Kenmore Oasis washing machine / broken machine

1 FL, United States Review updated:

I bought a Sears Kenmore Oasis HE washing machine two years ago. After 18 months I was told I needed a new control panel which costs 400.00, that's more than a new small machine! it keeps displaying F51 in the middle of a cycle and the wash stops. I've read about a class action suit. Sears made a faulty product and needs to recall and replace the control boards for free. It's a terrible machine. They boast being able to do large loads, you can only do small loads or everything is a tangled mess. When it is working you can was only 1 sheet at a time. That's six loads you must do for three beds. Do not buy one.

As

Comments

• Pe
      23rd of Feb, 2009

We've had numerous problems with the HE. The computer goes 'tilt' in the middle of a wash, the 'Ld'(won't drain properly) display comes on and it stops. The ONLY way to get it working is to take out the still-soaked load, UNPLUG the machine and let it sit until the memory clears from the computer control board. THEN you have to put in a whole new load and hope it works. Had it fixed twice by SEARS. The repairman even told us they were having alot of problems with the mother boards in these. So, what is SEARS doing?

• Bi
      15th of Mar, 2009

My computer is good but it leaks all over the floor and I cant find the leak it is big and is all over the thing on the bottom where the drain hose is hooked too. the hose is good

• Cc
      23rd of Jun, 2009
    Kenmore Oasis washing machine - POOR
    SEARS

I too own a Kenmore Elite Oasis top load HE washer...and have filed with the BBB, and the class action lawsuit. will keep you all posted. Sears repair sucks...customer service...horrible, liars, uncaring...etc...through online blogs is how i found product resolutions who PROMISED me this part would fix my washer..of course it didnt, repair man was here today and its still blinking and buzzing like a monster...a ghost...it has a mind of its own. So the "keypad" i now need will be 400. 200 i was quoted for a warranty which i never purchased, like most of you because you figured spending 1000+ on a washer...would be sufficient..boy were we all suckers...I hope i have good luck with the BBB!

• Fe
      14th of Sep, 2009

i dont even know where to begin, i have the kenmore oasis washing machine and from day 1 i have had problems with this machine, the most recent and one that has left my home in turmoit is when the tech came out last week to finally try to fix it, which i havent had a washer for 5 weeks now. well the washer let go after the tech left my home and flooded out from the 2nd story down and these people would not even send anyone out to clean up the mess, ive filed with the BBB and im hoping there is a class action lawsuit in which ia can register...please hepl im at the end of my rope!

• Fe
      14th of Sep, 2009

please contact me ...joe terrick if you are interested in starting a class action lawsuit against kenmore oasis washing machine company!!
    terrickiv@aol.com

• Ko
      13th of Nov, 2009

My machine has not washed my clothing properly since my purchase, my clothes smell musty after being washed and i have tried every thing to solve the problem .

• Hr
      18th of Mar, 2011

I also bought one of the Kenmore Elite Oasis peices of crap. About 30 minutes into a wash cycle the machine displays F51 code. Read some other complaints with the same problem and finally worked on the washer myself. ( I made very sure the power cord was disconnected, also the water hoses and drain hose) and tilted the machine over to where I could access an allen screw in the center of a white round panel. Believe it or not, this round panel is part of the motor with a row of magnets all the way around. Anyway, once I removed this, there is a circle of coils of wire. There are four screws either 9mm or 10mm screws securing a small metal plate which have to be removed. Once you remove the last screw, you have to be careful, because the row of coils will drop and there are two electrical connectors attached. Underneath this, I found the rotation position sensor (RPS) which has approximately 5 brown wires running into the connector. I unplugged the connector, cleaned the contacts with sand paper, sprayed the contacts with a silicone spray that I purchased from Walmart and reassembled everything. I then went to the mother-board (circuit board) at the top of the machine at the control panel (loosen 3 screws in the back of the control panel to gain access), unplugged all of the connectors, and sprayed these contacts with the silicone spray. Put everything back together at the control panel; now the machine works great. No more F51 code! Not sure how long this will last, but now the washer copletes a wash cycle without any malfunction codes.

5th of Apr, 2011

Wow! I purchased my "Oasis" set approx.2.5 years ago. I am now experiencing the "F51" code problem!! I had no idea there were problems with these machines. This was not an inexpensive machine to purchase, and a little over 2 years down the road I am having problems??? Sears/Oasis/Kenmore should be ashamed of themselves. Once they found out the product was defective, they should have informed the purchasers of these machines and told us what they would do to fix them! I am past the warranty phase and I do not know what to do. I'll be damned if I will pay hundreds more to have a 2.5 year old machine repaired. If there is a class action, I am in!!!

7th of Sep, 2011

I just spent $79.95 on a “diagnostic” from the local repair shop. I purchased my Oasis washer in 2007 and the extended warranty. I have had a repair man here every year since purchasing this washer for UL, CPU board, agitator issues, and error code. My warranty ran out 10/2011 and I’m having the UL issue with wash “even when there is nothing in the washing machine”. The technician said the shaft has gotten bent from stress of the previous UL problems. Now it will cost me $200+ for the part, $100+ for the install, and the $79.95 I just spent for the diagnostic service call. I did not get any recall notice because they said it wasn’t in the recall list. I called the US Consumer Safety and Protection, they said they couldn’t help if it wasn’t causing a safety issue. I called the VA State Consumer Protection Office, they said to file a complaint and they would investigate and contact the company on my behalf. I’ve called Sears twice and they want me to spent $129+ for another “diagnostic” technician. I just want it replaced or the repair covered. It can’t run a load without needing manual intervention. And my husband has started taking the clothes to the laundry mat. I spent around $600 for the washer in 2007. I didn’t even know until today that Whirlpool makes these washers, I was told it was a Kenmore (Sears product). I wont buy another Sears applicance. I want to be included in any class action.
    Model #110.27032603 Serial #CU3971134

• Ki
      11th of Sep, 2011

I'm in the same boat as all of the others who have posted. The machine is a 2-3 years old. The first time the error 51 code showed up was 18 months post purchase. Of course, it was out of warranty. My husband is a Mr. Fix It kind of guy and he unplugged, replugged and rewired the control panel. A little over a year later, we have the same problem. He's checked the connections, took everything apart and found a small leaking area about 2-3 inches above the bottom motor housing. He suspects this is the problem for the error code and the leaking...turns out that wasn't the problem. This washer is junk. I feel cheated by Sears.

8th of Sep, 2012

We have had this unit for two years and have a pool of water under it after each wash. I took the back panel off and found that the small black pipes under the control panel are wet. I'm assuming that this is where the puddle starts from, I can't however get access from them, has anyone done this disassembly?

• Dm
      19th of Nov, 2012

I have had my Oasis for 6 years and it has been repaired 2 times. Now I have been getting an error code F1. I had call Sear to send a repair person out to look at it and all they wanted to do is sell me a Service contract on it. They were so pushy and they wanted to charge my account the amount of $224.00 for the year. I did not have the money at the time I placed the service call and told them to please send the repair man for the diagnostic. When the repair man came out and told me it was the mother-board (circuit board) was bad and it would cost me $380.00 to have it repair but they would not charge for the labor if I place the order right there and then. I have to stay home when i do the laundry because I get the F1 twice during the cycle and have to stop and then restart in order to get the wash completed. I don't think it's fair that these machines are having problems and we as consumer's are not notified. I am very discussed with Sears and will never purchase appliance from them. I will work this machine as long as I can and get a new one. To all the people that are thinking on buying any Sears Appliances please beware and read all the complaints about their merchandise prior to buying them. If I know now what I knew when I purchased it I would have bought a different machine.

• Al
      16th of Jun, 2017

Wow, this all sounds so familiar! The washing machine (kenmore oasis) was left here when we bought our home... and now I see why. First, we had the leak from the bottom, which my awesome husband fixed, and now we have the annoying UL code that won't go away. I just read over a dozen complaints from consumers about the same problems with the same machines and yet here we sit allowing the big corporations to take our hard earned money and give us dysfunctional machines in return! WTF!?!? I'm so sick of being taken advantage of by companies that are just too big to touch. If anyone has any useful advice on what to do to stop this cycle of corporate negligence, please please please contact me @ allybeccalau@gmail.com. Hopefully, together we can come up with a plan to get some compensation from a company that doesn't care that it's selling irreparable junk to consumers like us.