Having problems with Kenmore?

+1 844 553 6667 (Kenmore Product Questions)
+1 800 549 4505 (Retail Customer Care)
+1 800 326 8738 (Sears Product Installation)
+1 800 366 7278 (Sears Parts Direct Inquiries)
+1 888 820 3350 (Sears Appliance Repair)
8330 Hansen Rd
Houston, Florida

Complaints & Reviews

fire hazard

75 year old mother in law was cooking dinner, put garlic bread in oven and set timer. Before timer went off the smoke started rolling from the oven vent and the garlic bread was burning. She shut off the control for the oven and removed the pan. Then she noticed the burner was glowing brighter than she had ever seen it. Immediately she called me. I was about 30 min. away grocery shopping and asked her if she thought she could find the house breaker, she couldn't. I drove like a nut home to find her frantic, the kitchen in shambles and the range pulled from the wall with the plug pulled out. A friend of the family was kind enough to assist her with it. After almost 2 hours you could still not hardly touch the range outer walls and the kitchen wall itself was still hot. When the unit was plugged in again the lower element came immediately back on even though the control panel showed it was off. Model number is [protected] and serial number VF13009839. Needless to say Sears is not interested in assisting with the situation at all. I now have to scrape together enough money to purchase a new (definately not frigidare or kenmore) range. I wouldn't even think of fixing it. Fix it with what, more junk parts that could do it all over again? What in heavens name is Sears problem, are they just waiting for someone like my mother in law to die before they stand up and take responsibility? The woman can't even fix a hot meal without risking her life. Everyone needs to be aware of severe risk with having these units plugged in to a power supply, let alone using them to cook with. I cannot express enough my anger and concern with the product and it's representatives. Knowing there are other people out there who are totally unaware of the danger that is sitting in their kitchen just waiting for the opportunity to destroy their home and possibly take their life makes for alot of sleepless nights for me but obviously not for the manufacturer or their distributors.

• SearsCare Sep 24, 2010

Dear couch01,

I'd like to apologize for responding late to your post here; I just came across it. I'm Scott with Sears Cares Escalations within corporate. I'm truly sorry and concerned about what I've read here. I definitely can understand your cause for concern and stress over this situation. Heating elements should not get so hot to the point where the range unit itself is too hot to touch. I'm so sorry to hear of the fear and inconvenience, to say the least, this has caused your mother-in-law and yourself. We'd like to offer assistance. At your convenience please contact my office via email at [email protected] so that we can assist with resolving this issue. Please provide us a contact number and the phone number the range was purchased under and we will call you at your convenience. In addition, include your screen name (couch01) in the email so we can reference to your case.

Scott J.
    Sears Cares

• Jw
    JWDL May 25, 2011

Hello couch01,

My wife called me at work today to tell me our Kenmore stove was on fire. It does not sound like the same problem you had, but as I read more about Kenmore problems, I do not think I want to fix mine. Nobody got hurt, but I am afraid that next time we will not be so lucky. My wife turned the stove on broil and heard what she called a sizziling noise then saw fire coming from the back of the stove. She tried to turned off the stove, then after a few seconds, the fire went out. When she called me I told her to switch off the breaker, the same as you told your mother.

We bought the stove in 2005, the model number is 790.96613409. I called Sears and they offer to send someone out to fix it for $239. I expect that the control panel needs to be replaced and $239 is likely a fair price, but I also expect the we will have the same problem again in the future. Sears seems to have no interest in offering any help. They only recommended that I submit a report.

