iPAGE.com

Posted:

Scam

4.7
iPAGE.com
I signed up with iPAGE and paid them a total of US$126.76 on 29 March 2010 after reading on their intro page that they are affordable, dont tie customers up and most importantly "if unhappy in whatever way, 30 Days moneyback guarantee, 100% refund if cancel within 30 days+ easy to build free website builder tools

However, after 10 torturing hours and I still cant understand how to use their tools to build a website, I decided to cancel my a/c and hire a local web company instead to do everything for me.

The chatline operator told me that there will be a non refundable of US$15 and the rest will be refunded to me.

But when i look at my latest credit card statement i m shocked to receive a bbill of US$99.79.

iPAGE has charged $126.76 on 29mar and only refund me USD27 on 31 Mar!

I then contacted the billing dept who insist that they only refund hosting fees, add on services are non refundable!!

The guy also keep stressing on their "its all under our Terms and Conditions"

I felt really cheated and shortchanged. Because on their main website they do not have a column of terms n condions nor do they made it clear that theres no refund other than hosting charges.

For a IT idiot like me, I just follow their sign on procedure which auto includes all these so call add on services into my cart, i dont even have aoption to opt out as it will have red markings to warn me of the 'consequences'. Moreover all the services are calculated on a 12months basis, not one month or 3months.

I also wont get to use any of the services after my cancelling the a/c so how can iPAGE be so unreasonable and greedy to rip an innocent consumer off this way??

I feel this is outright robbing in a legal way.

Please, if anyone concern can help or advise me where to seek redress or complaint against iPAGE so that this Co cannot cheat other consumers any more hard earn money$$ and to refund me the full amount as promised on their website.
Complaint comments Comments (44)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services

Comments

A  16th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
I made an account about few weeks ago, because they stated on their website that they have real awesome website building tools. I had to pay about $50 to $60. (<- That was one of the Cheapest options)
But when I tried using their website building tools, I was utterly, utterly disappointed. Their templates/designs are very out of fashion and very limited. very crappy. They were just horrible. And it requires you to pay double the amount if you want to have more template/design options. wtf..
So The very next day, I requested for refund. The assistants were quite rude on the chat box.
I was expecting a full refund without a doubt because it says "Money Back Any Time Guaranteed" on the page of registration. But then the assistant says oh you gotta pay $15 for cancellation fee.. I was like really? i registered just the day before. But I agreed to pay. and you know what? they only paid me $20 back. They stole my money.. I got about 65% of the original payment stolen. basically.
A  31st of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
Save your money! Unless you want to deal with the headache of never knowing what iPage decides to charge to your acccount "on file", then stay away. I went on my bank account today and saw they charged my account almost $200, after I already renewed a few days ago. When I called they said they charged for "additional add ons" that I never selected. I also never selected for my account to be auto renewed. I had the screen up in front of me showing that the "auto renew" option was unchecked, and the lady continued to tell me that they had it on their end showing as "auto renew". I also never gave permission for them to keep my credit card information on file, which they took it upon themselves to charge. The billing person was very unhelpful and said she couldn't even verify what they charged me, but said they would refund me for the services they cancel. She said I wouldn't know the full refund amount until I get an email confirmation stating what I would be refunded. What sense does that make? This place really needs to have a class action suit against for all the money it's cheating people out of as a web hosting service. I will absolutely look into pursuing this.
N  18th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
70$ then 50$ were stolen from my bank account after registering a domain with Netfirms! And it was used under a weird name "mtc touch beirut lbn".
BEWARE!
A  17th of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
I have been with I page since 2010 and haven't had the best service from them. The templates they offer are really bad and don't fit the screen right after being published. They have renewed add-on's that I canceled by calling in to the reps. After canceling what I requested be canceled, I find out that not all add-ons were canceled and they continued to charge my credit card. I have been waiting for a answer now for 3 weeks as to whether or not they are going to reimburse me for the money they stole from me. At this point if I do not get a free year out of this I will definitely cancel any further business with I-Page. They are out right stealing my money. I would not recommend them to anyone.
A  18th of Sep, 2011 by    +1 Votes
They actually are violating consumer protection laws by presetting payment accounts to "automatic payments". According to the Consumer Protection Code, they are required to get written or oral consent from someone in order to charge funds. Then they illegally use one's prior information, even if one had set one's payments to a one-time payment, and charge a person's bank/paypall account for "renewal". This is technically identity theft.

Both are very illegal acts. *Not to mention* that the contract one signs *DOES NOT* give them the right to automatically bill the customer. And yet, strangely enough, it *does* require the customer to 'waive one's rights to a juried trial'.

After illegally billing one for services - technically, under US law, one should not be required to pay and yet keep the services as a gift on the part of the giver - the company *then* charges 'cancellation fees' for a service one did not want in the first place. While the site claims the cancellation fees are 15$, there are also a number of other fees which they tack onto the cancellation fee.

Solution for those scr3wed by Ipage: READ THE CONTRACT. Then, argue with the customer service for a few hours when you're sitting down to watch a good movie and/or have the time. Point out to them that you did not give them written consent for their services, nor are you obligated to pay and that they illegally used your private information. Note: this only works for renewal fees. I'm not sure about the legality of extra charges for the add-on tools (yet). Finally, call/complain to the FTC for illegal use of sensitive information (identity theft) and violation of customer rights (Consumer protection laws).

Best solution: Never use Ipage.
N  5th of Jan, 2012 by    -1 Votes
These are some very lame complaints to be honest lol. They seem to boil down to "They say it's $3.95 a month but that's only if you pay for an entire year! They say their website building tools are easy but I couldn't figure out how to use them! I cancelled my account and they said there would be a $15 cancellation fee! And they have automatic billing!! What a scam!"

For anyone considering any website hosting company, the biggest things to consider are:

1) Whether or not their site is always up--nothing worse than going to your website and finding out the servers are YET AGAIN down.
2) Whether or not their control panel/ftp is intuitive and easy to use.
3) Whether or not you can get a hold of someone in customer service within a reasonable time.
4) Whether or not the behind-the-scenes administrative stuff gives you a lot of options to work with to maximize your site's success.

I'm about to check out iPage for possibly hosting my site. I decided to check first and see if there were a lot of complaints about the things that truly matter (I'm not even slightly going to use their site building tools, don't need to). Right now I've been to two different "complaint" sites and the overwhelming complaint on both boards has been about that non-refundable $15 fee when cancelling within 30 days lol.
A  6th of Jan, 2012 by    +1 Votes
They do have to cover the bills for the outsourced boardscanners, so stealing becomes an option. Though, you know, they're making a profit on that, too. SiteGuy, you're not very good at this job.
A  3rd of Mar, 2012 by    +2 Votes
iPage.com is a total ###ing scam. they claim to have refunded me $154 but havent refunded a penny. Only an hour after getting a membership, I started to notice all of the "free benefits" were actually trials, really old and useless software. The customer service is not all that great either. Ive been communicating with them for the past 24 hours and theyve just given the run around, passing me off to other "specialists" and never giving me straight answers. And STILL I havent gotten my refund! Ripoff.
A  7th of Mar, 2012 by    +1 Votes
I tried hosting with iPage, The tech support was insultingly bad and when I tried to cancel because I was sick of dealing with all the glitches and bad service they refused to honor their 100% money back guarantee.

Out of what I paid for their service I was refunded less than $9 of the total amount and I’m still fighting to get the rest.

If they were once a good hosting service I don't think they are anymore. Not recommended.
A  19th of Mar, 2012 by    0 Votes
File a complaint with consumer affairs by you or the better business bureau in IPages location:
Ipage.com
70 Blanchard Road
Burlington, MA 01803

This is what I am working on today. I'm postal mailing 1 complaint out and 1 was sent by email to the BBB today. The IPage ad clearly states refund anytime. The Facebook and AdWords are expired so they are a useless scam. I attempted to use them within 2 weeks. I called for a refund today and was told no refund my 30 days is past. IPanels refund policy isn't clear. Today an iPage link for refund policy led me to a blank area.
A  5th of Dec, 2012 by    +1 Votes
I had four websites with them. Each time I made sure the auto -renew was not clicked yet somehow they managed to pull monies out. Every time they did this, I would cancel my account and get them to refund my money.
December 5, 2012 once again they pulled out money and it made my account go into the negative and accrue $120 in overage fees. What was there initial response? Well it will be 48 hours to refund money and then they will send a letter to my bank asking them to refund the overage fees, but I would have to get all the information for them and then call them back.
This time around I have video showing me cancelling the auto-cancel and even my audio talking to them about my one account they did this two two or three months ago. Plus screen shots.
I am sending it to the BBB and NYS Attorney General.
They did, as I was typing this, say they would refund the amount, the original 108 bucks today within 30 minutes and not 48 hours.
I am still putting the package together to send.
They have repeatedly stole money from my accounts. They only return it when you complain.
Timothy Ferraioli
N  18th of Apr, 2013 by    +2 Votes
Asshoooooooooooooooooooooooles Mother###ers They keep putting my renewal option to Automatic + They charge extraordinarry fees that i never opted for and when you speak to them they want to charge you more for some reason.
A  13th of Mar, 2014 by    0 Votes
IT IS A ###ING SCAM! DONT EVEN BUY IT!

1. IT IS ###ING SLOW WITH LOUSY CONNECTIONS! YOUR AUDIENCE OR CLIENTS WILL HATE YOU FOR SURE

2. THEY PLANTED ###ING MALWARES INTO MY CODES, AND SUGGESTED A ###ING STUPID MALWARE REMOVAL SERVICES TO ME. IT IS LIKE ANTI VIRUS COMPANY CREATINT VIRUSES THEMSELVES!

ALL IN ALL, THIS IS A ### COMPANY, DO NOT USE IT AND CHANGE TO OTHER HOST WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT!
N  21st of Mar, 2015 by    0 Votes
Do NOT sign up with iPage. Do NOT! BUT, if you have already signed up with them, open a "ticket" with them and tell them in no uncertain terms to cancel everything, and to never charge you again for anything, ever. Tell them to turn off all recurring charges AND never charge you for anything, now and forever. Take screen shots of these messages for proof. Now, cancel your credit card and make sure you do not get another credit card with the same number, and tell your credit card company to reject all charges associated with iPage, ipage.com, and its affiliates. Take screen shots of all of these messages and save them. If you do not cancel your credit card, then iPage will charge you for years in the future. No matter what you say to them, they will still be charging you in the future - guaranteed. I am talking from first-hand experience.
A  12th of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
iPAGE is a scam and now they even use promotion emails to steel your identity and credit card information. I did not have any site with them or any site building tools but I have been receiving emails with attachments which (my mistake) I have opened. And guess what? I am seeing charge from iPAGE bill for over 223 EUR!!! Thanks good that AMEX card from Belgium has actually refund money after I have reported scam and changed my card. It is shocking that after thousands of frauds reported on this company they are still operating.
We must put web site just next to their official site with clear: Be ware of iPAGE scam,
N  27th of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
I hosted with iPage for one year and then they hit you with the renewal fee from around $10 to $144. I was not happy with the price rise and canceled my plan BUT the charged me any way. After spending some time talking to them I got a refund for the $144 hosting free but they charged me $16.99 domain renewal fee. Why they would renew something i had canceled? So I asked and they said it was not refundable. No i am nervous as I have read they keep trying to renew every year, years after you leave them. There must be a way to stop this if not you and i can set up a site charging for cheep domain name renewals take the money and run as there is not way stop it. Or is there a governing body? or who can you complain to or is it just a free for all scammers paradise?
A  4th of Nov, 2015 by    0 Votes
Ipage is the biggest scam artist on the web. I signed up for the introductory rate for 3 years of web hosting. After one year I was charged a certain amount for the "domain" name, I thought it was for 3 years? I called and customer support did nothing for me, the best part is, I didnt check my credit card bill this whole time, so now my credit is ruined. Thank you Ipage for biling me and ruining my credit!
N  7th of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
Today (01/07/16) I happened to find that iPage had stolen three times over two days period out of my bank account in total of $189.38. None of these were authorized. None consented. Tomorrow I am contacting the corporate office. Apparently they kept my bank account number without my knowledge. I have no trust on iPage billing department personnel.
N  30th of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
RENEWAL SCAM !!
Account canceled in 2013
Funds withdrew in 2014, refunded after a seriously insane fight
Then, out of the blue, this 2016 bill!
2015USD for basic plan when actually the website is off since 2013!!!
Had to go back on their website, start a process of new logging, new password, and to dance with all kind -typical scam- jungle links, screens and warnings.
Notice that i will again have to deal with them in 2017 or 2018!
Trust me folk, stay away from these guys!
I have made 5 screen shots to prove it!

N  30th of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes