Macy's Credit Card / product charges and fees

United States Review updated:
Well, I thought it would be a good idea to get a card from Macy's after all they were offering a huge percentage off of my purchase. Let me tell you it was a rip off! The people that work for there card company are either incompetent or they just like to mke ridicules charges in order to swindle people out of money. After giving the correct address for my account I had not received a bill and then finally it came in the mail forwarded from a very old address and was the final notice on the account from a $46 dollar charge to now over one hundered dollars from late charges. I called to complain and they said there was nothing I could do but pay the charges. Needless to say I paid off the charges and then a few months went by and I went back to macy's and made some purchase. The same thing happened I noticed to another person I noticed they charged the macy's card instead of charging the credit card I gave them, the only reason I wanted use the card was for the discount (which after 20 minutes they finally found out that I still had the wrong address on my account). When I recieved the next bill they were charging a reasonable amount and I thought nothing of it but now they are charging me exessive fees and if you are not but a day late on your payment they charge you $25.00 dollars in late fees and there customer service # is worthless for working out what went wrong with your charges. Sorry so long winded but I guess the moral of the story is the discounts on the credit cards at Macy's are to bring down the prices on their overpriced merchandise and they are generally not worth getting.

Comments

Dr
  16th of Oct, 2008
I don't understand people. Why would you ever continue purchasing from a company if they ripped off the first time. If people would stop buying from them then they would stop ripping people off but as long as you keep going back why should they change. Wake up and be smart. If you get ripped of quit going back. The consumer only has purchasing power. The legal system is not made for the average person and is no way just or fair anymore. The only way to stop companies is to stop buying from them and you need to get as many of your frinds to stop buying from them too. This is the only hope consumers have to stop company misconduct.
Do
  29th of Oct, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I will never shop Macy's again. I think there is a lass action suit here. I do not advocate attorneys or law suits in general. However, I have had it with corp relying on me not scrutinizing my bill each month and then adding extra charges. They told me I should have looked at the electronic signiature pad to see this extra charge. Do you read anything more than the total and where you sign? I will from now on. I am pissed.
An
  14th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
hello macy can u give me a free card please.
Ma
  9th of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Can we all get together and file a case or something..?? I had a very very good credit score and I worked hard to keep it that way. Macy's ruined everything in a month. Now I don't even get a credit card accepted now...I am planning on buying a new car and I am worried !! I opened a Macy's account for some discount of I think $10.00 or less than that...they asked me a credit card during that process and I thought I would be charged to that account. I had to make an international trip for like a month and thought even if the Macy's card comes home..it would have to be activated like any other credit card...it was when I came back, that I realized they applied charges to the macy's card and they charged me all the extra money for late fees etc., etc., I called them and made an instant payment as I was worried about my credit score...after like 2 months, I applied for a credit card. That got rejected and the reason was that I missed paying some outstanding payments. I feel so helpless. Can anyone suggest what I can do? I am very young and I need to buy things on credit in the future. I do not even own a car or house. I work hard and never miss a payment. How long does it take for that to go away from my credit history? Any response will be appreciated.
Nm
  15th of May, 2009
In response to Madhu, the reason Macys asks for a credit card during the application process is so they can verify your credit. It does not mean they will charge it on that card. Obviously, if you get a savings by opening up a card with them, its gonna get charged on the new card. Otherwise what would be the point? And you can even pay it off at the register right after. Seriously, that's just common sense.

Not trying to defend Macys. I actually work there and I hate the credit card aspect, but I just had to reply to that.
Do
  28th of Sep, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Now that Obama will re regulating credit cards be careful! Macy is about to file chapter !! and to get funds are really putting the screws to their account holders!!! If you are one day late on a payment, they are raising your interest to 26.99%, placing your account with collections and hitting you with late fees every month!!!
I have called them every other day to get this fixed and they do not wanr to hear it!!!
This is why our country is sinking into financial failure! Consumers cannot afford the double payments and these card companies are raking in the money!

Pay off your Macy card before they raise your interest to cover their own financial issues!!!
Si
  17th of Jul, 2011
Macy's card policy is a trap with a serious bite. They'll charge you whatever fee they can at any chance. I had a similar bad experience with them and now stop shopping at those stores.
Co
  21st of Mar, 2012
This is still going on, as the same things are happening to me right now. Don't use a Macy's card. I thought I paid it off right after I made the purchase, but something didn't go through and then they "had my address wrong" and I didn't hear about it until a few months later. Tried to pay it off again and that didn't go through, so now I'm just going to the store as their customer service line is less than worthless.
An
  24th of Feb, 2014
Why did you take so long to contact us regarding your billing statement? The post office does not always forward bills and statements... I wish that I took your call... Customers also need to take responsibility for their actions as well.
Gl
  12th of May, 2015
They stopped sending me statements and only when the collection company contacted me was I aware. They insisted they emailed me a statement and they go no undeliverable message so they refused to remove the bad mark on my credit report. I have emails from the order being placed, processed and delivered, but no statements.They refused to believe me and said it was my fault. I should have made payments regardless of whether I received a statement or not. It didn't matter that I paid them I full the first time they notified me through their collection agency. Nor did it matter that they could see I have never had a late payment on my credit report. I have been doing business exclusively through them for 30 years, but never again. They are and always will be the only company to ever submit negative credit against me. I have closed my account and I will never buy anything form their store again.

Macy's Logo Macy's