Kenmore BBQ / grill defective

Well...I have a Kenmore Gas Grill I purchased from Sears on April 20th 2008. The 1yr warranty has since expired but I tried using the grill last night and noticed that the top above the 2 burner controls in the middle was getting very hot. I shut the grill off and noticed that the burner knobs were melted. I called 1-800-4 my home and they told me that the warranty was expired and that there is a 5yr limited parts warranty and the burners are covered but if the technician comes out it will be a 96 dollar service charge and if the part is warrantied than there will be a charge for labor. I checked into it further today and found that the burners are leaking at the valves behind the knobs. The gas is actually coming out like a mini blow torch. I feel that this should be fixed for free and no money out of my pocket. I only used the grill one summer and this happens now. This is obviously is a manufacturer defect but yet they would rather lose a customer instead of making me happy and taking care of the problem. I have been a Sears customer for a very long time and so is my mother and sister. I have a Sears Gold card that I also use quite frequently. I am going to contact shame on you and send a copy of this letter to better business bureau as well. Not for nothing but with all the complaints on this site about Sears you would think they would want to make there customers happy. Instead it seems to me that they are making a lot of people very unhappy. In these very difficult economic times money is tight and this is just just not fair.

Ca

Comments

• Se
      24th of May, 2011

To Cary,

My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears and I am sorry that your grill is not working properly. I understand that you are unhappy with having to pay for service. We would like to help. At your convenience, please contact our office at smsupport@searshc.com and provide a contact phone number and the phone number the grill was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (Cary) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.