Macy's / macy's credit card

United States, Illinois Review updated:
Dear Macys -

As one of your "valued customers" I would like to let you know that I'm not feeling so valued. Initially, I was issued a credit card with Macys for $500. I was doing so well with my credit card, that you decided to give me a $200 increase! Wow! Well, as of recently, I saw that my card had been expired since March of 2009. I waited and waited and waited for a new card to come, but never recieved one.

Today, I went to pay my bill at my neighborhood Macy's store. I was in need of a MAC compact, so I decided to ask the clerk if she could print me off a temporary shopping pass because my new card had not came in the mail yet. She kindly said, "Sure! Let me contact corporate and ask them why you haven't recieved your new card yet." When she started talking to the representative from Macy's named Linda, (which I'm not changing the names to protect the innocent, because none of you at Macy's are innocent right now; plus, there's probably like 2 billion Linda's that work for you) Linda explained to me that I was over my credit limit. I said, "Linda, that cannot be. I have a $700 credit limit, and I'm positive I've only spent $600 or so on it." She said, "Ma'am, with the recent drop in your credit score, Macy's reserves the right to drop your credit limit without notification."

What? Excuse me? Without notification? I think if I should be notified of anything, that would be something to notify my about, but I understand now why you decided to let that little detail slip. In your terms and conditions, you print in size 5 font that Macy's is not at liberty to notify me when you decide to lower my credit limit. This is such a nice trap for you to make some extra cash. And I'm sure the gaggle of lawyers that you have working for you to find loop holes said, "You can get them this way!"

So Macy's, consider me done with you. I'm cancelling my credit card and never shopping at your store again. Making my credit limit drop without notifying me is kind of like magic! Oh wait, that's "the magic of Macy's"

Stephanie Kurtz
Collinsville, IL

A  24th of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I strongly agree. They have just done that to my daughter. Never a late payment, but she was paying minimum, so they decided that they would cut her credit limit. They have done about three times already in the last few months. Now, her interest rate is going to go up. Enough is enough. she decided to opt out of the Visa. To top that off, I made a payment for her at the Springfield, IL store and wondered why the receipt said REVOLVING. I thought it was maybe an internal thing until my daughter checked her account and they had posted it to her store card. I tried to get it fixed and was told that it was her account and that she had to call. That annoyed me so I told the credit guy that it was MY check and they didn't have a problem accepting it and they didn't have a problem putting it on the wrong account. It took her three calls for the ###s to get it right. She then opted out and closed the Visa. Now, suddenly they fired her for --get this--- for stealing their stinking coupons which are no good anyways. They exclude everything under the sun so they are worthless. I wonder if they were retaliating because we pushed back against their money-grubbing Visa card. Folks, stay away from Macy's and don't waste your time with their coupons.
A  1st of Mar, 2010 by
Macy's also decreased my credit limit. I paid the card off in full each month for 10 months and they decreased my limit from someunknown amount, which they claim was $200 even though I was never notified of this limit, to $130. They claimed that the reason was that I missed one $5 payment. I too will never shop a Macy's again and I cancel my card within the month when I pay my balance in full.
A  24th of Mar, 2010 by
Macy's decreased my limit from $1400 to $200 to $100. I have never been late. Did the 3mos no interest for my mattress and paid it off early. My payment date fell on a Sunday...I didn't realize it until that Monday and I paid it right then. $5.00 whole dollars and they decreased my limit to $100.00 (and I have a gold card).

I made a mistake and overpaid them...now I have a $19.00 credit. Wowwwww...and that still doesn't matter to them.
A  25th of Jun, 2010 by
I never mised a payment with Macys and had a platinum card with a 1000 limit. They lowered it to 360.00. I did 5k in business in a year. I called and complained to their executive office. They were rude and uncareing. They told me because I had a problem with other creditors they were reduceing my limit and may reduce it further. My advice if you credit gets messed up with some other company that has nothing to do with Macys then dont even bother to pay them. For example if you go deliquent on your BP credit card, macys wont like you.
A  27th of Sep, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
When I opened my Macy's account, I was given a credit limit of $100.00. Six months later, they raised the limit to $1000.00. Of course, they didn't tell me this. I found out about that by checking my credit report. So this past week, I thought I had $1000.00 limit, but I went to purchase $187.52 in merchandise and had my card declined. The cashier called the credit department and they informed her that my balance is $317.38, and I only have $13.00 available credit. When asked why this was, they stated that I had had issues with outside credit in July, so they were using that as the basis for lowering my credit limit. This was news to me. I haven't had any issues with any of my credit accounts. I've never been late on a credit card payment or my car loan. It seems to me that they just make up stuff to suit their own needs. But anyway, I was never informed of my credit line being decreased. I will be paying off my account as well as my husband's and closing both as soon as I can.
N  5th of Oct, 2010 by
Macy's Credit tactics are stupid I have 3 macy's accounts because they own Kaufman, and Marshall fields now and they have lowered all 3 accounts credit limits without notice!!! They could have the common decency to at least tell a person that they are doing that I was very embarrassed when my purchase was declined the other day, They lowered my credit limits cause I had some credit issues with credit outside of Macys it did not matter that I had never missed a payment with them in10 years!! I have spent thousands of dollars at macys and this is the thanks I get. They don't care they really don't, I could see this if I was late on payments with them but this is not the case. Today I sent a letter to the CEO Of Macys I hope it helps, they are treating people badly that have a outside credit issue. And It dose not matter who you talk to or what you say or how loud you yell at the credit center they say they cant do any thing about it.
A  5th of Oct, 2010 by
I sent A letter to the CEO Of Macy's today explaing my feelings of they whole credit issue .Here is the name and address .Maybe if everyone did the same It would help.all of us. and the future of our credit accounts for us and others to come. I sent my letter certified mail to Terry Lundgren CEO of Macy's 151 west 34th st. New York, New York 10001 Good luck to all!!!
D  19th of Jan, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Wow all of you need to read terms and conditions that is given to you every year and when you sign up and agree to them. It clearly states that at anytime the company may increase or decrease you based on your outside credit and credit with them. So we were notified. This is a credit card so yes it does matter what your credit is you could have great credit with one company always pay on time in full etc and never pay others or not be paying your car, house etc sorry to say that does affect you. With all the new credit card laws that Obama helped inact you can thank him for this. So writting to a CEO of a company isn*t going to help they can*t go against the law. If it says if a credit score goes below such and such you as a company must decrease said account, it*s going to happen so stop being babies you know deep down your the wrong one and just want someone to blame.
D  10th of Feb, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree with "Really...now???" It's your responsibility to know what your terms and conditions are. All credit card companies do this and I'm sorry they don't tell us, but they don't have to. Get over it and know what you've signed up for.
N  12th of Jun, 2011 by
Has anyone ever had issues with finding out what your credit limit is? I think they decreased mine too which i dont mind but one day i called to find out and the rep. said she couldnt tell me my available credit or credit limit just my balance and minimum payment. Other companys dont do that from what ive experienced and i find it wierd and wonder why they do that?

Macy's Logo Macy's