LensCrafters / frames do not hold up

1 Boston, MA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (617) 577-8440

About a year & a half ago, I bought a pair of Prada eyeglasses at Lenscrafters here in Boston. They were extremely nice looking and I paid quite a bit for them (around $450). Over time the frames became dull and cloudy. Nothing wrong with the lenses, just the frames. So I stop in at Lenscrafters and ask if there is anything I can do to clean or correct my glasses. I'm told by the salesperson that this just happens, it's plain wear & tear. Plastic frames, he said, only last about a year before they dry out & that this is very common. "Nothing you can do about it, " he says, and shrugs. He said I should just buy another pair then tried to sell a similar pair to me. I wasn't told this when purchasing these glasses. What's up with this? Built-in obsolescence so that we have to buy glasses every other year, spending hundreds on each pair to keep Lenscrafters going? Ridiculous--I'm purchasing my stuff now either at Costco Eyewear or online as I refuse to support Lenscrafters. I'm also posting on my blog, facebook, my space, etc. I'm sick of this stuff!

De

Comments

• Tm
      26th of Feb, 2009

I agree. I also had a similar experience. I had some Versace frames that weren't even a year old break on me. "The spring broke in the barrel, " is what the store associate told me. I felt that the 50% policy didn't apply because I didn't do anything to break them, but he insisted that I had by simply being the owner of them. Trust me, I've been wearing glasses for a very, very long time and my prescription is so high that I don't even qualify for the 1-hour service, so I do take great care of my glasses and, yes, have even broken a few throughout the years. I definitely know the difference between my breaking them and a crappy product that doesn't even stand up to the test of time to get me through the year for my next eye exam. Moreover, that same associate became arrogant and boasted about his degree and told me that I was wasting his time. So, Lens Crafters will not get any more of my money, nor my family's--we're a family of eye glasses wearers. By the way, this happened in Austin, TX, at the Lens Crafters located in Highland Mall. Good luck and good riddance!

• Ha
      14th of May, 2009

There are many things you could have done to break them. The associate was an idiot if he really said that, but the product is good. I'll bet you often take your glasses off with one hand. Be honest.

• Su
      9th of Jun, 2009

My thoughts exactly Hammed3! Thank you!

• Tr
      16th of Feb, 2010

first off the associate was wrong for talking to a customer like he did. Frames do not break on there own. having worked in the optical business for years i handled plastic frames for years and having myself purchased thousand dollar plastic frames for myself i will tell you that no matter what you do to them if you wear hair product like most people do the plastic will become dry and crack if handled improperly. also just to note just because you spent money on something doesn't mean that they are indestructible. also again having worked in the optical business i will tell you those people work hard for little pay so you can see. feel free to go to walmart or costgo or any other sub par optical store and use their lenses that were made in china or korea. they will not work. also pair 29 dollars for glasses that should have been left in the seventies. and finally give people a break you would have to pay me a lt f money to sit down with the likes of you and most of the americans i read posting things on this site. also for ever negative comment on this site there are 15 satisfied customers out there who have a superior product that liooks fantastic.