LG Dishwasher

Posted:

fire in dishwasher

We have a LG Dishwasher that caught in fire last Saturday. What is more surprising about the situation is that the dishwasher was off at the time. It ran a load of dishes over 12 hours prior to the fire. I was actually in the dishwasher getting a measuring cup out 20 minutes before we found the fire. It is clear that it was the dishwasher that started the fire and it is on my report from the fire department. LG seemed to want to work with us on Saturday, but when I called on Monday, they told me that the warranty ran out and they will not help. (the Rep was rude too.) He later called back after talking to his manager but now we are letting the insurance take care of the company.
Complaint comments Comments (14)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Appliances

Comments

A  17th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
My dishwasher started on fire Tue Nov 15 had I not been home or asleep My house could haved burned down When I called LG all they cared about was whether it was under warranty they had no concern about starting my house on fire If i set someones house on fire I go to jail
N  25th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
lg dishwasher model number lds4821 dt/bb/ww caught my home on fire. 11/20/2011
N  8th of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
We recently had the same issue with an LG dishwasher. Luckily, my husband had stayed home from work or who knows what the outcome would have been. I had set the delay, as I have done many times before (usually at night, when we are home) and when it started it ran like normal. When my husband stepped out of the shower he smelled a foul smell. He got dressed started looking for the cause of the odor, and heard hissing and popping coming from the dishwasher. When he looked at it, there was smoke billowing out from the top of the dishwasher. He quickly turned off the breaker and went to investigate. When he opened up the dishwasher, smoke poured out. When I got home that evening the odor reminding me of a chemistry lab. It was very noxious and unnerving.

Upon calling customer service about the issue, we were told that it was not under warranty and they gave us the number to service center 60 miles away. Unsatisfied with this answer, my husband explained to the RUDE CS agent that this is not the first incident. That he had done some research and found out that LG dishwashers had been reported as catching on fire. This did not phase the CS agent, in fact he said
since the warranty was out he couldn't do anything and gave us the number to his manager/supervisor. We are gathering what information we have as well as other cases and going to see what can be done about this problem. Someone is going to lose more than a house one of these days, and LG will be to blame!
N  27th of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
I am waiting for a repairman now.
Second fire in the door of my LG LD dishwasher..
Now I am afraid to have it fixed.
Kate
A  12th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
This dishwasher has been the worst I have ever had. Aside from the countless leaks and the racks rusting out, catching fire is the worst feature of all. Luckily I was home and smelled the smoke before it caught counter on fire. LG should recall such a dangerous appliance!
A  5th of Dec, 2015 by    +1 Votes
We just found smoke billowing out of our LG dishwasher similar to the model above. We called and they didn't care, the only thing they cared about was whether it was under warranty
A  29th of Dec, 2015 by    +1 Votes
My LG dishwasher also had a fire in the door. We smelled something burning and sure enough it burnt right through the stainless steel door into the washer basin!! My rack is also rusting out. Service professional that was called out to look at it said it was a very dangerous situation and could have caused a house fire and that we were very lucky. Calling LG and my attorney now that I have found all these recent complaints similar to mine. LG should definitely recall this dishwasher.
N  10th of May, 2016 by    +1 Votes
I just replaced the heating element and 2 weeks later the second element burned out. Searching I found I should change the board out. I opened the front panel and noticed melted wires on the terminal with the part ID number. We feel like we got off easier then some of you who posted here.

N  15th of Aug, 2016 by    0 Votes
LG#802KWNM00615, Model LDS5811ST/02 129 V Stainless dishwasher caught on fire. Had to have previous service on this same machine at Heber Appliances in Heber, UT. When we reported first failure lg would not stand behind warranty. Home Depot would not stand behind warranty. Now the dishwasher nearly caught our home on fire. Can't something be done about this. The door panel on the lg is black near the controls. We have not pulled it out yet but we are very lucky my husband was home or we would have been homeless and our pets and children would have been burned. I am very unhappy about this appliance and will post pictures when we get them of where the appliance charred and left black marks. My husband luckily pulled the cord to stop disconnect the appliance. The home has an awful electrical small right now and we intend to see if it did further damage before moving forward with some sort of claim. We are not happy with what could have happened here and intend to follow through with this via whatever means it takes to do so for replacement and damages to home. Posted by E Tanner, bearpawbiz@gmail.com. on August 15, 2016 Any other complaints or similar incidents please join in.
N  4th of Nov, 2016 by    0 Votes
Model # LDF7551ST My husband and I bought all new LG products for our kitchen at the end of 2013. Last Tuesday, November 1st, 2016, I was home with my children and all of a sudden something smelled like it was burning. I went into the kitchen and there was smoke (not steam) coming from the dishwasher. The smell was terrible! I opened the dishwasher slowly and more smoke came out. I turned it off and kept an eye on it. Later that day once it had cooled, I emptied it of it's contents and pressed the power button to see if it would turn on. No power. I spent a couple days researching causes of power failure to no avail. Today 11/4/2016 I called LG customer care. They asked me to do a diagnosis with them over the phone. So today, my 7month pregnant self got on the kitchen tile floor and opened the bottom front panel of the dishwasher to check the wires as the lady at LG told me to do. The red wires looked fine. Then I opened the little silver box to the right front that holds the white, green and black wires and the wires were FRIED to a crisp! Thank goodness I was home on that initial day when the dishwasher was smoking and that I turned it off! Imagine if we were not home or in our beds asleep! We could have lost our home or worse! When I called LG today the lady there said, "Well it's not under warranty any longer, but we can send a service person out to you." Are you kidding me? Why haven't these been recalled? Why are they not taking responsibility for this? I told them I want to speak to a manager and they told me that I first need to send in a receipt (proof of purchase) and photos of the damaged wires. They did not care at all that their product could have burned my home down or potentially injured one of my children. All they kept saying was, I'm sorry but it is no longer under warranty. Anyway, I emailed the proof of purchase and photos to LG and I am supposed to get a response within 48 hours. We shall see... I will post an update when I hear from LG.

A  10th of Nov, 2016 by    0 Votes
Tonight our LDF model dishwasher started smelling like burnt plastic. Opened it (it was running) to see if the smell came from inside and it didn't. I immediately stopped it and unplugged it.

I hopped on a live chat with LG support and they are going to send a technician to check it out. Unit is not much more than 12 months in service since purchase (but more for sure) so it's out of warranty, but they agreed to cover labor anyway. I didn't hesitate to let them know that this was very alarming and had I not been here to smell it, I might have had an even worse surprise. Especially with 3 1/2 years old twins sleeping upstairs.

If they don't find the exact cause of the smell, I'm throwing it out to the garbage and buying a new one, not going to mess around for a second with that kind of scary problem.

Will update when the tech has checked it out.
A  3rd of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
Waiting for second repairman. Dishwasher caught fire in the junction box at the bottom of the door behind the same small silver panel. First repairman told me it was mice that caused the fire. I laughed at him. I couldn't help it. There's no room for mice in that little silver junction box with all those wires and wire caps. Just ridiculous. No signs of mice, no poop, no chewed wires and no electrocuted or burnt mouse body. LOL I called Home Depot and explained what the first guy said. Now they are sending the LG technician. Our fire also happened at 2 am while using the delayed start option. Good luck everyone.
N  19th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
I am from Canada.

Our LG dishwasher caught fire as we were sitting in the kitchen doing bible study with friends visiting from my wife’s church. There was this little popping sound and the next thing I saw was black and acrid smoke billowing from the top of the door. We would have gone to bed had it not been the visiting friends and shuddered to think what could have happened had we gone upstairs with the timer set. Called LG the next day and they only responded that since the appliance is out of warranty, their obligations are no longer applicable.

I can understand if it was something that we did to cause the fire but it was just normal set and wash and the last thing we expected was a fire in the dishwasher. Needless to say, it was pointless to repair it as we have lost confidence in this dishwasher and we would have to sit and watch it if we need to do the dishes. I can’t imagine the fun and joy of sitting in front of the machine and watch it going for 2 hours just in case a hockey game broke out.
A  21st of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
Our LG dishwasher started on fire today. Thank God I was home, or it would have burnt the house down. It burnt my wood cabinet and melted the front panel where the controls were. This was a new dishwasher when we remodeled our kitchen.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree