[Resolved] Just Answer / £20 taken from my credit card without my consent

MYJABILL.COM, CA, United States Review updated:

On 4th february 2017, using google, I went into justanswer.com. I asked a question "as an administrator, could I share my vodafone pay as you go mobile broadband with another userid area on my computer. The other area is called guest and does not have a password. I had tried various things and thought that if there was a way of allocating a password to the guest area without deleting the area then I could get the mobile broadband to work". I asked the question if they could tell me how to create a password on the guest area.

The answer I was given was from bill, whose online handle was cyberwerx and claimed to be an it solutions architect with 35+ years corporate experience designing and deploying wintel pcs, servers, clusters and sans.

The answer given did not change anything and I was in the same situation as when I started. They were going to charge me & pound;10 at this point but I never pressed the accept button. I was encouraged to give further details as to what had happened but the reply form did not work. I could not click the reply button. There was an accept button on the screen but I did not press it.
I then asked a question again on the home screen to give me further information as I did not have the same screen setup as he had and could not enter in the same details. His answer was not possible for me. The charge now came up as & pound;20 but I still did not press the accept button. At this point I gave up and left the site.
I find today that & pound;20 was taken out of my credit card account on 5th february to justanswer *experts myjabill.com ca
This is without my knowledge and without my acceptance.

• Resolution statement

• JustAnswer Customer Care's Response, Sep 21, 2010

Dear Valerie,

I’m very sorry to hear about your experience. I’m Adam and I work for JA. I have sent you a private message so I can take care of your refund immediately.

You may reach us anytime through the Contact Us link on our Help page. Our Customer Support team is available 24/7 to help.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do. We’re here to help and we’ll work with you until you’re satisfied.

- Adam

• JustAnswer Customer Care's Response, Oct 26, 2010

Dear Arwen,

- Adam

Ga

Comments

• Pa
      15th of Jul, 2009
    Just Answer - money taken from account
    just answer
    Massachusetts
    justanswer.com

I asked for some help with a situation with my son, grandson, his birth mother and such.
    I am my grandsons foster mother, was trying to find a way to keep my son from coming near us without wasting my time with a stay away order.

I gave all the info I had.

There was no answer for me, things I already knew.

I went to DCF and they made things happen for the safety of my grandson, me and my minor child.

Justy answer took money out of my acct, without even helping me.
    The agreement was if I got an answer that was useful they would charge me. There was nothing I could use.
    They took the money before the man answered.

They broke the agreement and didn't help me.

I"VE CONTACTED THEM AND THEY STILL WON'T PUT THE MONEY BACK.

I'm going through my bank to straighten this out. They should not of taken the money without my permission.
    Permission would have came if they answered with a answer. Instead I got info couldn't use.

• Uk
      25th of Sep, 2009

The same has happened to me. I thought answer I received was an absolute rip-off and regused to press the 'Accept' button to make payment. Just looked at my statement and it is has been taken out anyway. Will complain until I receive my money back.

• Ri
      22nd of Oct, 2009

My brothers psychotic ex disapeared with his 3 week old baby and all their belongings while he was at work. She was a runnaway as a teen and several times while they were dating. She has since been seen wondering the streets at 2 am with the baby and dropped the baby 2xs on it head. Once on concreate. She screamed at her grandfather when he tried to call 911. Her family and ours have all made several complaints with DCF and they all have been brushed off. They said she has a roof, 4 walls, running water, and electric so there is no harm. Though, the house has a convicted fellon living in it, drug atticks and she is having sex with guys infront of the newborn! His attorney was the one who said go to DCF first, what help! He is now working on getting an emergency injunction since she is planning on running to Texas tomorrow with the baby and new boyfriend. He is also suing the state and DCF. I am looking for more stories like this to give his attorney and him. The baby is less than 2 months now.

• Ha
      23rd of Nov, 2009
    Just Answer - no deposit refund
    Spain

I asked just answer for some help in locating a manual for a washing machine purchased in Spain with only a Spanish Manual. They charged me a deposit for an Expert answer; I never received an answer from them or my money back. They claimed to even have contacted Daewoo the manufacturers for the Washing Machine with no success; Guess what I contacted Daewoo and got an answer and the manual.

• Wm
      18th of Aug, 2010
    Just Answer - doubled billed
    none
    326 Sitton Rd. 29642
    EasleySC
    South Carolina
    Phone: 864 855 7179

I requested from just answer a referral of a Mechanic or a Auto shop that had a mechanic
    that was good on working on a mazda Rotary Engine, I never received a positive reply, just some advice on how to do a tune up on this engine, That is not what I requested. But I was doubled billed for a non requested answer, once in May and once in June. HOw can I get my payment returned.
    William Pierce

• Va
      21st of Sep, 2010
    Just Answer - I want to cancel
    just answer
    Oregon

I canceled this service after my one question. I will not use it often enough to pay each month you were very polite said it was done and I would get no more charges. I told you if I needed help again I would deffinately use your service again but I just found out you have been taking a $24.00 charge. Please stop and refund my money. I tried to go on my old account and reach you but there was no way????
    Respectfully
    Valerie Sunderland

• Ar
      25th of Oct, 2010
    Just Answer - scam!
    justanswer.com

This website claims to have "experts" who will answer your questions for $20-$50. I paid $38 for someone to give me bad advice, someone who turned out to be completely wrong and was clearly not an expert at anything.

After realizing that I had been fed ridiculous information, I attempted to get the refund of my money that was promised all over the website, saying "100% money back satisfaction guarantee!" I have contacted them three separate times for a refund and they have not even responded to me, let alone returned my money.

This website is an absolute scam and should be avoided at all costs!

• El
      17th of Feb, 2011
    Just Answer - no answer

Asked a mental health question on Just Answer and after a frustrating 2 1/2 hr wait decided to request a refund as I still hadn't received any reply. Am concerned this company has my credit card details and unsure how to stop them from defrauding it with additional charges I didn't authorise.

• Tr
      16th of Mar, 2011
    Just Answer - not experts
    803 barwick
    Phone: 5735872020
    justanswer.com

Bait and switch site. Show you your "experts" but these are not the people who answer your question. We asked a specific question about a commercial truck engine, particular make and model. The "experts" we were shown were mechanics for the company that makes this engine. But the guy who answered our question was not a truck mechanic. AND HIS ANWERS WERE JUST COPIED FROM THE INTERNET!!! Save your time and money. You make a deposit and pay the sham "expert" after you get an answer. They say you can get your money back from the deposit, but there is no recourse to do so. The only other thing to do if you don't like your answer is to use your deposit money, money you have already paid them, for a different question from yet another so called expert who sits in a recliner and surfs the internet for answers. Also was told we would have an answer within 2 hour time frame (1 hour and 42 minutes to be exact...), did not get our copied internet replies until the next day. Will plrobably have to change my credit card number so these crooks don't go shopping. Will file with Better Business Bureau as bait and switch.
    We

• Li
      26th of Mar, 2011

oh god i just given my credit card details to just answer, then accidently bumped into this web site...now i'm really scared, becos they are going to take 33.00 from me which i can ill afford, i have asked for a refund, i've pasted and copied everything they have sent me and also deleted my account...i really hope it all works, but i'm not going to hold my breath. i'm totally distort about this. This is a great site wish i'd seen it first...lol

12th of Apr, 2011
    Just Answer - service paid for but not received
    [protected]@optusnet.com.au
    Perth
    Western Australia
    Australia

I have some old (1992-1994) Word for Windows files which I put passwords on. (I know the passwords). I now operate Windows 7, with Office 2017 and it will not recover these files. I asked how may I recover them. I was told to deposit $US30, which would be refunded in full if an answer was not forthcoming within one month. That was last January, 2017. Now it is April, 2017. I have had no answer to my problem and no refund has been offered. I fear I have been scammed.

26th of Jun, 2011
    Just Answer - urgent psychiatric assistance
    Private
    Victoria
    Australia
    Phone: 0413133581

Now suicidal!!! have put a detail urgent request through for help all they want is my money of which I have none of. Also this is an American site of which they will have no idea of what I'm talking about, since the American system is quite different to here. Oh yes they want to help but I have to pay first!!! I still can't shut their web page down until I shut my computer down.
    I don't need this ### I need professional help now, as this is really serious...
    Is there any humanity out there any more or is the evil $$$ the only thing people are after when some one is really venerable????
    Stop these scams & time wasting when lives are at risk
    Jasper

• Su
      30th of Jun, 2011
    Just Answer - unauthorised charges
    San Francisco
    California

I asked a question regarding a problem with my TV, for which I received a helpful answer, and so i was happy to pay the approx AU$ 22 fee. I am not happy to keep paying that fee every month however, even though I only used the service on one occasion last December. I contacted JustAnswer by email and phone (from Australia to San Francisco, so not a local call charge involved there) to let them know that an amount of approx $20 - $22 was being deducted from my credit card every month without authorisation and initially received a response that encouraged me to believe this was an honest mistake that would be rectified, and I would be refunded the excess charges, and teh monthly deductions would be stopped. Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be the case as the deductions have continued, there has been no refund of the excess charges (now in the vicinity of AU$ 120), and there has been no response to my numerous recent emails asking for an update on a solution to this problem. Like many others, I've discovered this appears not to be a reputable business, but a scam. My only option now is to cancel my current credit card, which is a pain because I'll also have to re-organise numerous legitimate monthly deductions from that account. I'm not impressed!!!

• P4
      19th of Dec, 2011
    Just Answer - save your personal data
    Just Answer

A little while ago, a charge showed up on my account from this company Just Answer. I don’t know who they are or how on earth they got my credit card number. I never authorized this. It was only a $15 charge, but they could keep charging me for who knows what and if they do these charges could really start adding up. I may have to cancel my credit card.

I once did a “Just Ask” thing for my dog, but for that I used a completely different credit card. That charge was also $15 dollars, but I did authorize this payment and it was paid months ago.

I thought maybe that this “Just Answer” could be related to the “Just Ask” company I used, but that still doesn’t explain how they got my credit card number and charged that account. So far they’ve only billed me once, but if they did it once without my permission I am sure they will do it again.

Has anyone else been scammed like this or charged without their permission by this “Just Answer” company? Does anyone know who they are? I am worried on how they got my credit card number and what other information they could get from me.

• Sh
      30th of Apr, 2012
    Just Answer - money from my account
    camino vista
    denbigh
    Wales, Clwyd
    United Kingdom

I only asked them one question. Thought it was just a one of payment but they have taken over £40out of my account each month. stupid of me to give my details. Have tried to contact them but very difficult. Funny my question to them was unauthorised funds being taken from my accout. Just as they are doing. "Should be ashamed of themselves" In total over £100 taken out of my account.

• Bl
      16th of Jun, 2012
    Just Answer - just answer is getting bad
    Just answer

just answer I love all my experts but the company itself is no good. I spend a lot of money on this site thewy took away my option to write about my experts. just gave us faces. That dosen't tell the whole story because you can be happy with a answer but still not happy with the expect also they remove my add fund if i want to pay additional money I really can't I don't like to keep making single transactions. so the expects i have are great. but the company just answer it self is no good. give me freedom. also the pictures of happy customers are fake i ran them through tin eye. Why don't they use the real customers that are happy with the service.

8th of Jul, 2012

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I made one query and recently (yes, I should have checked!) found that they had been taking money on a regular basis out of my account without ANY authorisation. It amounts to nearly £1, 000 which I can I'll afford as I am a pensioner. I went to my bank and they immediately stopped the payment. They are re-imbursing me for some of the payments. Now I intend to chase this company for my money. Can anyone help me with the correct procedure?

• Pe
      14th of Apr, 2013

I used Justanswer to attempt to solve an internet problem. They failed to do so but charged me anyway. Now they are charging my credit card monthly for a "membership" and they quote 1800679634CA AUD5600 as a membership number. I have contacted my CC to cancel the payments. How do I stop them from continuing to hit my CC??

• Co
      20th of Dec, 2013

JustAnswer.com is also Pearl.com, Eanswer.com, Answernest.com, and many more, new every day.
    They charge to show people archived answers that past experts left, The expert quality has really gone down, this is directly due to the ease of manipulating others ratings and stat padding their own ratings with a few fake accounts that are on a subscription so unlimited ability to ask yourself some really dumb question and rate yourself excellent, it is really obvious and ZERO is done about it.There are alleged home inspectors who apparently inspect at min 1 home per day and have to ask how old a heater is 500 times a year and rate it excellent, never knowing nor learning that the serial # tells you usually and online home inspection forums have this ability for free.
    It matters not the plausibility of the questioning from customers, how outlandish the scenario sounds making no sense unless the 3 stooges were alive and well, see below, I was complimented by a customer who did not choose Billys answer, if customers do not accept we are encouraged to answer unaccepted questions, this of course in hindsight was suicide, as the embedded sub par trolls like Billy the HVAC mentor, who could never have actually performed an HVAC technician job as evidenced by the answers he gives, and he is not the exception he is the HVAC mentor, it is his authority to negative peer review and he only does to harm experts who threaten him by being god andf getting many accepted answers, Billy gets an amazingly high level of accepts while giving terible advice even burning up a motor many times A customer has no idea if it was correct.
    I was warned about Billy's tactics of baiting new eager experts by posting high value $30+ questions and becoming obtuse and irrational tying to make the expert sem sub par when what he is doing is just rude and unwarranted
    The customer in the 505pm question worth $30 is a strange case as his pic was in the post and I saw this and knew he had to be an expert, he was made this day! evidencing an inside job as the ability to post you pic begins your 1st day as an expert for JustAnswer.com! And this customer / expert has to this day never answered a question as an expert! and his 1st day was being obtuse to a good expert while praising the sub par, himself.
    I saw a TOYOTOMI stove question postd at 505pm worth $30, I waited as I heard about the baiting and amazingly despite 9 experts being online NOBODY jumped on the $30 question, highly abnormal! I sat back and waited ad nobody?? weird, how could 9 experts know 1 was baiting? I waited knowing a TOYOTOMI unit was an oddball rarely seen so maybe nobody wanted it?I watched and at 540 pm an identical TOYOTOMI question is asked only valued at $9 and guess who swooped on it and was done in 6 minutes? Billy! I still waited knowing this was too weird, why did Billy avoid the $30 one and jump on a $9 one?
    He continued to avoid the $30 question afterwards as well! this makes no sense identical questions and why?

I waited and finally at 630pm I think if I am met with asn obtuse jerk who for no reason rates me badly and Bily then swoops in and rates himself excllent it will be too obvious and a JA mod agreed, well I bit this bait and JA said we see nothingBWAAAAAAA

Look at this below!

EXPERT, Alumilte/Phil posted this on the JA expert forum,
    Peer review was a good idea, but some experts were colluding with others to eliminate the competition that way... on none to very thin pretexts.
    e warned me BillyJr(the HVAC mentor) had fake accounts
    (Greg Kelsey, robhvac, JACUSTOMER FWEORBZG),
    he used to post high value questions & lure/bait competent new experts into a trap, so he may rate the new expert badly, I tried contacting Greg Kelsey's business on the web and found it is a fake front!
    Posted 5pm, Billy ignored for 2+ hours, responding only after I knowingly bit the baited question.
    ...
    Posted 540pm, Billy1961 answered In 6 mins AND MYSTERIOUSLY continued ignoring the $30 question...
    WONDER WHY?
    ...

JACUSTOMER FWEORBZG FROM THE 5PM $30 TOYOTOMI QUESTION IS A FAKE/SHILL,

HIS ACCOUNT STATUS IS BOTH EXPERT(made this day) AND CUSTOMER,
    YET HAS NEVER POSTED IN THE CAPACITY AS AN EXPERT TO THIS DAY! MONTHS LATER!!

BELOW IS BILLYJR IN ONE OF HIS STAT PADDING QUESTIONS TO GREG KELSEY, (HIMSELF), SAYING A TOYOTOMI WAS "INTERESTING"
    HE THEN TRYS USING THE TOYOTOMI "INTERSTING" TRAITS TO RATE ABUSIVELY, INSISTING ON CLEANING A SELF CLEANING COMPONENT!

00900. Any idea of ages? Thanks, Greg
    Submitted by:Greg Kelsey 223 days and 12 hours ago.
    Category: HVAC
    Status: CLOSED
    Accepted Answer
    The SlantFfin boiler is the 9th week of 2017
    The Toyostove is also 2017
    The Toyotomi is a 1991

Billy
    You find all the interesting stuff...

HERE BILLY1961 PREVIOUSLY TELLS GREG KELSEY,
    A TOYOTOMI IS "INTERESTING" STUFF...LOL!
    THIS IS ABOUT THE 800TH TIME BILLY HAS BEEN ASKED HOW OLD A UNIT IS BY GREG KELSEY.

• Co
      20th of Dec, 2013

With the sub par experts culling the better experts via dirty tricks, the expertise level plummets to where this is what you see being charged for by experts who clearly have less than an apprentice level knowledge of HVAC and no common sense as this really does not require one to be an expert just not be a ###!

ALLEGED EXPERT THINKS GROUND SOURCE HEAT PUMPS REQUIRE DEFROSTING
    THEY HAVE A WATER COOLED COIL! bwaaa
    THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS EVEN IF YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HVAC!

Air source heat pumps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_source_heat_pumps?
    Ground source heat pumps have fewer moving parts than air source heat pumps as they do not need fans or defrosting mechanisms.

11th of Aug, 2015
    Just Answer - money debited from my account but no information received
    Christine Barlow
    Brassall Qld Australia
    Phone: 07 32018936

I emailed Just Answer for help with a Legal enquiry. I was not able to access any answers sent to me due to problems with their computer system. I emailed their Technical department and after follow all of their instructions I was still not able to gain access to information.

On the 28/7/2017 my bank account was debited $78.28. My account was then debited with the amount of $97.85 on the 4/8/2017.

I request that the monies be refunded as I never received any of the requested information.

What a waste of money for NO information.

O/N 1548813 - 610.