• Jw
    JWDL May 27, 2011

My wife turned the stove on broil and heard what she called a sizzling noise, then heard a loud pop and saw fire coming from the back of the stove. She tried to turned off the stove, after a few seconds the fire went out. When she called me, I told her to switch off the house breaker. I looked at the area where the fire came from and it looks like the problem started in the circuit board. I talked to Sears and wrote an email to someone at Sears cares. I was contacted by a case worker. She informed me that she researched the model number and there are no known issues with the product. I asked some technical questions she could not answer and she gave me a number to call to get some answers. I was put in contact with a technician that was very helpful. After a few minutes of discussion I had the technician cross check the circuit board in my stove with other reported returns. He was able to confirm there have been other circuit boards returned with the same concern. I was shocked because Sears identified that there were no reported problems with my model. To make sure I was hearing this correct, I had the technician repeat what he said and he described the other reported conditions. They were exactly the same as the concern that I reported. He informed me that the manufacturer has been notified of the problem, however a new design circuit board is not available at this time. I shared this information with the case worker, but I am not sure this did any good because I got a big speech about the fact that I bought the stove and the warranty has expired. At that moment it was clear to me that Sears does not stand behind the product that they sell.

My wife and I bought the stove in Oct 2005 for over $1, 000. The model number is 790.96613409. I called Sears and they offered a discount if I want the stove repaired or they will offered a discount on a new stove from Sears. I would like to think I can work something out with Sears, but it is my understanding that the replacement part is the same design as the one that failed in my stove. If I put the same part in the stove, there is a chance that I will have the same issue again. I was luckly that the fire went out. I do not want to take that chance again. The discount offered on a new stove was poor. It was no better then a discount anyone could get if they shop for the right sale.

I am very disappointed with Sears and will report this information to the CPSC. I am not sure what I am going to do with the stove, but I am thinking of trying to find a company that will stand behind the products they sell.

• SearsCare May 27, 2011

To JWDL,

My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears and I am very sorry that you have not yet recieved an acceptable solution to this issue. Unfortunately I could not find your information with Sears Cares to reference to this issue. We do value your business and would like to help. At your convenience, please contact our office at [email protected] and provide a contact phone number and the phone number the stove was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (JWDL) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

• Da
    davidvc04 May 31, 2011

We have a Kenmore 790.9612. The front left burner sometimes will not turn off immediately, but instead continues to burn extremely hot. The burner does not respond to the dial being turned to off or any other temperature setting. Like others, we called Sears and were told that there'd be a cost to repair it. I understand that the warranty has expired, but this is a broad problem, not an isolated incident. The control board on these 790's is obviously defective as I have now read many reports of broilers causing fires and oven eyes not turning off. Like the above complainant, I'm unsure if I want this repaired as I find it hard to trust the product. Moreover, Sears's reluctance to acknowledge the problem or deal with it fairly is a concern. We remodeled our kitchen four years ago and went to Sears based on its reputation, but with two failed appliances from that purchase, one of which seems very dangerous, I'm having a hard time having faith in the company.

• SearsCare May 31, 2011

To davidvc04,

My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears and we would like to help. I have reached out to you under a previous posting so if you've already replied please disregard this message. At your convenience, please contact our office at [email protected] Please send us an email providing a contact phone number and the phone number the range was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (davidvc04) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Sears Social Media Support

repair service or lack of

I was schelduled for service on my central air unit on August 19th between 1pm and 5pm . at 540 pm I called...

failure to repair x 3, poor customer problem resolution

I requested service to repair refrig. via Sears website 7/25/10,
Fridge is under warranty, First repair man, who came on 7/28/10, was not given appliance specs from Sears and billed me $420 to order new compressor. Attempt #2 came 8/5 - compressor shipped was a used one packaged as new so now I am set up for Attempt #3 set for 8/12/10, services man arrives after the scheduled time and is here until 7pm installing new compressor, by morning of 8/13/10, fridge is still not cooling, Called Sears customer service and resolution desk, Jackie-Sasha-Chase and then Linda failed to work with me and make their errors right...instead of working out a time on Saturday 8/14 when I am available, they insist they can only make this Attempt #4 service appointment when it is not possible for me to be present. This is not problem resolution, this is not good customer service and Sears says take it or leave it...it is not a concern to them. I have $420 wrapped up in this, which they say will be reimbursed back but only after the service is completed..whenever that will be... I have 2 case #'s 3217843 and 3243131 for what that's worth.

broken vegetable drawers - small ball bearing wheels broke off

I have a Kenmore Elite 3 door with the freezer on the bottom... model number 795.[protected].

Another problem I had with this fridge is the vegetable drawers, as the small ball bearing wheels broke off just after the warranty expired. They still slide in and out, but they are resting on the plastic guides now so it is not so smooth and will probably wear out prematurely. The ball bearing wheels were connected to the frame by about 1/4" of plastic, so it's no wonder that they broke.
The fix is not simple, you have to replace the whole frame that the drawers slide into, utilizing the glass from the old frame, hence the difficulty.

I had another problem with this fridge involving the interior lights, so while he was working on the light problem, I asked the Tech about this drawer problem, and he admitted that it was an ongoing problem with my model, but not enough people had complained about it so there were no repairs authorized.
He went on to say that Sears says the wheels broke because the drawers were possibly "overloaded".

Overloaded?? With Fruits and Vegetables? How could that be possible?

If a small drawer in a $2000+ Refrigerator was designed to hold fruits and vegetables, don't you think the drawer should be strong enough to be able to hold as many of these items as you could possibly fit in it?
There was no warning from the salesperson, or on the documentation that came with the fridge, that stated I could overload the drawer!

Engineering flaw in the design if you ask me.

John - McHenry Apr 23, 2011

I agree. Same problem with the fruit drawer on our GE GDSS0KCXCRSS. Cracked when loading too many apples into it. Now they want $98.00 for 2 flimsy molded plastic drawers!

• Va
    ValuedCustomerToo Apr 23, 2011

The tech that came to fix my light problem told me the same thing, that I must have overloaded it. I basically told him the same thing you stated, if there is a drawer to hold fruits and vegies, it should be able to hold a drawer full of the heaviest kind with no problems. He suggested I complain to Sears, and I did many times, but I guess not enough other people have done the same. If you have this problem, take the time to Complain, Complain, Complain!

• SearsCare Apr 23, 2011

To ValuedCustomerToo,
    My name is James H. and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears and I am very sorry to hear about the issues you are having with a refrigerator that you purchased from Sears. We would like to help. We are a single point of contact for escalated concerns which means we step into a situation and handle it start to finish with one Case Manager. At your convenience, please contact our office at [email protected] so you (and others) don’t have to continue to be impacted by this. At your convenience, please send us an email. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the item(s) were purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (ValuedCustomerToo) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

marquess11 Aug 25, 2012

I have the same problem with my 3 year old Kenmore elite side by side. Certainly the problem must be defective. When I contacted Sears they advised I needed a repair technician. The bins need to be replaced!! Sears needs to stand behind their product.

• SearsCare Aug 29, 2012

To Marquess11,

I am so sorry that you’ve encountered these problems with your refrigerator. I understand how inconvenient it is to have such a major appliance fail. My name is Kiera and I am a part of the Sears Social Media Support Team. We would like to contact you directly to further discuss the events that have occurred so that we may see how we can assist you. At your convenience, please email our offices at [email protected] with your contact details, and the phone number the refrigerator is listed under and a Case Manager will reach out to you. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (marquess11) you used to post to this site for reference to your original post. We look forward to working with you soon.

Kiera J.

unsatisfaction with merchandise

I bought the Kenmore Elite ST washer in blue, Kenmore Elite HT dryer and the Kenmore Elite 3 drawer stainle...

liner getting cracked in less then 2 years

Brand Kenmore/Model no [protected]/Serial no SW1529629 I bought a kenmore side by side stainlesss steel...

product & service

Purchased on 2/14/10; delivered 2/17/10. Ovens ran 125F under what the console stated; had a gas leak in the front left burner and other leaks with in 35 days of delivery. Have a Master Protection agreement.
The range has had no less than nine service calls and still does not work.
Pacific Gas and Electric were here on 7/8/10 and stated that Sears was to fix a gas leak in the right rear quadrant ASAP.

Today is the 14th of July and the range is still not fixed. Am waiting for a repair peson to come figure out what parts to order; will have to wait several days for the part and then more time to get a tech out here.
Sears refused to do a product for product replacement; eventhough the problems were reported well within the first 60 days. Wanted to give us an in store credit for the sale price which would not compare to the range we have. Sears has ignored contact by the CA consumer affairs department and has been very uncooperative to the point that one of their order men swore at the technician who was trying to order parts.
So far it has had: new sensors [one caught on fire]; 2 control panels; rubber for around the top oven; gas valve; hinges. AND STILL DOES NOT WORK!
We will never purchase anything from Sears again. They value our patronage: hogwash; they have left a range that is leaking gas without so much as a service call.

Also they changed the service appointment on me. When I called yesterday to verify the change 2 different representatives hung up on me. One after having me on hold for 42 minuts.

Sears Reviews By Product:

Reviews by product/serviceRefrigerator (45)Kenmore Elite Appliances (44)Customer Service (27)Appliance Repair (18)Credit Card (17)Dishwasher (15)Repair Service (14)Washing Machine (14)Kenmore Washer/Dryer (12)Kenmore Dishwasher (11)Washer Repair Service (11)Kenmore Refrigerator (10)Sears Kenmore Refrigerator/Freezer (10)Service (10)Water Heater Repair (10)Kenmore Dryer (9)Kenmore Front Load (9)Appliances (8)Delivery (8)Dryer (8)Installation (8)Sears Credit Card (8)Dishwasher Repair (7)Repair (7)Service Call (7)Washer And Dryer (7)Central Air (6)Delivery Of A HE4t (6)Hot Water Heater/Installation (6)Kenmore Side By (6)Master Protection (6)Tires (6)Washer (6)Air Conditioner (5)Appliance Service (5)Bosch Dishwasher (5)Carpet Cleaning (5)Craftsman Lawnmower (5)Credit Cards (5)Home Delivery (5)Kenmore Calypso (5)Kenmore Gas Burning (5)Kenmore HE2 Washer (5)Lawn Mower (5)Maintenance Agreement (5)Return Policy (5)Sears Mastercard (5)Sears Parts Department (5)Warranty (5)Appliance Delivery (4)Delivery Service (4)Front Load Washer (4)Heating And Cooling (4)Kenmore Range And (4)Kenmore Stove (4)Kitchen Remodel (4)Large Appliances (4)Lawn Tractor (4)Refridgerator (4)Service Contract (4) Got something to say? Help other consumers by sharing your experiences on My3cents...

Community Tools:

Read comments (1)
Consumers: Add your 3 cents to this review!
Business Owner? Post your company response!
More reviews on this company

More reviews on Sears:
Sears Home Delivery - Terrell Services - Refrigerator
VW Wheel bearing failure at 60 MPH - Brake System evaluation and Maintanence
DO NOT BUY SEARS REFRIGERATORS - Kenmore Coldspot with Accelerator Ice Maker
Sears Repair Stinks - Kenmore Side By Side Refrigerator
Never do timing belt change at sears
Sears Service is the worst! - Large Appliance Repair
Online buying hassle - tools
Customer service - na

advertise here

User Discussion - Add your 3 cents!

Instructions for Author: Please use the Remove button for any comment that is considered spam, inappropriate, user harassment, mean, insulting, passive aggressive or disrespectful. Please do not use the Remove feature for comments you may not agree with.

If you find a comment particularly helpful or useful, please use the Reward this user for helpful advice button. Thanks!

Venice09 (07/14/2010)
I'm surprised the gas company didn't make you disconnect the stove. Is it a continuous gas leak?

Add your 3 cents!

Please respect the author and other members when posting your message. Please do not post personal information regarding individuals. Solicitations (commercial or non-commercial) are not allowed and will be removed. Thanks!

For more information please see our Commenting Guidelines

Comment:
Check spelling

Add this discussion to my follow list

Sears Tools & Resources:
Company Rating: (1.5 out of 4 / 1802 votes)

How would you rate this company?

View company contact info
Compare ratings of other companies in this industry
Sears Consumer Report Overview

Browse more reviews in category Consumer Stores or subcategory Department Stores

Consumer Marketplace

Consumer Tools | My Account | Write a Review | Compare Company Ratings | Company Contact Directory | Local Reviews
Businesses: Respond to Consumers | Product Recalls Directory from Google | Consumer News & Recall Info from Yahoo
HOME | FAQ | Advertise | About Us | Site Rules | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy | Press | Site Map | RSS

Copyright [protected] My3cents, LLC Browse in another language

oven door exploded

I can't believe it, I never heard of an oven door exploding but that is exactly what happened today with...

junk products

I purchased the Kenmore Elite HE4 Washer/Dryer set in Jan of 2006. 4 Months later, the control board on the dryer went. It took 2 weeks to get Sears repair to fix it. Cost me $100 in laundry fees while my dryer was down. Now, as of yesterday, my dryer turns on all by itself and you can't shut it off without unplugging it. Serious safety issue there, and the same part has died twice in 4 years.

I call Sears Home Repair, and they want $130 just to come look at it, and they are not able to get out for 7 business days. When pressed on what the average repair for this problem is, their best estimate is that its the control board AGAIN, and will likely cost me about $250 to repair. Factor in about another $100 in laundry fees while its down for repair, and I'm looking at a total of $450 I'll be spending on this piece of garbage on top of the $1100 purchase price of the dryer. What a HUGE mistake buying such an expensive washer and dryer. I'd have been better off buying a $200 GE dryer and treat it as a disposable item. Certainly NOT what I would expect from a top of the line Kenmore product.

So I go to the Sears in North Attleboro, MA where I bought it hoping the store would make good on it. Considering that My ENTIRE house is Kenmore/Craftsman products and always has been, I figured they might show me a little loyalty in return.

I speak to the manager (Tracy) and she literally treated me like I was wasting her time. I simply asked what could be done, being that I bought the top of the line washer dryer set and the quality was NOT what I expected for a $2700 washer/dryer set, and I was thoroughly dissatisfied with the product. I then pointed to the quotes on the receipt booklet that says "Your satisfaction is our #1 priority" and "Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back". She said well, you're satisfied with the product, and you are simply experiencing a mechanical issue. We have quality repair technicians available to repair your mechanical issue. She then went on to say we make quality products and I should have bought the extended warranty. I said that makes no sense. You just said you make quality products, so why would I need an extended warranty on something that is supposedly a quality product. I then said I don't want my money back, I just want a dryer that doesn't break down every couple of years and cost me hundreds of dollars to repair. The fact that of the matter is the same exact component has failed twice now, and its certainly far from the quality I've always experienced and come to expect from Sears products. To this she repeats her statement that I should have bought the extended warranty, and because I didn't, I'll need to pay all necessary costs to have it repaired.

I then said but you don't understand, I buy nothing but Sears products, and even tried to show her photos of the dozen or so major Kenmore/Craftsman items I have throughout my house (washer, dryer, dishwasher, stove, refrigerator, lawn tractor, snow blower, garage door opener, gas grill, air compressor, tool cabinets, and dozens of tools/shop items.) to prove that I truly was a loyal Sears customer. She said something to the effect that well, I'm sorry, but I have other things to attend to, is there anything else? I said, well, I guess I'm done with Sears. You've lost an honest to God 100% loyal customer, if this is the quality of service and products I can now expect from Sears. To which she literally replied "oh, well have a nice day then" and just walked away.

Thanks Tracy, I now know how Sears feels about their long, long time, loyal customers, and you've single- handedly ended that long standing relationship.

MY OPINION? DO NOT BUY FROM SEARS, THEY NO LONGER STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, NOR DO THEY SHOW LOYALTY TO LOYAL CUSTOMERS!!

kenmore front load he2 quietpak4

We have all kenmore products in our home and have experienced excessive issues with each. Some to the point of replacement. The current issue we are having is with our front load kenmore he2 quickpak 4 washer and dryer. The washer has had a number of repairs done to it that are all documented within sears call center system. The most recent was today when i went downstairs and found an inch of water in my laundry room floor from the washer and the code on the screen was "5d". It was in the spin cycle for over an hour and would not turn off unless i hit cancel. . . It then drained and turned off. The drawer underneath the washer also had water in it. There was a small load in the washer so not sure what triggered this. I called the customer service center and spoke to maynard id# 1245. He was not very helpful in my opinion because he did the bare minimum to serve me. . Which seems to be the case with all customer service centers thse days. . . They do the bare minimum. He told me monday june 7th would the the earliest a tech could come out. I had to be asked to be put on a call back list for cancelled apts. To me i would expect a quicker response being i told them i had a floor of water which is a safety hazzard in itself and could cause more serious damage to the floor, seeping under the basemold etc. . . This could create more of an issue. I guess to sum this all up, we have had more than a normal share of issues with all our kenmore appliances. . . Especially our front load washer that is only 3 years old. We had to purchase the extended warranty due to all the issues we were having. In my opinion this should have been offered to us free of charge since we were having so many issues. At this point we are really wanting a new washer. There is no acceptable reason for the amount of defaults with this washer.

tearing up my clothes

I purchased a Kenmore clothes dryer, Sept 2008 model #970c8817200 I t is tearing up my clothes, I had someone...

f1 error code - defective washer

My husband I purchased a Kenmore Elite Oasis washer and for the past year we have been getting an F1 Error code several times through out the wash cycle, EVERY SINGLE LOAD! I received a letter in the mail regarding this issue from Sears and called the number and they advised me that my serial number was not included in the recall. I have been a loyal Sears/Kenmore customer for over 40 years and I am very unhappy with the way I have been treated by the customer service people and the quality of this very expensive washer I bought! I do not believe I should pay someone to come out and fix my washer when there was a recall for this problem and mine just "wasn't included". I ADVISE ANYONE INTERESTED IN BUYING A KENMORE WASHER TO DO YOUR RESEARCH... READ REVIEWS THEIR PRODUCTS ARE DEFECTIVE AND UNRELIABLE !!!

Kathy Walters
[protected]@aol.com

• Jg
    Jgalanti May 17, 2010

I have the same issue and not on the "upgrade" list. This is ridiculous as I have also been a loyal Sears customer for allappliances and automotive needs. They have totally lost my as a customer for everything including my children's photo sessions. I hear there is a class action law suit that we all need to locate and sign up on. Sears should fall out of business if they aren't going to secure their valuable customers as loyal as we have been to them.

• Ri
    Rick Ead Apr 28, 2011

Hello, I repair appliances in the state that I currently reside and can tell you of the three sisters never to buy the whirlpool cabrio, calypso, and the kenmore oasis these three units all are made from the same company and all are nightmare machines that have been engineered poorly. The basic way the motor runs off the unit is by an rps sensor which is supposed to keep the motor spining at the factory set speeds in the unit. Unfortuatley they decided to be cheap when makeing the rps sensor and decided it would be cheaper for them to manufacturer the piece out of plastic instead of metal the initial idea was well intent until it reached whirlpools cost effective manufacturing line and that is when the machine went down hill there are many ongoing lawsuits currently against all three units and all are currently made by whirlpool

service

My Kenmore garbage disposal stopped working 2 weeks ago. Since it had a 7-year warranty, I called Sears "service" to see what my options were. I was told by a female employee that the earliest they could send someone out was in 2 weeks time. That seemed an awfully long time, but I agreed when I was EXPLICITLY assured that the service call would not cost me anything and the Sears technician would either fix or replace the unit. At no time was the Sears representative equivocal about the service call costing me nothing.The time scheduled was between 1:00 and 4:00 pm yesterday, April19. I was told that I would receive a courtesy call on Sunday, April 18, to remind me of the service appointment the next day. That call never came, so I called Sears "service" yesterday to see what was happening. I was assured that the technician would arrive at my house as promised, and that I would receive a call from him/her about 45 minutes before arrival. I never received such a call, so I called Sears again. I was assured once more that the technician would arrive. When I had received no call, I again called Sears. This time I was told that the technician was running late and that he would arrive before 6:00 pm. At 5:30, still not having received a call, I once more called Sears. I was assured that he was on the way. At 6:05 pm, I received a call stating that the technician had gone home and that the earliest they could reschedule me was April 19. An outrage!! After much complaining by me, I was told last night that I should call this morning and that perhaps someone could come to my house this morning. I called this morning at 8:00am and was scheduled for between 8:00 and noon today. Hence, I stayed home this morning. At about 11:00, my wife took a call stating that the technician was running late and that he would arrive about 2:00pm. Another several hours of my time wasted. I had a 12:00 meeting scheduled, and I cut the meeting short to return to my house by 2:00. A technician arrived about 2:00. He took one look at my disposal, stated that it was jammed, and that it would cost over $122 to unjam it So much for prior assurances during which I was lied to. After a most unsatisfactory discussion with "Romeo" at your customer, I was told that I had no choice but to pay for what in fact took your technician less that 2 minutes to solve. I wasted several hours of my time over 2 days, was repeatedly lied to, and will never buy a Sears product again.

display (temp control) not working

I have a Kenmore Elite model 795-[protected]. The display on the front door started going crazy for about a week and is now completely out. I had a Sears tech. come out and tell me it was the computer board behind the display. Instead of paying the 354.00 to him, I decided to order it myself and plug it in...easy...right! It didn't work. I also ordered the mother board in the rear and it still doesn't work. This disply board controls the temperature and the food is starting to freeze in the refer portion.

terrible product and service

I remodeled my kitchen with all new Sears Kenmore appliances. My dishwasher has a 5 year warrenty and after less than 3 years has started to break down. I made 4 service calls in less than 3 weeks. Each time a different part was replaced but my wait time in between repairs was at least a week. I complained after the 4th visit when the tech told me that the parts were on back order and I called to request a replacement dishwasher. Sears repair department approved a dollar amount for replacement and ask me to go into the store and pick out a new one. I have received now 3 calls in a month rescheduling delivery for the new dishwasher being on back order. Its it nearly 3 months that I have had a broken dishwasher and no replacement but Sear has not offered to waive a payment or anything for my inconvience. I AM VERY UPSET AND WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING EVER AGAIN AND WILL MAKE SURE I SPREAD THE WORD!!!

over wouldn't shut off

On Thursday, April 1 after baking muffins, I removed the muffin tray and shut the oven off. Or at least I thought I did. The oven temp. was 400. I went out to the mailbox to get the mail (five minutes) and when I returned all the hardwired skoke detectors were sounding in the house. There was some smoke, probably from the excessive heat in the oven and the upper heating elements were glowing red. I tried to turnthe oven off again to no avail. The smoke detectors continued, so I went downstairs and shut off the breaker to the stove.
A while later I turned the breaker back on to see if the stove (oven) might have reset itself. But to my horror the elements turned bright red again...Had I gone to the barn as Iusually do to clean (about 40 -minutes) I'm sure I would have had a fire and the house would have burned.
I called Sears, repair man came and my first question was, have you ever had a complaint about the oven not turning off. "Yes we have", he answered. My next question was why the product hadn't beenrecalled! This is a very dangerous situation...I've tried to talk with upper management at Sears or Kenmore...not getting anywhere...I'm left with a bill of $339 to fix the oven, of which they didn't have a part when they came on April 2 to diagnose the proble. Iwill try to pursue this with the company, but in the meantime I think the bottom line is the public should be made aware that this can happen..

• So
    Sophisticat Feb 11, 2013

2/10/13 Palmyra, Virginia. My Kenmore Select Clean model 665 Electric Range just scorched my pork roast dinner. I had just braised the meat & checked the veggies, then returned it to the oven and lowered the temp to 350. Good thing I decided to do something else in the kitchen because I then started to smell something burning. The broiler remained on, even when I turned the oven off. I threw the fuse, trying to reset it, but the power was restored, the broiler came on again by itself, even though the oven was OFF. I also tryed unplugging it and waited several hours. When I plugged it back in, the broiler started again by itself. This is no the 1st time this has happened. The broiler has started by itself (while I had the oven set on "Bake") about 5 times in the past 10 years. All the other times, I could get it to reset within 24 hours by throwing the fuse. This time, an error code, E345 appeared on the display. I see that Sears has recalled a newer 700 model for a similar problem. They should have recalled this model as well. A definite fire hazard!

