 to repair...we bought a new microwave instead as that was more than we could buy a new one for. Between that time and now our ice maker went out on our Model MVF2258XEW refrigerator, my husband repaired that as the extended warranty we bought did not cover that part, of course...then we woke to find water all over the floor in front of the freezer...we that wasn't covered either...the back of the freezer FROZE up...so my husband being handy, took the back off and was able to clear the frozen back and fix that...just this week, not quite 6 years after buying the refrig/freezer we came home to find everything in the freezer part was thawed...and called the repairmen to check it...they said the compressor had gone out...yes it is covered and we felt relief...however the labor, which is our part is 378.63...PLUSE THE FROZEN MEAT AND OTHER ITEMS IN THE FREEZER...we were shocked to say the least...so we were not smart in buying new MAYTAG appliances for our retirement because all we have done is replace or repair them...we are so disappointed in MAYTAG and recommend no one make the same mistake that we have ...needless to say the next time something goes wrong we will buy a new refriderator...funny thing is the one we replaced the new one with is 17 yrs old and still running in our sons home...never had to repair anything on it...ever...we should have stayed with that brand...
N  3rd of Jul, 2017 by    0 Votes
@japonica japonica:
Thank you for your review.We are sorry to hear that your Refrigerator is not cooling. We would like to inquire further about your review with you. Please respond back to Maytag_Reviews@Maytag.com, with your name, phone number, street address, zip code, model & serial number, and date of purchase on the Refrigerator.We look forward to your reply.
A  30th of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
What u gonna do about it I got same problem with my maytag fridge one year from aarons
N  31st of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Patricia Mcgeachy Dear Patricia Mcgeachy: We are sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Refrigerator.
A  25th of Sep, 2016 by    0 Votes
Ice maker on 3 yr old Maytag french door bottom refrigerator stopped working yesterday. Not a happy Maytag customer! The old Whirlpool worked fine for years with only one repair.
N  30th of Jun, 2016 by    0 Votes
Do you people think I or anyone else will consider for even a minute buying a Maytag appliance after being inundated with stupid 30 second videos of the New Maytag Man impersonating appliances to the tune of Colonel Boogies March or Boy George's "I'll tumble for you " ?

Fools you are, , , , Fools we are not ! !
N  6th of Jun, 2016 by    0 Votes
Microwave caught on fire last month when not in use. Son was cooking on stove and looked up and said microwave was on fire. Thought it was a joke but it wasn't. Fire went right threw the round glass to the bottom. Took pictures and it is in garage but getting ready to pitch it.

N  3rd of Jul, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Sandy Isenberg Sandy Isenberg: We're truly sorry to hear this. We would like to inquire further about your review with you. Please email us at Maytag_Reviews@Maytag.com with with your name, phone number, street address, zip code, model & serial number, and date of purchase on the Microwave. We look forward to your reply.
Thank you.
N  11th of Feb, 2016 by    0 Votes
Our fridge is much older this now being 2016. I feel lucky that it asted this long without the errant and insane flapping of the ice door and strobe light panel display. Our first experience occured two weeks ago with the mostnrecent at 3:00 a.m. night before last. We had a 5 yr extended warranty on this unit and I have alralready replaced the light display myself about 2yrs ago. I doubt that MAytag will help us since the fridge is now 8 yrs old but the answer is always mo unless you ask. Stay tuned

A  30th of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
My 4-year-old 3-door Maytag refrigerator experienced same problems as other customers: Blinking lights, groaning sounds, off for two days, on for a couple of hours, off again. A call to Maytag/Whirlpool convinced me to buy the Repair +1 warranty for more than $350. No service available for one week. (Thank God we had a relic of an Amana in the garage.) Repair man determined it was an internal electrical problem and he could not fix it. Then he offered to take my Maytag away and move the Amana from the garage into my kitchen. I said I wanted to keep some of the parts (which I found online sell for $200 to $300). Oh, no, he was not interested in "helping" me if he could not have the whole refrigerator, claiming he intended to use it to teach young refrigerator technicians. ARE YOU KIDDING? He wanted my "unfixable" refrigerator so he could sell the parts! Then the call came from the warranty folks informing me that they'd refund what I'd paid for the warranty … but that I had nothing more coming. Well, thanks for nothing, Maytag! That was the last Maytag/Whirlpool appliance that I will ever purchase. Meanwhile, I gave my unfixable Maytag to a neighbor who is researching the problem, and I'll bet he'll figure out how to fix it.
N  21st of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
I just got off the phone with Maytag regarding my 8 yr old model MFI2568AEQ which is having the same water/ice dispenser issues as noted in all previous posts. Customer Service (LOL) was of no use, even after speaking to supervisor. Same old story about there being no recalls or quality issues. I asked who decides if there is a quality issue and was told that it was the company engineers. I commented that of course they won't find anything wrong with their product. I stated I was a loyal Maytag customer, that all my kitchen and laundry appliances where Maytag, and believe that I deserve some type of credit for loyalty. The Customer Service Supervisor stated I may be eligible for the Loyalty Retention Program which would give me a discount in the purchase of a new Maytag refrigerator. I told her I wasn't financially in a place to purchase a new refrigerator and that if I was, based on recent events, I wouldn't be buying another Maytag. Very disappointed in Maytag.
N  16th of Nov, 2015 by    0 Votes
I have the same problem as others mention, lights flashing and ice door flapping. Second time over the holidays with family too!! The control board has to be replaced which generally is not available so count on waiting at least a week to get the part and then again to schedule a repairman. Ridiculous!! Problems with Maytag appliances started when Whirlpool bought the company and moved the manufacturing facility. Lost lots of experienced technicians so now they are junk!! They also raised the prices, put people out of work and don't stand behind their product. When I called the service center, they tried to tell me the model # didn't exist. Then offered to make an appointment in the area but could only promise a week from today but wouldn't give me the # so I could call myself. When I complained, they gave it to me and the local repairman told me he could come out immediately but he had to charge me an additional $15 as Whirlpool charged them for every call they made. CRAZY!! $115 to diagnose the problem when I already knew the problem. Also, told me the control boards are on backorder and could be weeks. NEVER AGAIN!!!
A  21st of Oct, 2015 by    0 Votes
I had the same problem as ice door flapping and lights blinking. I called Maytag and they told me, since refrigerator is bought in 2006, I can buy extended warranty and any repairs will be covered. I bought the warranty and they scheduled the appointment which was 1 week later. The repairman came, checked refrigerator and told me that High voltage board needs replacement. I ask him to get it. The board arrived next week. Repairman put the new board and still no luck. He told me that front low voltage board (behind buttons) has problem and needs to be ordered. Since it would be covered by warranty, I asked him to get it. A week later I followed up with the appliance repair shop and they said that the matter is now sent back to Maytag warranty dept and I need to check with them. Upon calling them they said that the repair can not be done as the part is not available and they had already refunded the warranty. So I was on my own. Since I am somewhat handy with electronics I decided to look into the issue myself. I looked up the forum and found the capacitor mod. I checked existing capacitors and they looked good. Still I changed it to see if it makes any difference. It did not help. I checked removed capacitors are they were good (Open resistance when checked with multi-meter). So I replaced them back. Then I tried to see the continuity between wires (gang of 6 wires) on the board at top left corner with wires coming from the top of the refrigerator going to door and found that Black/Green wire and Red wires were showing short. I was surprised and tried to find the circuit diagram online. The socket appears as J6 (It has 6 pin connector) and it showed that those wires are12V (Red) and Ground (Black/Green). Then I traced those wires and those were going to Evaporator circuit and ice maker. I opened Ice maker and disconnected the wires. Still there was short between those wires. So I opened bottom freezer and opened the rear panel. I found the evaporator fan. Once I disconnected it and checked continuity, I found the no short. I decided to power the fridge with evaporator fan removed to check if I can see it starts. To my amazement, it stated with all lights and numbers. I heard compressor kick in. Also the water dispenser was working. I check the cooling coil temp and it was cold too. I shut the refrigerator off and ordered fan from Amazon for $90. I received it 2 days later. Then I replaced it and the refrigerator is working again!! I observed that the with Ice maker is on, temperature in the HV board goes up quite high. There is no ventilation in the box. If Ice maker is turned off (there is a button on ice maker) it is in ok range. Since the capacitors are very close to SMPS (with heat sink), those get hot too. Could that be the reason those fails? don't know.
N  31st of Mar, 2017 by    0 Votes
@ddking5 Dear ddking5: We are sorry to hear of your Refrigerator concerns.
N  23rd of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
Omg had the icemaker replaced also the water is hot it don't make enough ice it's not worth the money I payed for it maytag need take this refrigerator and give us our money back patricia jersey City new jersey

PL
A  6th of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
is there any...flippin'...solution?
N  18th of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
Same problem here - ice door flapping, lights blinking, compressor not running. Whirlpool claims there has never been a recall on my model (7 years old)l. They insisted there should be another digit after the model number. There isn't. So they don't even know what model numbers they've used. I tried replacing the capacitors but I get the same problem. I verified connectivity of my solder joints, even tried different combinations in case one of my replacement caps was bad. Trying to order a new board but it will be a few days. If anyone knows of other components to replace, I'd love to hear ideas...
