LA Fitness / cancelation

1 Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:

I signed up for LA Fitness years ago, I used the gym a lot. I loved it, but as the economy was getting bad and lost my job from lay-offs. Also moved in to Trillium Apt which has a excellent gym for there residence. I went online to cancel my membership, and on the LA Fitness website states please fill out cancelation form and send to corporate office and in 30 days membership will be canceled. I did have to pay one more month, so I did this. I thought everything went alright, but that next mont I was billed again for $25. I filled out another cancelation form and sent it to LA Fitness, a month later I checked my credit card statement again and yet again $25 was taken out. At this time I am getting frustrated I than printed off another copy of the cancelation for and sent it in, you can only guess what happened next. I recived a letter from LA Fitness stateing that they tried to bill my card and it would not go thru. I called American Express and told them I wanted to dispute this. I let them know that I have sent in 2 cancelation forms and nothing has been done. they went and disputed it for me. I then sent in another form, yet again I recived another letter that next month stateing they have tried to bill my card again that they are sending me to collections. I went in to the PV club very upset, I talked to the manager and explaind what has been happening. he stated that I have been doing this correct. I asked him to send in the cancelation form thru the clubs mail so I knew they would cancel membership. he sated he could not do this. That I would have to cend thru USPS. so I took my chances again $100 later. the next month I had another payment taken out of my credit card $25 ( that makes $125). I than got a call from LA Fitness stating that I am past due. I explained everthing I did, and they said I need to send in Certified mail, I said nowhere did it say that and the club manager did not tell me this. I stated that this is just a way to keep getting money. they said that they never recived the forms. I told them that I canceled the membership and I want them to cancel it over the phone. they stated could not be done and that I am being sent to collections. By this time I am pissed. I advised the to do this and I will take it from there. next month another $25 was taken from my account. and I disputed w/ my credit card company was credited back $125, I won the dispute. I get another call from LA Fitness and same conversation again. but by this time I am yelling, the rep tells me that I have to do 3 steps to cancel. I info her I did everything that was told to me. that I am Thru jumping thru hoops. she stated she would send info from her side to cancel. It took me 7 months to cancel my membership. I sent in 4 cancelation froms, talked to a manager. and two reps from LA Fitness. Finally my membership was canceled. This is why people are so afraid to join gyms, even though they state they have no contracts, it still takes an act of god to cancel.
my brother went thru a similar situation with Golds Gym and Ballies.

Cr

Comments

• Ne
      22nd of Sep, 2009

LA Fitness makes it impossible to cancel their membership. I contacted them months ago to try to cancel their cancel anytime membership. In order to cancel online you must sign up for an online account. They make you sign in to your account at sign up. If you go with them save your sign in information. It is a nightmare to get through to them to get your information. This is a planned by the company so that you will have other things to do and forget about your 30.00 a month. It worked on me. It was such a problem that I did forget. They have their cancellation form on line but for some planned reason you can not open the file. I disputed it with my bank and ultimately they continued to charge my card. Four months later I went through the steps again and once again you can not download their cancellation form. Finally I went to their building where they try to talk you out of leaving but ultimately they gave me a cancellation form which you have to send in by regular mail. They also tell you that they need to receive it ten business days in advance to stop from charging you again on their next billing cycle. If they put as much time into customer service as they do into making sure you cant cancel they be a much better company.

• Ni
      27th of Sep, 2009

Cancellation is simple

1. Walk into your local LA Fitness and pick up the form, or go online, no questions asked, and mail it in 10 days prior to your next billing (why? So they have time to stop the auto eft) It's self addressed and ready to go

2. You'll receive an email within 5-7 days confirming its cancelled