K-mart - Watsonville, CA / terrible service

As posted to their customer service department, in a second e-mail that was in response to their "second" non-reply to me.

In a message dated 6/10/2007 6:47:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, help AT customerservice.kmart.com writes:

Please include the following line in all replies.
Tracking number: UT20070610_[protected]

Dear David P. Beavers,

Thank you for contacting Sears Holdings Corporation. We would be glad to assist you with your concern. Please reply with the following information:

Customer Phone Number:

What part of - respond in writing! I do not give out my phone number, nor do i wish to discuss this over the phone - do you not understand? Below is the first e-mail i sent! The one you need to respond in writing to:

June 9, 2007

Watsonville, CA K-Mart
Associate at register failed to ensure all purchased merchandise was placed in elderly couple's cart.

Today my parents, who are elderly, went to K-Mart as they usually do to purchase their prescriptions and other items. The associate who cashiered did inform my mother of a rebate, and that the register receipt had to be sent in to obtain the rebate. However, the associate failed to ensure that all goods my parents purchased were in their cart as they left the store. Upon returning home, my mother filled out the rebate and mailed it off. She was afraid she would forget about it. However, being elderly, they were unaware of items missing as they gradually put away the goods they bought. Later in the evening, they were looking for some of the items they'd purchased and spent hours going through the house and car looking for them. They couldn't find them. I asked if they were sure that the cashier had placed the items in their cart. They were not sure.

I then went to K-Mart to see if their paid for merchandise had been left at the register. That's when I encountered the service manager. I explained to her that NO I didn't have the receipt because it had been mailed off for the rebate. I did list what items my elderly parents recalled purchasing that they couldn't find. Well, apparently K-Mart's policy is to NOT hold onto bags of paid for merchandise for more than an hour. After that time, the items are rather haphazardly logged into a book, primarily by Skew numbers and quantities, then the items are restocked.

A) K-Mart's policy is to restock and resell items that customers ALREADY paid for but were NOT given upon their egress from the store? Isn't that akin to ripping the consumers off?

B) I noticed just HOW MANY items were logged in the book as "forgotten and returned". This is inexcusable. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE AN ASSOCIATE TO SCAN HIS/HER REGISTER BAGGING AREA TO MAKE SURE THAT PEOPLE - ESPECIALLY THE ELDERLY AND DISABLED - HAVE ALL THE ITEMS THEY'VE PAID FOR? Five seconds? Ten seconds? Answer - The sheer volume of products logged in K-Marts forgotten and restocked items book indicates to me, THE CONSUMER, that your Associates are NOT properly trained and that K-Mart ENDORSES such acts, which can be construed as Fraud.

C) The service manager I spoke with started to give me the corporate policy rhetoric, which caused me to become unhinged. Yes, I started YELLING. In my view, K-Mart's "policy" absolutely reeks of ripping off consumers, particularly the elderly or disabled or anyone who has attention or memory problems. I MADE MY VIEW KNOWN TO EVERYONE WITHIN EARSHOT IN THAT STORE. This upset your manager, who started to pull away, saying she was just an employee and didn't have to be subjected to my yelling.

WRONG!!! When a customer YELLS it MEANS THE MANAGER ISN'T SEEKING AN IMMEDIATE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM!

I've been in customer service. I have been yelled at. Logic dictates WHY this emotional response occurs.

Spewing corporate policy at me IS NOT SEEKING AN IMMEDIATE SOLUTION.

Yes, I apologized to her for shrieking. I also HAD TO INFORM HER THAT the sale was LOGGED in K-Mart's register tapes.

After much time, the issue got resolved. We found the items logged that my parents did not receive in their cart when they finished their purchases.

Because the descriptions were relegated to Skew numbers AND SINCE THERE IS NO IMMEDIATE ACCESS AT THE SERVICE DESK TO INVENTORY CONTROL TO ASSOCIATE SKEW NUMBERS WITH SPECIFIC ITEMS FOR CROSS REFERENCE, it took over an hour to re-pick everything.

BOTTOM LINE:

1. Your associate cashiers NEED to take the extra 5 to 10 seconds to scan their service area to MAKE SURE that K-Mart customers receive ALL the items they purchase.

2. Only holding bagged items left behind for an hour at the Service Desk then restocking them is simply BAD POLICY. There IS room to hold the bagged goods.

3. In the event that the associate cashier FAILS to give the consumer his/her purchased goods, then the associate cashier should immediately check to see if the customer paid by cheque or credit card. If the consumer PAID by one of those means, then there IS a name attached to the sale, WHICH CAN BE LOGGED onto the bag, or in the book. Granted, this would not work with cash transactions, but would with cheque or credit card purchases.

David P. Beavers
Freedom, CA

Comments

• Sc
      10th of May, 2009

your crazy! it's people like you that make retail a horrible job. your parents FORGOT their own merchandise, its not like the cashier hid it from them. Its not a grocery store everything isnt loaded in peoples cart by a bagger. (usually the cashiers are nice enough how ever to put the heavy items in the cart for elderly or disabled people.

• Ge
      6th of Aug, 2010

you are a DOUUUUCHE!!! youre [censor]in senile parents forgot their bags. yes the cashier should of course attempt to return all payed for merchandise back, but its a common mistake. Anyone could walk in to a store and say "oh yeah, my (insert family member here) payed for this this and this. and somehow never got it back. i need it back. and i also dont have a recipt" They need the recipt to verify the items were bought. and after an hour if no one comes back to claim them, they put them back, and intend on giving you back the items, once a recipt is given back to them. And who the [censor] are you to yell at a manager for your parents forgetting a few bags? its [censor]s like you that give employees pits in their stomachs just thinking about going back to work the next day.

• Me
      19th of Feb, 2011

The 2 people who responded to the comment would probably feel differently if it had happened to their parents. Both comments are rude, elderly people need a little extra help and if Kmart employees especially managers can't recognize that then must have failed management 101---I have never had a good experience with Kmart personnel, so I have learned not to ask them anything to avoid frustration. I think the two people who commented should read their comments again see how it makes them look as human beings and then stop and think if it was their loved ones who were treated like that by Kmart...how would they feel. If you still feel the way your comment reads, perhaps you should seek some kind of counseling. I have been in Customer Service Management for several years, in most cases employees who treat customers in that fashion are usually terminated.

• De
      18th of Apr, 2011

EVERY cashier forgets a bag once in a great while, even the best of them. It happens, they're human. And I'm sorry, but you sound like...a bit of an [censor]. Yelling like that was entirely unnaccepetable, and I would have had you removed from the premises. So everyone in the store heard you yelling? Wow, are you proud of that? You do realize what everyone was thinking about you? You need to grow up.

• Ad
      18th of Apr, 2011

It's ok. I infiltrated the kmart and pooped on the toilet seat. revenge has been taken.

I love you david beavers. beavers... beavers

beavers