A  13th of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
Well, I guess I will have to join the dissatidfied Maytag fridge owner crowd. I cannot believe that whirlpool has not been shut down yet or held accountable to theirinferior products. When my wife suggested to start changing out some of our aging appliances and she really would like the stainlessbodies. Our 18 year old Maytag side by side fridge with icemaker had performed beautiful during this time with some minor problems to the icemaker function that I was able to repair myself. So why not upgrade to another Maytag Fridge. Wrong!!! Bought 3 door French model 36 inch with dispenser and Stainless steel Model MFT2574DEM01 on Nov 21 2014. After installment by our local furniture store personnel we started hearing a loud continuoussound coming from the fridge. This piercing sound was audible anywhere in our one level rancher home and was also commented on by whoever entered the house. A call was then made to the furniture store where the fridge was bought and we where more or less told that they were just selling the product and that Whirlpool Canada would have to be notified by myself with the problem. In other words I was told to pound sand.This started a trail of 3 different appliance repair companies, multiple phonecalls to the technical department and many, many e-mails to Whirlpool Canada customer service department. To date 6 seperate visits have been made by repairmen where the cheap plastic noisy fans have been replaced with identical Panasonic or China garbage. Plastic housing, plastic fan blades that are the problem with a constant sound, especially when in the icecube making function, similar to the sound you hear like the emergency signal on the TV or Radio. This high pitch sound overpowers conversation, music or the TV ANYWHERE in the house. It is now July 2015 and the problem still exists. After another E-mail to Whirlpool Canada I have been told that my warranty is only good for replacement parts only and a technician would have to declare my fridge not repairable in order to qualify for a refund or replacement and I should contact the technical department again. We all know how long that takes, right!!. " Press 1 for this, press 2 for that etc, etc and of course "please hold the line, all our agents are busy right now...". The last visit last Friday the appliance repairman (very capable and honest and patient) he had been told to phone the Whirlpool Technical department himself and report his findings. He went as far as holding the phone to the fridge so the long distance technician could hear the noise for himself. He was again told to place an order for a replacement fan but include the replacement of the icemaker fan housing. Expect to to get a call from the repairman in 2 weeks. Meanwhile here we are months later with the noise, inconvenience and frustration. In my opinion they will not admit that there is a design problem to the fridge unless all replacement fans are deemed defective. In their defence they have extended my warranty another six months from November 2015 (1 year) to May 2016, although this was related to me verbally and do not have this in writing. Never, never again. The manufacturer AND the store will never see me again and BTW I'll be keeping the rest of my older appliances of all makes and models.
N  7th of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
Maytag refused to help me! I have an almost 8 year old Amana with the very same problem I've called several times and even spoke to a supervisor. It's laughable, but I too purchased an extended warranty. If there is a class action law suit for this faulty component, please let me know how to add my name to the list. Maytag was once a reputable firm, now their products are terrible. I will never buy from them again!
N  6th of Jul, 2015 by    +1 Votes
RE: Blinking lights, flapping ice dispenser on Maytage Ice2O model MFI2568AEB. Just to let all know, this problem started on my fridge Saturday, July 4, 2015. Today, Monday, July 6, I called Maytage customer service, not once, but 3 times. First I was told no record of this problem and they would connect me with parts department so I could order part - I hung up. Called dealer I purchased unit from in 2006 - $315 for part and labor and could repair tomorrow. Told them I would call them back. Second call to customer service - told same thing - no problems on record but I could purchase HVboard and 1 year warranty. Asked to speak with super, but on hold for over 20 mins. Called 3rd time. Third time being the charm! Took 1 hr and 50 mins but they have scheduled "goodwill service" and unit will be repaired tomorrow at no cost to me :).
A  2nd of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
We have had the repairman out here three times in three years for three different problems. Our icemaker stopped making ice about a year ago. When I live chatted with company representative, she too said there are no documented problems with the French door model number MFI2665XEB5. Actually you cannot find that model, it states it does not exist, the rep gave me a new model number. Perhaps they have had numerous complaints but you cannot find them since they change the model number. I feel three separate issues is many for two years. The rep, Kristin S. stated parts need to be replaced over time. I agree with her but three times in two years seems excessive. She was no help but I must say they train their representatives well because she did not budge. Needless to say this will be the last Maytag (Whirlpool) product I purchase since they obviously do not stand behind there products.
N  31st of May, 2015 by    +1 Votes
I just wished I researched before purchasing my Maytag; this is the worst refrigerator I have ever had. Always had problems with the door closing, a piece of junk, now it seems its not getting cold, everything is defrosting, not sure what to do, so not happy with his piece of crap.
A  18th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
My Maytag is about 4/5 maybe longer years old and I had the same problem with the ice flap going crazy. I did not buy extended warranty; but Maytag did pay to have fixed. Now I am having problems with the ice maker again. Think I would have been better off to buy a inexpensive refrigerator.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree