Jetblue / cancellation policy

1 Hartford, CT, United States

I recently booked a flight on Jetblue from Hartford, CT to Orlando, Fl. The day of the flight was beautiful and as we drove about 1 1/2 hours to Hartford from our home we expected no problems with our flight. However, when we arrived at the airport we were told that the flight was cancelled due to maintenance issues. When we asked why we were not notified we were told "some people got the email, some people didn't." We also were told that they knew about the problem since 8:00 AM (our flight was at 3:00 pm). We also were told that we were booked on a flight for the same time the NEXT DAY. Since our vacation was already short (Wed-Sun), losing a day was not an option. There were no other flights out of Hartford, but there were some out of JFK and LGA, which WOULD have been options had we been notified while at home. Instead, we decided to not get back in the car for a 3 hour trip to NYC and instead purchased tickets on Southwest which had a flight departing 3 hours later. Although Jetblue refunded our fare - this new flight cost us $1400 MORE than our original flight. If we wanted a vacation our choices were none other than to take the Southwest deal. The Jetblue counter agents were very unhelpful, and calling 1800 jetblue was no help either. Upon our return I sent a complaint via the website also got us nowhere. If our flight had been DELAYED (according to their bill of rights) we'd be entitled to twice the price of our one way fare. But since our flight was cancelled we were entitled to nothing. Huh?? As a gesture of goodwill we were offered $50 per person for future travel. Unless it is on another airline, I think I'll skip it...