Legal Zoom / Services Charge

1 CA, United States Review updated:

Since registering a Trademark with Legalzoom, I have been getting hit with a $29.99 charge every month on the 13th since 2011. The description for the transactions are "services." I am a fairly cautious buyer and I KNOW I would not have signed up for something that is indefinitely recurring. The answer from Legalzoom will be something along the lines of "you must be getting charged for a service you were unaware you signed up for."

And that's precisely the point. Legalzoom isn't the only entity online pulling these underhanded tactics, but this is the latest scam I've been pulled into and I'm going to attempt asking for a refund for all these fraudulent charges (good luck to me). I know I'm not the only one getting sucked into these fraudulent charges. Class Action lawsuit, anyone?

Legal Zoom

Comments

• Le
      23rd of Jul, 2012

Hi M. Adrian,

The plan that you were enrolled into is a legal plan that entitles you to receive unlimited attorney consultations. If it's something that you specified you didn't want to participate in, you definitely shouldn't have been enrolled, and that's our mistake. Contact me at Patty@lzserve.com for help.

LegalZoom Customer Care

23rd of Jul, 2012

Patty,

I appreciate your quick reply. I will write to the email you specify and see if LegalZoom is really interested in correcting this problem. If it is, I'll make this known here.

24th of Jul, 2012

Update:

Received a call from LegalZoom this morning, explaining how they are going to stop the auto debits to my card and reverse the charges (refund what was taken from me over the past several months). So this is good news! I will make an update here again when this actually happens.

In the meantime, the explanation for the charge was as follows: While trademarking, I purchased a "package" (Inadvertently, apparently) along with my order that included free legal consultation...for one month. Then, the service was recurring at the rate of $29.99 per-month thereafter.

Patty: I think it would benefit LegalZoom tremendously to not go this route with offering package deals. The customer should be able to try out the service for a month, then have a CLEAR option to opt in after the trial period is up, not be auto-charged. If they don't make the willing effort to sign up for the service, they shouldn't be charged for it via automated systems, especially considering how vague/misleading the setup is during purchase of service from LegalZoom. I think honest, direct, and less opportunistic approaches like this from LegalZoom would cut down on complaints like mine.

Marc

26th of Jul, 2012

Final Update:

I just reviewed my account activity today: LegalZoom reversed all charges on my card. Thank you, Patty, for your assistance on this matter. Your efforts have helped restore my confidence in LegalZoom.

I also want to thank the owners of Complaints Board: I was able to get a quicker response by posting here than through LegalZooms's own customer service panel. I'm glad CSRs monitor this board and take the complaints here seriously. Consider this case closed with a smiling face. :-)