Mango Airlines (FlyMango) / theft and damage to baggage/delays!

1 OR Tambo King Shaka International, South Africa

My E- Mail to Mango Good Day, My daughter and I flew Mango on the 16/12 and returned from King Shaka to OR Tambo on the 23/12 (JE248). Apart from the flight being delayed both times, the return flight was almost one and a half hours delayed. Only to arrive and find our bag has been tampered with. Lock and zips broken. On inspection to find my daughters Christmas present, her watch which she had chosen at the Gateway Shopping Centre stolen as well as my ASICS running shoes and her Salomon shoes also missing. I reported it to Mango - Ref 10791. On the 23rd. Agent Nissy Also went to the Police Station on the 24th - Ref No. CAS 517/12/2015 Please advise on next steps. Mango’s response Good Day Mr. At the outset please permit me to thank you for bringing this unfortunate episode to our attention. I also wish to apologize for the fact that your privacy was invaded. Losing anything- immaterial of the value of the item, is always traumatic, and to lose it with the knowledge that some scoundrel has seen it fit to invade one’s privacy in such a lamentable manner, is perhaps ten times worse. I once again want to apologize for the inconvenience this unfortunate incident may have caused you. We do view all our baggage claims in a very serious light, we have 3 forums whereby we address theft, damages and miss loaded baggage as this is not unusual in our environment this is also reported thru to various levels such as ACSA, SAPS and our service providers, internally our security department tasks and follows up on all reported matters in an attempt to minimize these occurrences. Your report also states that you checked in a bag 1 /21 upon arrival bag received 1/20, please be advised of Mango’s payout policy, Mango pays out at a rate of R140 per kilogram. Our liability in the case of Damage to Checked Baggage shall be limited to R140.00 per kilogram and shall further be calculated to a limit of R2 500 per claim. If the weight of the Baggage is not recorded on the Baggage Check, it is presumed that the total weight of the Checked Baggage does not exceed the applicable free Baggage allowance. 12.1.6 All claims will be calculated in terms of the actual weight of items lost/damaged/pilfered. Claims will be settled in terms of clause 13.1.5. MANGO will not consider any claims for the replacement of items at replacement value. We may refuse to accept Baggage for carriage unless it is in our reasonable opinion properly and securely packed in suitable containers. We will not accept responsibility or pay compensation for Damage caused to items or parts inclusive of wheels, locks, padlocks, zippers and extractable handles protruding from or attached to bags or for Damage caused as a result of improperly packed Baggage. To process your claim for the missing 1 kilogram : Mango requires an affidavit stating the loss, we would also need a copy of your identity document, and banking details i.e. bank statement or cancelled cheque. Once these documents are received a claim is processed. I trust the above information will be of assistance to you. Should you require further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to inform me. My response: Thanks for your reply, I must admit I am very disappointed in Mango's response. So I can claim for R140?? The lock that was broken is worth more than that, never mind the repairs needed on the damaged suitcase. The watch and two pairs of shoes that were stolen while in Mango's possession is a total value of R3500!! I have done over 40 000 air miles this year and not had one incident with your competitor airlines. Being delayed, causing inconvenience and additional costs and the invasion of privacy will be taken further. Mango is a disappointment and I will ensure my experience is conveyed through various communication platforms. No response from Mango…………

Sh