[protected]

i bought my range in 2006. last night during dinner i broke a cap on a piece of metal in our cornbread. we finally realized there was metal in the oven and the top of the heating element had over an inch missing. its not in the oven, its all over the oven and in my family!! we have been ingesting metal and no telling what else from this oven! we were very sick in feb?? we have been being poisoned by our oven!!

oven turns itself on

This morning we woke up to a slight natural gas smell and the Kenmore gas range was burning hot. The knobs were all set to "off" and we hadn't used it in several days. Our only conclusion is that it turned on by itself. The oven/boiler was so hot I'm surprised there wasn't a fire already. We had to shut the gas valve off to get it to go off and cool down. If this had happened when we were on vacation something, I'm sure the house would have caught fire. We're lucky there wasn't a rug nearby or that would have caught fire for sure- it was SO hot- it may have been on all night. I've called Sears and they said there aren't any recalls for this stove (only 4-5 years old). It's not under warranty anymore, so we will either have to pay a repairperson or just get a new one. After this scare, I want it out of my house asap.

compressor failure

Bought a Sears Kenmore Elite Trio refrigerator in May of 2004. Worked fine until this week. The compressor died for no apparent reason. $750 to fix. We're buying a new Whirlpool for $799 instead. We bought a Philco refer in 1969 for $75.00 that was built in 1956. When we sold our home in 1986, that refer went with the home and was still working after 30 years. You don't get that kind of reliability from manufacturer's in this day and age anymore. The Elite Trio cost us $1700, and didn't make it 6 years. Reason we're not buying another Sears product is their high end Calypso washing machine we purchased in 2002 didn't last long either. We're done with Kenmore products.

sears return policy

I purchased a portable washer and dryer from the Sears store in Fairfield - just southwest of Birmingham. These are Kenmore appliances so my expectations were high. The washer/dryer was delivered to my home on the date expected, only the delivery men told me that all the parts were not included in the delivery. They called Customer Service and I was told the parts would be shipped to me in 7 to 10 business days. Only after the men carried the washer/dryer into my apartment was I told that these appliances would not work in my apartment - the units run on a 110 voltage and my utility room is set up for a 220 voltage. The delivery men could not take the units back with them - they could only deliver them.

They left, but did not leave any receipts behind when they did. I tried for four hours to call Sears and get someone on the phone that could arrange to have the washer/dryer picked up and do a return for me. After four exhaustive and frustrating hours I was told in no uncertain terms that Sears would not take the items back, I should have been aware of the voltage needs before I bought the merchandise and I was stuck with them. I asked to speak to a manager or someone besides the person on the phone who had the authority to resolve this issue. The Customer Service person would only repeat what she had said before and would not transfer me to anyone else.

I have purchased large appliances from Sears before and have always be happy with the service and the merchandise. All that has changed. Sears doesn't care about its customers. It only cares about selling merchandise and making money. Now I am stuck with a washer/dryer that I cannot use - if that is customer care and customer service, then I am completely out of touch with this new way of doing business.

• Cd
    CDUDLEY Jan 20, 2010

I have come to ezpect this kind of treatment from Sears. I will never shop there or will any of my family and friends shop at Sears due to thier crappy service/customer relations. I was without a fridge for 38 days, lied to numerous times and eventually a replacement fridge was delivered... which I paid over $1400 for and have never received a refund for the 1ST!!! Of course I have spoken with 2 lawyers and they are dying to take the case up.. but who wins then???? Cant say anymore as my Blood Pressure is again climbing up!! My health is more important... NEVER A SEARS SHOPPER AGAIN...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices