Complaints & Reviews

Dishonest Practices Leaning Toward Fraud

If you are still seriously considering signing up for iPage.com, here's an article that gives a very thorough explanation as to why you might want to give it some additional thought.

• Bl
    bleagles Nov 09, 2011

I totally agree. I signed up with them for less than a month. They added a dozen charges and racked credit card charges to over $300.00 before I caught it. I canceled and they only removed a portion of the charges. The advertising was totally inconsistent with reality and I soon realized that there was no way I could use them as a server for an online store. I told them they were fraudulent and doing a credit card scam and should be reported as such. They issued a support ticket for my complaints. Big deal. I would like to get my money back and completely write them off.

• Bl
    bleagles Nov 09, 2011

iPage uses false advertising in multiple areas. This convoluted advertising and multiple add ons gives them opportunity to add/sneak charges onto a credit card. Just the name itself giving the impression they are part of Mac is totally false. The Internet has multiple sites describing them as wonderful, but this is their own advertising. The only positive I can say is that I realized the scam within a short period of time and bailed. The best advice - do not give them your credit card number. They were appalling to deal with and should be listed as a fraudulent credit card scam

• Gi
    Ginger Thacker Jul 07, 2012

This company is a scam artist located in India! They have charged me for two years service and I've never been able to login! They say they don't give refunds yet there is a "money-back" guarantee on their advertising! They told me to log in and change my payment plan so I won't be charged again, but since I can't log in that is not possible! Sound like a scam to you? Do your homework before you get scammed too!

• Aj
    AJ_got_duped Sep 04, 2012

52 service issue requests 72 days and counting. Downed servers, email server redirects without notification, bandwidth limitations on a website addition that simply contained a rotating picture module. AND OF COURSE THE GRAND DADDY OF ALL LIES. An ipage.com staff member told me flat out, I was not allowed to have more than 10 people viewing my site at the same time, if I wanted more I would need to upgrade to a dedicated server. NOTE**** In order to move an initial domain from 1 web host to another, you must wait at least 60 days. I approached the 58th day of service and a tech support "accidentally" took my mentioning a refund for a portion of my service for a request to cancel and deleted my website, thus prompting them to reinstate the account (another 3 day wait and over 475 minutes on the phone with them) and start the 60 day process all over again. My compensation was an upgrqade to premium tech support which does me nothing as we are now in the SEO and promoational part of the web startup. File a complaint with the BBB and continue to post your nightmares

• So
    Solargen Oct 20, 2017

I agree- They are Dishonest unprofessional, unqualified liars.
    They were RUINING my site for 13 days SINCE i JOINED THEM. I was working on building WP and every day I was coming back to ABSOLUTELY BLANK PAGE, BECAUSE THEY DID ADJUSTMENTS WITHOUT MY REQUEST OR AUTHORIZATION.
    DO NOT TRUST THEM!!!

Fraudulent Misleading/Advertising

My experience with iPage.com leads me to believe that it is shady at best and fraudulent at worst.
They say the offer a free trial, but they really don't. There are other charges they add in and they charge you a cancellation fee when you do try to cancel within the first month.
They tack on fees for many of their services, so be careful what you use.
They add their second year in your account and are poised to charge you for it. You cannot access cancelling this.
They hide their full account charges from you and you stumble across them if you browse your account; site thoroughly enough and if/when they let you know them, which seems to be when you want to cancel.
They update their fees on their site information but don't necessarily send you a notice about it.
Some of the services they offer for free are actually just links to sites who do offer them for free.
While using their site, I found it sluggish, hanging up, crashing, etc. when trying to learn to use their tools.
I've used computers for twenty years and created simple web pages for several years and found their resources too time consuming to be worth using at all. Constant hanging up/waiting for updated pages.
Since they say their current tools are beta, it doesn't seem cost efficient to test their tools, be charged fees while doing this, and then have them change the way they work or find them totally useless to begin with.
Of all the web sites that I have chosen to give a chance, this is by far among the top of the worst in misrepresenting themselves, their fees, cancellation policies, and quality of product.
When you do a search to check for their quality, you will probably come up with an enormous number of pages rating them well and singing their praises. There's a high probability that they own or have a hand in most or all of these pages that are promoting their site. I can't believe their customers are so happy with them.
Thank you for this site that helps get out the truth about these types of companies.
Here's hoping that this information will help others make a choice in their best interests and avoid sites like this who seem to have a primary interest of taking your money and giving you little or nothing in return.
This company has changed my view about any real ability to determine the safety of a site or not. On all fronts, it appeared to be safe. I feel I was very sadly mistaken about this.
Beware of a site having too many praises. Check out the domains of the sites giving the praise.
All it takes is for the site to buy up some domain names and write itself a bunch of different positive reviews.
Save yourself. Stay away from iPage.

• Su
    suchana aryal Sep 20, 2014

i am a user of ipage.com.Meanwhile few days back one of my website went blank without any error and later i found that i lost my whole data without any reason.i tried to contact ipage support so many time but they just make me puzzle by creating support tickets and tickets but my problem wasnot solved.One day one of the support team asked me to upload database from my computer to make it run completely.
    I lost my website data without any reason and while asking upon they told me to upload database from my computer.Isnt this fraud?
    Please do not purchase hosting package with ipage?They have worst customer supports and services.

Nocky Oct 27, 2014

The company www.ipage.com provided web hosting services, but when I really needed their help, these ### simply ignored me, but before they promised to provide the services and support at any time. It was only big lie, so be aware and post comments about your experience with them. I wonder if there are other people, who had the same experience. Let’s share views about this website.

Web host scam

If you are building a website for the first time, then it's likely that you are unaware of everything your website will actually require to be worth anything.

I don't know about other web hosts, so I'm not going to pretend otherwise, but I selected ipage to host my first ever website, and what I do know is that they scammed me thoroughly.

ipage lures you in with an attractive offer of a long list of features for just $3.50 per month. Wow, you think to yourself, that is a fully comprehensive list. Well to all those who are building your first ever website, let me assure you that by itself, this is a list of junk ! The essential features you need to make your website worth anything are not included in this price. For that you must pay extra a lot extra

Most likely you will only discover this after you have signed your contract with ipage and begun investing your energy and love into building your new website.

Maxine Oct 19, 2010

ipage lures you in with an attractive offer of a long list of features for just $3.50 per month. Wow, you think to yourself, that is a fully comprehensive list. Well to all those who are building your first ever website, let me assure you that by itself, this is a list of junk ! The essential features you need to make your website worth anything are not included in this price. For that you must pay extra… a lot extra…

To clarify, allow me to illustrate:

* FREE Google, Yahoo! & Facebook Marketing Credits

* GREEN! Powered by 100% wind energy

* Access to Online Marketing Guides

* Google Webmaster Tools

* $50 Credit for Google AdWords Click for more information.

* $25 Credit for Yahoo! Sponsored Search Click for more information.

* $50 Credit for Facebook Advertising

* Free Yellowpages.com Listing

* 60-Day Membership for RatePoint's Newsletter Manager

* Drag and Drop Site Builder (Choice of Two)

* Template-Based Site Builder

* Personalized Domain Name, such as yourname.com Click for more information. (A $10.95 Value)

* Blog Setup Wizard

* Photo Gallery Setup Wizard

* Google Custom Search Engine Click for more information.

* Unlimited Email Addresses at Your Domain ( [email protected] ) Click for more information.

* WebMail (Checking Your Mail Online)Click for more information.

* Email Forwarding Click for more information.

* Autoresponders Click for more information.

* Customizable Spam Filters Click for more information.

* Virus Checking

* Web Hosting Control Panel

* Enhanced Security Suite (A $100 Value)

* 24x7 Network Monitoring Click for more information.

* High Performance Load Balanced Servers Click for more information.

* Visitor Statistics/Site Traffic Reporting

* Extensive Online Help Center and Ticketing System

* Step-by-Step Tutorials for Using Your Account

* Anytime Money-Back Guarantee

* 24x7 Phone, Chat and Email Support

* Calls Answered in under Two Minutes, on Average

* Rigorous QA Testing of Staff

Impressive huh? Such a long list. And yes they do offer these things, no doubt about that.

