KLM Royal Dutch Airlines / double fees for humanitarian baggage

Phone: 701-420-6282

A SENIOR KLM ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES DEPARTURE SUPERVISOR AT SCHIOPL AIRPORT , CHARGED ME TWICE THE MAXIUM NORMAL EXCESS BAGAGE FEES TO TAKE HUMANITARIAN ITEMS TO AFRICAN ORPHANS On November 30 ,2007 I encounter a KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Departure Supervisor in Schiopl Airport , Amsterdam , Holland and believe she exceeded her authority and acted out of personal bias with the intention not only to insult me, but to cause me as much hardship and inconvenience as she could. That day I was traveling from San Francisco International Airport on KLM Royal Dutch Airlines to Uganda, Africa to assist several humanitarian organizations. I was carrying, as excess, baggage four large boxes of humanitarian items for orphans in that country. Prior to departure on November 26, 2007 , I had received approval form KLM to take the four large boxes of humanitarian items for Ugandan orphans as excess baggage on a flight to Africa and was informed I would have to pay $600.00 American dollars as an excess baggage fee; which I was prepared to do. However when I arrived at SFO ( San Francisco International Airport) , there was no record of KLM’s approval for the excess baggage. . The Supervisor at the departure desk called KLM and confirmed the approval, and instructed his employee to only charge me for TWO additional baggage items, which should have been $300.00 American dollars. However that employee only charged me $250.00. In Amsterdam at Schiopl Airport , as I was checking in for the connecting flight to Entebbe Uganda ; I asked the KLM departure agent to confirm that the extra baggage had been forwarded to Entebbe , and she informed me that they would NOT be loaded on the plane until I paid an additional baggage fee. I tried to point out to her that I had already paid the fee , that was requested by the KLM agent in San Francisco and I did not think it was appropriate to pay them twice. She was unwilling to review my documentation of the transaction. So I asked to speak with her Supervisor . When she arrived at the tickit /work station, I asked her to speak in English so that I could understand their conversation, since I do not speak or understand Dutch. The two women spoke in Dutch, between themselves for a while and then the original agent said she would speak in English and explain the issue as she understood it. However , her version was not accurate and when I attempted to show her supervisor my documentation she would not look at it and eventually said: ..” The matter is over! It is done!..... You will pay 600 EUROS!.... It is over! “ I protested and said that I did not believe it was appropriate to charge me twice for the excess baggage and took my calculator out of pocket and showed her that by converting the 600.00 EUROS to dollars and adding the $250.00; that I had already paid in San Francisco that the total was over $1200.00 American Dollars. At that point she looked at me and said: ...”What you said is correct! I told her that it just wasn’t right or appropriate. And she responded angrily that ... “ I could try to get it back from the company “ ... and she left. During my conversation with the Supervisor , she spoke to me and treated me like a criminal. She would not look at my documentation and at one point during the conversation; I heard , either her or the other agent say: ...” We get your kind of people through here all the time “A statement which, while abusive and insulting, also seems to reveal a negative attitude towards certain types of KLM passengers. I can only conclude that the Supervisor’s conduct was caused by a personal bias and her intention was to cause me as much hardship and inconvenience as possible I do not believe there is a legal or procedural policy that would require me to pay the excess baggage fee twice. Once at the begining of a trip and again midway though it. I believe the Supervisor exceeded her authority and KLM’s company policies to anger and upset me as much as she could. And, that was essentially confirmed by the actions of the women in the Excess Baggage Department in Schipol Airport where passengers pay excess baggage fees. When, I went to the window to pay the fees, several of the women in that department, were openly upset by the Supervisor's actions and on their own initiative and with out my request, several of them went to the Supervisor and tried to get her to change her demand that I pay the 600 EUROS. She would not! So in order for me to get the Humanitarian items on the plane, I had to pay the additional fees before they would load the boxes. When I arrived in Uganda ; I called KLM in Amsterdam numerious time and went to their Kampala offices in an attempt to resolve this issue and get my money back. In each case I was told I would have to take it up with KLM's Office's in Amsterdam . In one call I was told a representitive would meet me to resolve the matter when I arrived back in Holland. However during the eight hours between my arrival and departure I was not met and during a phone call that i initiated to KLM was told that I would have to file the complaint in the country where I bought the tickets , the USA . And with the KLM's representitive .. in this case ...Northwestern Airlines. During this orderal none of the "ground " KLM employees were willing to help me or kept their commitments . I have concluded that KLM's procedures for dealing with Custmers complaints are designed to discourage and wear down anyone who has a valid complaint . And although I have filed numerous complaints about the Supervisor and requests that my money be returned , approximately 3 months later , I have not had a offical responce from KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.

Comments

24th of Nov, 2010

IWAS IN AMSTERDAM I WAS HAVING ABAG IN IT CHOCLETE AND JACKET WHEN I ARRIVED TO EGYPT CAIRO I DON'T SEE THEM IWANTS TO KNOW WHERE ARE THEM ?
    THEY WERE IN THE BIG BAG 23KG
    CALL ME ON :0190053315 _0194653158
    COUNTRY: EGYPT__ CAIRO ___________ CALL US QUICKLY.