Kia Battery Terminal Connectors / battery terminal connector design

The battery terminal connectors are made out of flimsy 1/16" stamped metal rather than what most manufacturer's use - heavy metal. When connected to a battery, corrosion is normal. This isn't a problem if there's a lot of metal in the connector - one simply brushes off the corrosion with a wire brush and reattaches the connector. With the Kia design, the connector isn't a solid clamp and is so thin that the corrosion destroys the connector. But - you cannot just replace the connector because they have designed the connector as an integral part of a WIRE HARNESS. If the crappy connector fails - and it will - you have to pay nearly $500 to replace the entire wire harness! I called Kia and they refused to make any allowance because the vehicle is out of warranty. The problem isn't that the part is poorly MANUFACTURED - I'm sure it's made exactly to specifications. The problem is that it is poorly DESIGNED. I'm okay with paying for parts that wear out in the normal course of use. I am NOT okay with paying for parts that wear out because the engineers were idiots and the company decided to back their idiots rather than their customers.

Kia Battery Terminal Connectors

Comments

• Dr
      18th of Jan, 2019

I agree. I have a 2011 kia soul. I have starting issues in the cold temps. at anything below 25 degrees which started happening about 4 years ago (I now don't even have 70, 000 miles on it). I did change the battery a couple years ago but that did not help. Battery tests good to this day and so doesn't the alternator I've read online where people said they changed their starter but that didn't help. I don't want to be at the mercy of the kia dealership and pay tons of $$$$ and no fix! I won't buy another one. It drives great and is very comfortable car but the thought of breaking down especially in the freezing cold creates too much anxiety for me. Also, another flaw is the ground cable is on a painted surface. I did sand it down to bare metal but that did not help but I've read it has helped others.