Complaints & Reviews

KLMpet cargo vs. excess bag

My dog has flown on KLM as excess bag in the past. Most recently from South Africa to the Netherlands. Now we are relocating to South Africa from the Netherlands less than a year later with KLM and I have purchased my ticket. After trying to get my dog tickets for the same flight as excess bag on KLM, customer care and reservations now says that my dog cannot come on board as excess baggage. I contacted South African and Dutch vets and authorities to clarify why KLM would deny my dog to fly as excess baggage. These vets and authorities clearly stated that my dog could fly as excess bag but that he had to go through the cargo department on arrival South Africa to be checked by a vet. KLM says that information from IATA and South Africa state otherwise. They say that all pets must go through cargo and never as excess baggage. But they do not want to read the rules (which South African and Dutch vets and authorities emailed me) that state pets can travel as excess bag then go via cargo to be checked by a state vet at the Johannesburg airport. I had more than 10 telephonic discussions with their staff and they did not even want to hear or read information from the vets and authorities. NOW, I am forced to pay more than 1, 200Euros to have my dog go in cargo with expensive cargo carriers. This is disgusting. KLM does not even listen to anyone especially its loyal customers. They have disappointed me on many occasions but now I'm furious and will be suing them for damages.

Below is quote from South African vet authority...

'All dogs and cats imported into South Africa must be registered, as manifest cargo and can not fly as excess baggage. The Directorate Veterinary Services does not have veterinary officials at the passenger terminal of OR Tambo (Johannesburg) and Cape Town International Airport to check the paper work of dogs entering South Africa via the passenger terminal of the respective airports. The dogs and cats can only disembark via the cargo terminal of the respective airports.

Dogs and cats may travel in the cabin with the owner, if allowed by the airline, but the pets must be registered as manifest cargo and the airline staff must take the pets from the owner on landing so that they can be off loaded from the plane via the cargo terminal. '

KLM Royal Dutch Airlinesexpensive with cheap services

I bought a round trip to ticket to Bangkok with Royal Dutch Airlines. Compared with other airlines
    the price was higher but I was assured by the ticketing office that 28 kilos would be allowed as check
    in luggage. During the flight, the food offered to the Economy Passengers was little and awful. We
    barely touched the bland menu. On my way back, I checked in 26 kilos, the Ground Steward said I
    was only allowed 23 Kilos. I showed my ticket which indicated 28 kilos check in. The Steward brought
    it to his chief and I waited for ten minutes. The Officer said it was a mistake and I was forced to remove
    three kilos from my luggage. When I asked for my ticket for check in. He could no longer find it. I was
    detained at the check in counter and again at the Immigration.

Avoid Royal Dutch Airlines (KLM) at all costs. Do not be fooled by its incentives on additional check
    in luggage. Middle Eastern and other Asian Airlines are generous with luggages. Furthermore, their
    Ground and Air Services are excellent to be compared with this stingy Royal Dutch Airlines.

KLMunauthorized credit card charges

Dear KLM
      In August 2010 I bought a return ticket to Peru from Sweden with the following route (Got-Ams-Panama-Lima). When I was in Peru decided to change the return date and the return destination for London. So I went online and try to book it but I would not let me so I had to phone KLM in Peru to check for available dates and prices. The customer person who answered me was very nice and friendly and informed me that if I decided to change my ticket to London on January 28th I only needed to pay 7.64 dollars (confirmation email). I could not believe my penalty payment was so cheap so I double check by asking her if this information was correct (calls were recorded by KLM), the person on the phone informed me that she was going to check if there was any problem with the system and ask why the tariff was so cheap.
      After waiting a few minutes on the phone she confirmed the tariff and explained me that there were many reason why this new ticket was so cheap, the chosen date of return, flying direct with KLM instead of using partner airlines via Panama and apparently flying to London was cheaper than Sweden, so instead of refunding me this money I was deducted the penalty fee for changing my ticket meaning that I only own them 7. Usa dollars.
      I didn’t buy the ticket immediately just because I had some business to solve. When I called back to KLM I had a different person on the phone (phone call also recorded by KLM), I asked her for the same thing (changing date and destiny) for which I had different news prices, so I explained her the deal I was previously told and it was still available. (Seriously what kind of system they use that gives complete different information according to user), anyhow, one more time after some minutes waiting on the phone she found the deal I wanted it but this time she told me that she need it to double check this information, if the system had collapsed again. I explained her that the other people on the phone give me those reason and if that could be possible and she agreed with me. Due to this reaction I asked her if she could send me an email confirming the offered rate (very lousy email confirming the price) and proceed to disclose my credit card details for the payment. I keep calling KLM to get a receipt from them for my payment (which KLM never bother to sent) since I could not see the transaction on my credit card and I was afraid they wouldn’t let me board. Great was my surprise when I check in and received summary receipt stating a charge of 134american dollars which I didn’t even know why, or when did I approve it. So guess what I never really even got charge this 7 dollars by KLM they just charge whatever they considered, without consulting me, informing me or approval at all. SO I went to KLM customer center in Peru and they just didn’t even bother to apologize just “let me know” that complaints were meant to be doing online so they could bother to help me. After sending claims over a month I receive the following “apologize” from Niels Nielsen (KLM Europe Customer Care)
      Dear Ms Faura,

Thank you for your messages sent 29 January, 14 February, 16 February, 1 March and your telephone call 15 March 2011. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced when you rebooked the return leg of your flight to the 28 January 2011 from Lima to London via Amsterdam onboard flights KL 0744 and KL 1021 and the penalty fee you were charged.

It is always our intention to offer our customers clear and accurate information regarding our services, so I am sorry to learn that you were unhappy with the information provided by our Reservations staff in Lima.

However, theres seems to have happened a serious misunderstanding. The information you received was correct that your rebooked return leg was indeed potentially cheaper. On the 10 August 2010 in Sweden you bought a ticket with restrictions on rebookings which meant that it was cheaper then tickets with changeable return dates but also meant that you would not be refunded if your travelled on the same class, which you did (Q-class), although it might be changed to a cheaper trip.

Therefore the information you received that the penality fee could be deducted from the fare difference was a misunderstanding, because based on this fare basis you had to pay this on top of your original fare. The new ticket was automatically generated and it fully complies with the fare basis your original ticket was based on.

I can assure you that your comments regarding this matter will be forwarded to the attention of the Reservations department for internal information. Improvement to our service continues to be an ongoing process and I would like you to know that by taking the time to write to us you have greatly contributed to this.

I do hope that the above explanation will help soften the negative impact of this situation, and that you will afford us another opportunity to serve you to your entire satisfaction.

Yours sincerely,

Niels Nielsen
      IF THIS WAS A MISSUNDERSTANDIDNG NOT BY ME, SINCE IM NOT WORKING FOR KLM AND GIVING WRONG INFORMATION, WHY SHOULD I PAY FOR THE CONSEGUENCES OF THEIR EMPLOYES, WHY”!!!
      It seems like KLM is used to talk with mentally ###ed people unaware of their rights to give me that kind of answer including an invitation to keep using their service, so if KLM doesn’t return the illegal charge they made using my banking details for an UNAPPROVED TRANSACTION, you know where you can PUT that invitation.

atte
      Faura Grissel

• Gr
          grissel Apr 16, 2011

Happy ending
          After submitted my complain several time, I finally got a travel voucher for the amount owned, so I d like to thanks KLM for this gesture of fairness, and also for showing that Customer Care do Care about your satisfaction, is only matter of finding the right person to heard you.
          Thanks KLM, you are back to my TOP airline

KLMvouchers cannot be used when booking online

I had bought an "option" (pre-reservation) for two KLM tickets and wanted to use two vouchers (so-called Travel Discount Certificates, that I had received from KLM last year due to flight problems) when I were to use my option and buy the tickets. These vouchers were each valid 50 EUR until 28 February 2012.

I then contacted KLM by phone and talked to one of their employees, but she told me, that I could not use these vouchers to partially pay for the tickets, because their web site wasn't able to receive information regarding these vouchers.

I disagreed very much with her, because nowhere on the vouchers there is an indication of, that these cannot be used for a web booking.

But she wouldn't let me use the vouchers, unless I bought tickets on the phone with a new reservation, thus not using the option that I had paid 20 EUR for. And if I were to buy tickets on the phone without the option, these would be so expensive, that the difference between these and my option ticket price would exceed the value of the vouchers.

She wouldn't let me talk to a supervisor, and if I were to talk with another agent, she was convinced that I would have the same answer as she gave me.

Neither from the information on the vouchers nor when I bought the option (made the pre-reservation), I had any information of that their web site lacked the possibility of using the vouchers as partial payment.

I am convinced that they have a legal problem, if they neglect a customer's wish to use such vouchers just because that they make an online booking instead of using the phone doing so.

I needed the tickets, so I had to use the options without using the vouchers.

I am working in an international company, where many of us travel by airplane. And I have a strong network to my colleagues in 15 European countries, and thus good possibilities for influencing these in which airplane companies to use. I am certainly going to use this influence.

Afterwards I filed a complaint and was informed on the web page, that "You will receive shortly an acknowledgement to: (my email address). If you do not receive this message within the day, the email address you entered may be incorrect. In that case please post again your request."

I am 100% sure that my email address was correct entered, but didn't receive any acknowledgement. The next day I contacted them by phone again, but they weren't able to assure me that they had received the complaint ...

After contacting them for the second time, I received an auto-generated mail from them: "Thank you for making your reservation on klm.dk. Having received the KLM newsletter email for a while and now that you have been on klm.dk, you’ve seen just how easy booking online with KLM really is!" ...

• Bo
            Borbely Mar 31, 2013

My daughter had a similar experience with KLM vouchers! Something should be done about it! If KLM is not honoring its vouchers it is committing fraud.

KLMbad company - dont trust it

KLM is a socks company...
          My relatives bought a ticket in Panama Republica at Viajes y Destinos. S.A
          Via Beneto to my brother that live in London...he suppost to travel on the
          2nd of February 2011 but he had and inconveniant then he calls the
          agency in Panama and they told him it was not a problem that to call few days before and it will be a little charge.So he did, BUT there start the problems...they told him that was not possible...that KLM dont acept it
          and he will loose the ticket (USD 1450), so no travel and no money refund,
          KLM will not negociated at all...he loose the ticke period.
          Iam been a traveler person must of my life...I never ear such thing...this
          COMPANY IS SUCKS!!!All the travel company can do it ...EXCEPT KLM
          Now that we have this problem...I ear a lot of bad things about them
          KLM IS A SHAME FOR THE AIR INDUSTRY!!! IM SURE YOU, I AND
          AVERY BODY WILL EAR THAT KLM GOES OUT OF BUSSINES...
          THEY DESERVE IT...IS LIKE THEY ROBE CUSTUMER THA WAY!!!
          BEAUTIFULL!!! BRILLIANT.

• Ca
              carobgh Mar 01, 2012

On KLM.com they charge you a 10 euros booking fees. On airfrance.be you can book the same flights, same dates, same time, etc but with no 10 euros booking fees. This is the same company so why different rates for the same destination, dates, flights, etc according if you book on airfrance.fr, aifrance.be or klm.com??? KLM rip you off and is not worth it. Are we so different from a country to another???

KLMklm lost my baggages

I am Mrs. Lee.
            I and my husband(Mr.Hong), we went to London via Amsterdam for our honeymoon at 19 Dec 2010.
            We arrived at Amsterdam, all airport in London was closed. We could'nt departure.
            So next day, we decided to go to Birmingham by airplan, and go to London by bus that night.
            But we arrived at Birmingham after waiting for an hour for baggage that it was not on board. With all personal effects in the bag, we had to buy all personal effects.
            Despite numerous calls to the airport, airline and baggage handling company we are still no closer to getting it back.

KLM — 14 hour delete of flight

3. of November 2010. Mombasa-Amsterdam flight had a delay of 14 hours. The flight was suppose to take of 9:25...

KLM — lost baggage - bad service

I am not going into the whole lengthy story, but KLM canceled our connecting flight from Amsterdam to...

KLMbaggage damage

Why is it that every time i travel with klm, i am left with damaged baggage ? Klm has a definite need to improve it's shockingly poor handling of baggage .As a frequent flyer on klm, i urge all fellow passengers to reconsider using the services of klm as they are unable to deliver ones luggage without damaged .To compound maters, klm staff at jhb are simply not interested in replacing luggage .If i hear one more staff member of klm say oh >>>it"s wear and tear on a brand new bag used once or twice, i might scream . Thanks to the useless nico - manager at klm jhb, poor management allow klm to loose customers who travel the jhb -marseille route at least 5 x year . I certainly will not be using klm again ... After all it only adds to the airfare to have to replace a bag each and everytime one flies with klm . Advise :use virgin over klm any day