Now check out the list of essential features that ipage DOES NOT offer for less than a princely sum, features without which your website is rendered worthless:

1) You are limited to a website of just 6 pages !!!

2) You cannot link within a page. In SEO 101 they will tell you that you'll need to create internal links within your website. You'll do this by linking between pages and also linking within a page. But with ipage, though you may link between pages, but you are not permitted to link within a page. WTF?!!!

3) You are limited to only one form and five fields in that form, so forget about setting up an interactive quiz or questionnaire.

BUT for an extra $9.95 per month (basically three times what you paid for originally) you can upgrade from the Basic Service to the Premium Service, whereby you will "unlock additional features, " including:

* Unlimited pages to build your site

* The ability to link within a page

* Advanced theme-editing options (edit an existing theme's CSS and HTML, start a theme from scratch, or import your own theme!)

* Option to password protect your pages

* Online booking capabilities with an integrated BookFresh element

* A discussion forum with an integrated Nabble Forums element

* Embed a file for visitors to download (up to 100MB)

* Audio player element

* Embed documents in your site with an integrated Scribd element

4) You get a site with no H1 tags. H1 tags are page headings and other prominent text used by search engines to rank a page. These headings are given a separate attribute (or tag) to the main body of text on a page and without them it becomes that much harder for you to be searchable on google.

H1 tags are so integral to a website, that a site with no H1 tags is like a car without reverse gear. Senseless.

But for a ‘modest’ sum of $500 ipage's design team will include those essential H1 tags.

5) No 301 redirect, which is essentially a search engine friendly method for webpage redirection. A 301 redirect allows you to change the URL of a page as it is shown in search engine results, and allows people to access your site through several different URLs, which believe me you will need.

For example, if you your home page is http://www.example.com/home, you’ll also want to set up a 301 redirect for http://www.home.example.com, or http://www.example.com, as it is very likely that people will try to find you that way too.

6) A support team with a normal IQ. As I reported previously, the ipage help center might be based in North America but that doesn't mean that they haven't hired the greatest ###s to ‘help’ you (link to other complaint). Most of these people can’t spell simple words like ‘ridiculous’, or help you with basic questions

But for an additional $49.95 per month, you can upgrade to ipage’s concierge service, which is essentially a group of customer service persons with a normal IQ, who can spell simple words like ‘ridiculous’ and who know how to turn on a computer. These persons will also set you up with that essential 301 redirect. Believe me you will need a 301 redirect !!!

There are most likely even more limitations that I have yet to discover, and no doubt will discover as my web building knowledge progresses.

I am not averse to paying for a service, but I am averse to being fooled and lied to. If ipage would say from the start that $9.95 gets you a fully functioning website, instead of luring you in with this half-baked $3.50 website, then we wouldn't have a problem here.

As I said, I don't know whether all web hosts resort to dishonest tactics to lure customers. What I do know is that I need to get out of ipage. If anyone can offer advice on both an honestweb host and one to whom I could transfer my website without having to start it from scratch, I would be enormously grateful.

In conclusion, do your homework before allowing a web host to take your money and host your labor of love, because by the time you figure out what's really going on, it'll be too late.

• Gs
    G Stoddard Jan 23, 2013

I agree totally, everything that happened to people on here who were scammed by Ipage has been my experience too. The people who run Ipage are operating a sophisticated scam and they should be in jail.

• Sz
    Szilárd Kállai Feb 06, 2013

They ask a lot for any additions. .I recently canceled my subscrition with them

web host dishonest advertising to lure customers

* FREE Google, Yahoo! & Facebook Marketing Credits
* GREEN! Powered by 100% wind energy
* Access to Online Marketing Guides
* Google Webmaster Tools
* $50 Credit for Google AdWords Click for more information.
* $25 Credit for Yahoo! Sponsored Search Click for more information.
* $50 Credit for Facebook Advertising
* Free Yellowpages.com Listing
* 60-Day Membership for RatePoint's Newsletter Manager
* Drag and Drop Site Builder (Choice of Two)
* Template-Based Site Builder
* Blog Setup Wizard
* Photo Gallery Setup Wizard
* Google Custom Search Engine Click for more information.
* Unlimited Email Addresses at Your Domain ([protected]@yourbusiness.com) Click for more information.
* WebMail (Checking Your Mail Online)Click for more information.
* Email Forwarding Click for more information.
* Autoresponders Click for more information.
* Customizable Spam Filters Click for more information.
* Virus Checking
* Web Hosting Control Panel
* Enhanced Security Suite (A $100 Value)
* 24x7 Network Monitoring Click for more information.
* High Performance Load Balanced Servers Click for more information.
* Visitor Statistics/Site Traffic Reporting
* Extensive Online Help Center and Ticketing System
* Step-by-Step Tutorials for Using Your Account
* Anytime Money-Back Guarantee
* 24x7 Phone, Chat and Email Support
* Calls Answered in under Two Minutes, on Average
* Rigorous QA Testing of Staff

1) You are limited to a website of just 6 pages !!!

* Unlimited pages to build your site
* The ability to link within a page
* Option to password protect your pages
* Online booking capabilities with an integrated BookFresh element
* A discussion forum with an integrated Nabble Forums element
* Embed a file for visitors to download (up to 100MB)
* Audio player element
* Embed documents in your site with an integrated Scribd element

As I said, I don't know whether all web hosts resort to dishonest tactics to lure customers. What I do know is that I need to get out of ipage. If anyone can offer advice on both an honest web host and one to whom I could transfer my website without having to start it from scratch, I would be enormously grateful.

web host dishonest advertising to lure customers

• Im
    IMO4 Jun 30, 2012

Sorry to hear of all your problems. I have been using weebly for over a year to build up and pre-launch my project, and i havent had any problems with them so far, but i understand that ipage host their sites on weeblys platform. i havent paid anything yet, and you can have unlimited pages. i saw it say 6 pages for ipage, so enquired about this with a designer friend, but he wasnt sure what it referred to and suggested i stay with weebly as i knew their platform, not realising it is the SAME platform as weebly, and i thought that sounds cheap, and thought i would perhaps go for it cos they made it sound much more state of the art than weebly, but as i said turns out it is the same. i am just going to do some research. ipage its a good name!

Scam

I signed up with iPAGE and paid them a total of US$126.76 on 29 March 2010 after reading on their intro page...

False Advirtising

As you can see from the front page of their website, iPage claim that for $3.50 a month you have hosting with unlimited Disk Space, Bandwidth and Email. They do not state however that it is subject to terms and conditions.

The terms and conditions state that unlimited actually means that they can define unlimited to be whatever they want.

If anyone fancies a laugh then head over here: http://www.ipage.com/legal/legal_useragreement.bml

A joke of a company.

JANE SIMS Oct 28, 2010

I AM ABOUT TO SIGNUP (IPAGE) BECAUSE THE PRICE IS RIGHT, BUT WHEN I ASKED THEM HOW MANY SITES THE FREE WEBSITE BUILDER IS GOOD FOR, THEY SAID ONLY ONE . SO FREE REALLY IS NOT FREE . THE PERSON ON THE PHONE DID SAY I COULD CREATE IT IN WORDPRESS WHICH IS FREE AND UPLOAD IT, FREE, RUN IT, FREE . NOT 100% FREE LIKE IT SOUNDS . SO, MAYBE THAY'RE NOT SO BAD AFTER ALL . I'LL FIND OUT . [email protected] .

• Li
    linda47 Nov 20, 2010

ipage.com is awful and if you are interested in there services think again.This company does not refund any of your money even when its there fault. Thanks to this company you will look terrible to the search engines so if you are looking to optimize your site I would think again. This company got my site drop from one of my companies major keywords. Also they do say they have unlimted banwidth and they are lying. This is a huge problem when your site drops anywhere between from 6 to 10 drops a day. The search engine look at this really bad as a unreliable site and will kick you off thier search engines. I HATE this company and will complian about them everywhere i can and i willl not stop until everyone knows ipage.com is a no go. Plus they dont even have back up servers at all.

• Ji
    jieunlee911 Apr 11, 2019

I received an email from ipage saying they suspended my account due to a pending $43.50 - which is not true. All my things are set as autopay. When I approved a one time payment for $43.50, ipage charged me for the same thing 19X!!! I only have 2 domains!