La-Z-Boy Furniture / better think twice

La-Z-Boy Furniture
Please be careful when purchasing La-Z-Boy products as certain replacement parts have become impossible to come by. Unless you are adept at electrical and and mechanical repairs, I would not recommend these products.

In 2004, we purchased a power recliner/massage chair for my mother, a 92 year old disabled woman, who needed the chair for therapeutic reasons. We paid $1, 500 for the chair which had been working fine up until a few weeks ago, when the remote went out. When we called La-Z-Boy in Phoenix, we were told they were no longer manufacturing chair parts, as this particular chair had been discontinued some time after we purchased it. By a stroke of luck, one of the Cust. Svc. reps managed to find a hand wand in the shop and sold it to me for $120. At first, it worked fine, but then a week later, the massage feature wasn't working properly. It would only stay on for a minute or so, and then stop. The massage feature is designed to stay on for 30 minutes. The representative I spoke to said the problem was probably due to another mechanical part and not the new hand wand we had just purchased, and that they were not able to get any parts at all! Even if he sent a repairman out, they would not be able to get any parts for this chair. The customer service reps I spoke to acted like we were basically SOL and should just get over it. Needless to say, this didn't sit too well with me.

Since then, I have spent hours searching the Net in vain looking for aftermarket parts for this product and haven't come up with anything for this model. I've even contacted the La-Z-Boy manufacturer in Michigan and was told they no longer have suppliers for these parts. It seems each part is made by a different company; in our case, InSeat Solutions, LLC and Okin, whom I have also contacted. They were both unable to recommend a substitute manufacturer, and for some unexplained reason, neither company is doing business any longer with La-Z Boy.

My mother has become very fond of her chair and would love to continue using it. It's a shame that a mega-corporation like La-Z-Boy doesn't take better care of its customers.

I have also spoken to independent furniture repair shops who are absolutely incredulous that La-Z-Boy is no longer able to get parts for their customers. No one knows what to make of this.

La-Z-Boy should either come up with the parts we need to repair the chair or else replace it with a new one. But they refuse to do anything for us.

A  15th of Aug, 2009 by
If anyone knows where to get parts for the Air Spa massager/recliner chair, please post here.

La-Z-Boy Logo La-Z-Boy