KLMhorrible customer service

My husband and I flew to Belgium for our wedding and decided to use my flying blue miles. We departed from Dubai via Amsterdam on Friday September 3rd 2010 and returned on Sunday September 5th 2010. Our wedding was on September 4th.
                Needless to say the service provided by KLM ruined the whole trip. Thank you KLM for making me feel like a second class citizen because I had chosen to use my miles instead of paying a fare. Shame on me for being a loyal passenger instead of ponying up the cash.
                Here's what happened.
                We were seated in a row of 3. The plane was not full so we both took aisle seat. But alas, the comfort was reserved for paying customers and I was told (not asked, told) to go back to the middle as the aisle seat was for someone else. I thought someone was coming. A minute went by, then two. Then the woman sitting in the middle seat in front of me saw the empty aisle seat and asked the flight attendant if she could take it. "But of course!". I see. She could, but not me.
                Later in the flight as I was sleeping they served the meal. The passenger behind me violently pushed my seat upright which woke me up. I looked behind me as he said something in Dutch. I turned to the flight attendant who didn't even flinched as she told me: "He needs space to eat". I told her I was sleeping. She just repeated he needed space. I guess he needed the space and comfort more than me.
                A few hours later breakfast was served. How do we know? We were awoken by a putrid smell which we thought was the result of someone getting extremely air sick. No such thing, it was the eggs they served for breakfast.

I was glad to get off the flight.
                We wed on Saturday and on Sunday dragged our feet back to the airport. At check in the young lady noticed we were on a short turnaround and asked us why. We explained about our wedding and she told us nicely she would put a note in the system about us being newlyweds and also give us front row seats so we could be comfortable adding that since the flight was not full we would get the three seats to ourselves.
                In Amsterdam we eagerly boarded the plane. No one said congratulations though. We sat and were pleased with the legroom as my husband is very very tall. We both were in aisle seats. But shortly before take off, a cabin attendant arrived with a gentleman and proceeded to seat him between us. We explained we were newlyweds and perhaps she could sit him somewhere else? "No, I must accommodate this passenger so you sit in the middle" she told me. Thank you again KLM. The passenger in question wasn't pleased with the situation and spent the next 6 hours jabbing his sharp elbow in my rib cage hoping to get a reaction. I did not try to speak to the flight attendant as I knew they would just tell me as they had done on the previous flight that he needed his comfort.

I wrote to the airline. Here are some key responses: "
                If some passengers decide to fully recline their seat then it is to be hoped that they will consider the effect on those behind them. Eating one's meal, enjoying a drink or working on a laptop can be uncomfortable without this consideration, and we are sorry that your fellow passenger had to push you forcefully.

We expect all passengers to show consideration in the cabin to all. Our crew will intervene in the event of a flight safety issue, however where flight safety is not put into question our actions can be limited.

Whenever possible, in order to resolve a situation, our cabin crew will offer an alternative seat in the same cabin. I regret to learn that this was not the case."

they did not offer any real apology for the rudeness of their staff and missed the point. For them it's ok if a passenger pushes your seat up. And wow, the flight attendant should have offered me another seat? You mean the one she declined me in the first place?

• Qu
                    questionss Sep 09, 2010

I disagree with you. So what you're having wedding? you need the WHOLE WORLD to celebrate with you? In respect to the seating, it's by right KLM has the right to seat you where they deem fit. Anywaycomes mealtimes, it's only standard procedure that seats are to be in upright position (as a basic courtesy to others same fare paying customers on board the aircraft) well if you are so not happy with the free-miles-usage-and-they-give-me-such-attitude, go fly first class then if you could afford it using your millege or else better still, go fly with other airlines then :)) I am sure KLM and other fare paying passengers like me would be happy with less one passenger like you. Good day :))

KLMI have been trying to purchase my ticket online for over an hour now

I’m pretty frustrated at the moment I have been trying to purchase my ticket online for over an hour now. First the web page informed me that my banking details were incorrect, this led to a long process with my bank which proved that all details were in fact correct and everything was 100% following this and another long wait in the automated telephone queuing system I spoke to an operator who has sent me an e-mail and a payment request from Air France, but the site has an security warning stating it is an invalid certificate, and that they are unable to validate my certificate because no record was found for the supplier???

I’m certainly not entering my credit card info on an insecure connection. How hard is it to book and pay for a ticket.

KLMbaggage damaged

Iam a KLM passenger dated Feb.28, 2010 from flight Amsterdam via Manila I and my companion was informed that our baggage was delayed on that day. So i was able to pick up the delayed baggage on the following day and when i came home i just noticed that my check in baggage was broke already, please sir, do something about this problem that it will not happend again to the other passengers so that we won't lose our trust to your company. Thank You!

baggage damaged
                    baggage damaged

samen zendehrooh Apr 05, 2010

i am a passenger from newcastle to amsterdam then to iran on 25th march, we arrived at our destination late at knight so when we got of we went straight to north of iran, which is really far from the airport, i arrived and the next day when i got there, i came to open my luggage and i saw that your workers have broken the keys of my luggage and took stuff out it, know when i think about it yous have took alot of stuff out of it. when i contact your office yous told me to call yous on saurday, because everywhere was closed for the new year, when i called on saturday and sunday nobody answered and on monday i called someone answered and they said you called to late, so what should i do, this is wasting my holiday so could you please do something about this, because am here only for a month and i cant keep on complaining and noone will answer.
                        my number is:[protected] - this is in iran.
                        my number is:[protected] - this is in england my daughter can answer.
                        my booking code is: Z76QXZ.
                        my email address is: [protected]@yahoo.co.uk
                        please could you answer us as soon as possible.
                        your sincerly
                        mojdeh gharib.

KLMnot respect

I would like to complain about the awful behave and luck of service we had from KLM and it’s people in Amsterdam airport.
                      We should travel from Oslo to Athens trough Amsterdam and we had a delay in the flight from Oslo but when we arrive in Amsterdam we had 25 minutes to reach the plane to Athens but they said that we couldn’t take the flight because they didn’t have time to load our baggage. Then they said to us that we were going to take the next KLM flight to Athens 12 hours later.
                      We where 3 persons and 1 child 3 years old we said that we couldn’t wait so long with a child and they should help us do something like to take next plane to Athens or at least to give us a hotel room. The only thing we were taking as an answer is that the company’s rules didn’t allow something like that!!! And that was nothing we could do than to wait.
                      Easy to say with a small one without her milk (she is drinking a special milk because of stomach problems) and in an expensive airport that one bottle of water cost 3€ for so long.
                      We try lot of times to have some help but there was not even interest to help us at least for the child!
                      And we are not finish there! When we arrived in Athens the baggage was lost!!! (The funny is that they were the reason that we left in Amsterdam!). And in Athens we had very bad behave and service from the KLM office that we went to look after the baggage and not only we but about 20-30 people in that flight. All that had result to leave form Athens airport about 2-3 am and with 4 suitcases lost. They fund 2 now until I’m writing but 1 of them has very important staff for work and the Childs medication. So with all this trip took almost 24 hours from Oslo to Athens!!!

• Ca
                          carobgh Mar 01, 2012

KLM — double charging

myself and my partner decided to book a weekend away to amsterdam as a second honeymoon but now im begining...

KLMflight overbooked

Overbooked Flight
                        Flight details: Dec. 19th London - Amsterdam KL1018. Departure: 14:50 - Arrival 17:10
                        Connecting flight: Dec. 19th Amsterdam - Seoul KL 0865 Departure: 18:00 - Arrival 12:25 December 20th.

A very good friend of mine was due to fly out to Seoul from London (via Amsterdam) for my wedding in December, and although he got there (just in time) thanks to KLM it took him over 60 hours to get there.
                        There were no problems with his flight from London to Amsterdam, but when he tried to transfer at Amsterdam they told him that they'd overbooked his flight and that he'd have to take the next one (the following day). My friend informed them that this would mean he would miss his connecting flight from Seoul to Fukuoka, and they nonchalantly replied that he would make it in time; he didn't which meant that his return ticket (from Seoul to Fukuoka) was automatically cancelled as he didn't make the outbound flight, he also had to pay out again to get another flight to Fukuoka.
                        He was quite annoyed because when he originally tried to check in for his connecting flight (while in London/Heathrow) he couldn't, a member of staff was also dumbfounded as to why he couldn't do this, but after arriving in Amsterdam it became obvious. KLM knew all along that his flight was overbooked, and they could have put him on a different plane (while in London) which would have got him to Seoul in time for his connecting flight. Instead they said nothing until he had got to Amsterdam, he then spent the next 24 hours frantically trying to reach a senior member of KLM's staff, only to be told that they were all on holiday as it was Saturday night.
                        My advice to anyone reading this is be very careful if you've booked with KLM.

Mr. M. Donnellan

KLMcancelled flight/lost baggage

After an 11 hour flight from South Korea and a one hour stop over in Amsterdam I boarded my connecting flight to Manchester on 23rd December 2009. As we approached Manchester we were informed by the captain that the airport was closed due to snow and we were turning back to Amsterdam. On arrival - around 11pm - we were told that accommodation had been arranged for the night and alternative flights would be arranged for the following day. At this point everything seemed under control.

I, along with the many other passengers, had to queue for our hotel vouchers. By this time it was close to midnight. I was told to get the free bus to the hotel and be back at the airport by 7am to try to arrange a flight to Manchester. Once again I was in a queue, not quite far ahead enough to catch the first bus. We waited for another half hour in the freezing cold for the second bus to arrive. It was close to 1am by the time I checked into the hotel. On talking to other stranded passengers I found that many had already called the airport and taken the few available flights left on Christmas Eve. I called and was told my best bet was to get to the airport early. By this time it was 2am local time and I had been travelling, without sleep, for 24 hours.

At the airport I was offered a choice of two flights - one via Paris which would arrive in Manchester at 6pm - just as the last train to my final destination was leaving, or via Heathrow with a 6 hour layover which would arrive at 4:30pm. I opted for the latter, spent a further day without sleep at Heathrow, sat on a stationary BMI plane for an hour because they had the wrong equipment for loading baggage and finally arrived in Manchester just before my train departed. My luggage did not arrive with me and as of today, January 6th, has still not been delivered. I now have a new suitcase, clothes, toiletries and other essentials to take me through the remainder of my holiday and am no longer in England. Even if the case is returned to me somehow, somewhere, I will exceed my luggage allowance for the return journey. The Christmas gifts I took for my family are still in the missing case - if it does turn up do I have them returned to Korea or do I send the case and gifts to England and leave my clothes and toiletries there? The woman at the baggage helpline only wanted an address to deliver the bag to, with no consideration for the additional problems that such late delivery will cause.

So far KLM have replied to my email denying any responsibility as the initial delay was caused by snow. The baggage problem they have off-loaded onto BMI who can only tell me that they are sorry but they are unable to contact their couriers and but assured me that my suitcase was now in Manchester, then Liverpool, then Warrington -- still hours from where I was staying.

I am simply flabbergasted by such incredible incompetence, lack of interest in customer concerns and the difficulties in speaking to anyone with any authority to deal with my situation. I have a list of at least ten phone numbers which I have been asked to call to chase my suitcase or complain about the situation. I am not looking forward to the return journey and sincerely hope my new suitcase and new clothes and other goods won't go the way of my old one. The cost of replacing all my possessions, plus money spent on food and drinks in the wasted hours, internet and telephone costs while in transit have yet to be calculated but amount to more than I would have paid for a worthwhile airline.

Sara Don Jan 06, 2010

You are in the exact same situation as I am! I am so so angry and frustrated with KLM just because of the lack of communication, and when I say lack, I mean I have not had a single email, phone call, text, 'message in a bottle' or 'pigeon carrier'! I have not heard anything from them and next tuesday will be 21 days since they lost my bag! Will I EVER hear from them I wonder?!
                              I flew from Dubai to Amsterdam on December 22nd with KLM and expected my journey to carry on to Manchester on the same date. However when I arrived to Amsterdam, they advised the Manchester flight had been cancelled, after queueing for over 2 hours, we eventually got ourselves onto a flight to Birmingham but only because we were pro active and physically asked one of the duty managers that were milling about at the time! If we had not done that, we would probably still be in the queue!
                              When we arrived to Birmingham, no bags arrived. We filled in the missing bag report...(whilst we were doing this the woman on the desk decided that it was an appropriate time to start being jolly and kept calling us "poor kittens'!!! It was at this point I walked away and cried! We then headed home with my husbands parents who kindly came all the way to Birmingham to pick us up. We were only in the UK for 1 week, my husband received his bag back the day before we flew back to Dubai, what a great help that was! We then had to worry over the excess baggage that Emirates may of charged us if all the new clothes we had bought for our stay, along with the christmas presents we had received and then the additional suitcase we got back 1 day before coming home had tipped our baggage allowance over the limit!!! Fortunately this was not the case!
                              After numerous emails, phone calls, and left messages on the KLM lost baggage message machine (KLM only allow you to hold for 1 minute before cutting you off!!) we are still non the wiser as to the wherabouts of my case.
                              I have researched our rights with regards to lost cases where the airline are at fault and due to the 'Montreal convention' they are only legally allowed to compensate up to 800 UK pounds! I can assure that my case and i am sure nearly every other passengers case all over the world will always amount to much more than 800 UK pounds!
                              I am now in the process of demanding (via Email!) that KLM fly me free of charge back to Amsterdam, Birmingham and Manchester to search through the unidentified luggage myself. However if they do agree to this, I can assure that non of my luggage will be travelling in the 'hold' of the KLM aircraft this time!

• Gb
                              gbmarc Jan 08, 2010

Get a clue - KLM can't control the weather - if an airport is shut down, not much that can be done. It's a risk we all take when flying, using a train (The chunnel was also shutdown for several days), or driving a car. WEATHER IS WEATHER - this was a once in a 100 year storm...

• Ro
                              rowbubble Jan 11, 2010

oh tell me bout it...
                              i came home 4 days ago from china, and my plane was delayed from china to amsterdam. when we arrived at holland, i had to run to my flight to edinburgh. they then told me on arrival that they didnt have time to transfer my luggage onto the edinburgh plane. fair enough.
                              the nice lady took my address, and said itd arrive the next morning. it didnt come. the next day i phoned and was told my luggage was in newcastle! then the next day was told itd arrived into edinburgh. drove to the airport, where this stingy man told me it hadnt arrived and didnt know where it was, before walking away!!!

4 days later... i am about to go crazy... i need my pyjamas, clothes, tolietries, makeup, and my 200pounds of stuff i bought in china!!!

• Ro
                              Robbo Jan 14, 2010

Same problem for me - flew in to Manhester after being diverted to Amsterdam from Los Angeles.
                              The comment above saying Weather is Weather seems to be missing the point - nobody condemns KLM for cancelling flights, the issue is the amount of luggage they have lost and the fact that they are rude, unhelpful and completely incompetetent when you speak to them.

My luggage has been missing for over a week, I have called numerous times and after an hour the line cuts me off. I have been to Manchetser Airport - they say it's not their problem.

I just want my belongings, not compensation, not even an apology. Just someone to make me feel that they care and that all is being done to find my suitcase. Instead I have been lied to, told that my case was in Manchester (it wasn't - I drove 100 miles there to be advised this wasn't true).

I am disgusted by KLM's attitude to customers that have issues with lost baggage.

KLM Airlines — items missing from baggage

I Traveled from JFK NY to New Delhi and their 2 baggage were missing when they reached Delhi...

Harrison

KLM Royal Dutch Airlinesdelayed damaged luggage and stolen property

I took a flight from Amsterdam to Chicago on the 28 of November 2009. Flight number KL611. My luggage did not arrive until the 29 of November. When I received my luggage, it was damaged and It was missing some of the contents, and there was damage to a object. Missing is one Samsung cell phone, One leather belt. And damage to a picture and frame. I have complained to KLM, I have had no response. This is the second time in three months that my luggage has been a day late! I think that I deserve better than this! I think I should find a new airline to fly with in the future. Thank you, Customer R.F.LeFevers Jr.

KLM (Royal Dutch Airlines)terrible customer service and not protecting passenger privacy

My husband and I are going through VERY nasty divorce proceedings. My lawyer says that this is the worst he has seen in his 25 years of practice We currently live in Curacao. (that is the background so you will understand the rest of the story.)

I booked a ticket through KLM in Curacao and departed from Curacao to Amsterdam on the 29th September. My husband (through his contacts) found out my BOOKING REFERENCE CODE from a KLM employee - he boasted in telling me this. By the way - he is a lawyer and this is highly illegal for KLM staff. On the night of my flight, he called me and threatened me on the phone, saying he knew that I was flying with KLM that evening and he knew exactly when I was coming back.

The next day, my husband and his mistress flew business class to The Netherlands together. My husband STOLE 100, 000 Flying Blue miles from our son - I mean the guy is a lawyer and can afford to pay for a ticket. With our son's points he upgraded himself and his mistress. My 9 year old son was so upset when he found out.

With this booking reference number, my husband is able to track down when I am coming back to Curacao - even though I explicitly had informed KLM to make a note NOT to give out any information if anyone had asked. Last week (my son was with him), he received a telephone call from a woman (my son heard a woman on the other end) who informed him that I was coming back on Saturday (as I just changed my flight.) When he spoke to her, he said in Dutch, "Okay, she is arriving this coming Saturday. Thank you."

Flying Blue contacted me and said they would work something out regarding the 1000, 000 points, but did NOTHING about this. According to Flying Blue rules - the legal custodian"s" must give permission for these points to be taken. I am also a legal custodian, but did not authorise this.

My husband has given his mistress permission to get into our apartment in Amsterdam where we have a lot of personal belongings and a collection of inventory. She knows exactly when I am flying back and my husband keeps calling me and telling me this.

I raised the privacy issue with KLM Customer service and also spoke to the Schiphol Police regarding this. I gave them the names of my husband and his girlfriend and informed them of what had occurred. I also gave them the name of the woman at Curacao Airport who was very friendly with my husband and wanted them to look into this.

In the meantime, I do not want the mistress to come to the apartment, nor do I want my husband to know when I am coming back. He is very nasty and told me that he had the power to have me arrested at the airport (for nothing might I add, but he is a lawyer and can exercise his power quite freely over there.) So I have changed my ticket 5 times already - each time incurring a US $100 fee. My lawyers have written to the prosecutor in Curacao in order to protect me, but I am constantly being bullied, receiving calls and threats from my husband since I arrived to Amsterdam.

I requested KLM customer service to please assist me - that I was being bullied and telephoned by my husband and I needed some help - either by the Schiphol Police or by KLM. KLM refused saying I had no proof of my allegations - isn't that the job of security??? Furthermore, the (lack of) customer service manager said I could not receive a refund on my US $100 changing fee, which is now up to US $500 and that KLM could not change my booking reference number (for my privacy and safety.) So my husband is doing something ILLEGAL, getting away with it and furthermore, KLM is assisting him by not doing anything about this.

I am now forfeiting my KLM ticket and flying via via via another airline, country, etc - anything to avoid flying KLM with their terrible service and attitude. Also I do not want my husband to keep calling me and informing me that he knows when am coming back and that he was going to do something to me.

This is the last letter I received from customer service at KLM, "For all your new inquiries I advise you to contact them (security) directly, you have the number already. I can not do anything more for you and I will not reply any more to your e-mails." ... I had sent her 3 emails by the way. GREAT service - NOT.

Where is justice? KLM is an airline that does not really care about the privacy of their passengers.

• Co
                                  complan pal Nov 08, 2009

Hi, you have been presistent but not smart.

1. You should have bought a 20 $ Mobile phone call recording on your mobile phone to record all the threatening by your husband.
                                  2. if you are aready having a nasty divorce proceedings what prevented in going to police immediately on his threatening .
                                  3. Your lawyer seems to be newbie who could not advise how to handle a very small case like this. Change your lawyer to a smarter one.
                                  4. Since your husband also knows the password for Flying Blue reward site, and you never bothered to change that to a new one., he used it to transfer to his Keep. Airline does not bother as long as the correct password is used by anyone.

If somebody plays with you foul play, play in the same way, but use smart advice. It seems you donot have any good advisor. File a case againt KLM with evidences in the Consumer court, but with acceptable evidences . Ask for compensation and punitive damages from the Air lines.

A Friend on the Net.
                                  JP

KLMfree hotel

To whom it concern, I would like to tell you of my experience when flying with klm to houstonon transit to belize. We arrived in houston (George bush airport) to be met with very long immigration lines, we only had 1hour and 30 mins to get through the lines and collect our bags and check in and go through customs and get tour next flight. I unfortuatly filled out my esta wrong so got taken into immigration and question but later relaised (30mins later) to which we missed our flight. Im not blaming your company for my mistake that was off my own mistake, but what follows is why im emailing you. We went to klm checkin desk to try and get another flight and we did the next day which we appreciated very much but with 2 children and a young adult and my self it was very horrible experience. I asked them to help me find some where close to stay as I do not know the country and the gentelman behinde the desk kindly issued me with a hotel voucher (americans best value hotel) to stay, I went to the shuttel desk which the person who issued the voucher said I would get a free bus to, the man behinde the desk said they dont do shuttels to I asked can I get a taxi he said yes whats the address gave him the voucher and he looked at it phoned them for me. I got the address and away I went to the hotel when we all arrived very tired hungry and hot and 62 dollars to get there to find out that wasent the hotel I was very very mad. I then asked the lady behinde the desk if she could help me find it I phone the hotel help line and they gave me the address and away we went again 50 dollars this time to get there. Then next morning the owner said he dosent deal with urselfs but it was his mistake for letting us stay. So then I had to get to the airport taxi 54 dollars. It was avery expensive experience that I didnt need with young children and would like some compensation for. I have recipts if you which to look athem unfortunatly they are bigger the 2m so I can send them to you. Thank you for listing to my complain a hope to here back from you.