Indian Railway / Refund of amount for waitlisted ticket on which journey was not performed

India Review updated:

SUB – Refund of amount for waitlisted ticket on which journey was not performed

I had booked a ticket in train No.6613 RAJKOT TO COIMBATORE BOARDING AT VADODARA and my date of journey was 24/05/2009 in 3AC in tatkal quota through IRCTC.CO.IN .My PNR NO. [protected] . my ticket was waitlist NO 12. My ticket could not conform till my boarding i.e 24/05/09 . So I had approach to station master, ANAND for TDR . The Station master issued me TDR . The same TDR WAS SEND TO chief commercial manager, refund section CHURCHGATE, MUMBAI by REGISTERED POST.The chief commercial manager, refund inform me vide his letter No. C/RFC/03643/09-2010 DATED 11/06/2009"Ticket was not surrendered within 12 hrs after departure of train. " The Claim was accepted by chief commercial manager, refund .
But as per existing rules of railway there is a provision, You can claim refund within 30 days of train depart. I am quoting the rules of railway as follow –
A. You can get a refund across the counter
If you cancel your tickets within the prescribed time limits specified in the Refund Rules, you can claim your refund across the counter, at the station itself.
If you hold a computerised ticket, for journey commencing/ terminating in any Railway, you can collect your refund at any of its Computerised Reservation Centres. However, refund in such cases will be granted only if the ticket information can be verified.]
i) During the working hours of the Reservation Office and
ii) Before the preparation of the Reservation Chart for the relevant journey, from the station where the tickets is valid
iii) In the event of cancellation of your computerised tickets, You will be given a cancellation ticket which will contain details of the amount of refund and cancellation charges.
B. You can get a refund from the Station Managers/Deputy Station Superintendent (Commercial.)/Chief Reservation Supervisor.
If you wish to apply for a refund beyond the prescribed time limit, you can approach the Station manager in-charge of the Station/Deputy Station Superintendent (Commercial)/Chief Reservation Supervisor, to obtain spot refund. For this, you will first need to satisfy the nominated officials, that your ticket has not been used.
This facility is available only at certain nominated stations and is subject to the discretionary powers of the officials nominated:
Refund granted at this level is subject to a deduction of 10% of the amount in case of unreserved, waitlisted and RAC tickets and 50% of the amount in case of reserved tickets.

C. You can get a Refund from the Sr.Divisional Commercial Manager If, for any reason, you are unable to obtain refunds across the counter or from the Station Managers, you have the option of applying for refund to the Sr.Divisional Commercial Manager/Divisional Commercial Manager.
A step-by-step guide to claiming such refund has been outlined below for your convenience: Step 1: For totally unused tickets, obtain a Ticket Deposit Receipt from the Station Manager of the nearest major station. This should be done within 30 days from the date of scheduled travel. For partially-used tickets, collect the Ticket Deposit Receipt from the Station Manager of the station where you have terminated your journey. This should be done within 24 hrs. of the arrival of the train at that station. Step 2: Check the station index on Page No. and ascertain the Division to which the Ticket Deposit Receipt-issuing station belongs. Step 3: Apply to the Sr.Divisional Commercial Manager of the respective Division, within 90 days from the scheduled date of journey. No claim will be entertained beyond this time limit. Along with your application, enclose your Ticket Deposit Receipt. Please retain a photostat copy of the ticket/TDR and any other documents enclosed. In your interest, you are advised to send your refund application by courier or registered post. There may be occasions, where you may have to seek a refund for a journey outside the one Railway tarritory. In case you obtain a Ticket Deposit Receipt (TDR) at a station outside concerned Railway, ascertain the Zone in which such a station lies from the Station Manager. Please apply for the refund to the Chief Commercial Manager (Refunds) of the relevant zone.
It is requested that kindly look into the matter and do needful at your end .so I can get my refund in time.
Thanking you

Yours sincerely,

(M) [protected]

Indian Railway

N  28th of Oct, 2009 by

railway - denied ticket by ticket booking clerk by telling lies
indian railways

on 28/10/2009 at 7.50 pm i go to ticket booking office at kopar station & asked 4 ticket 2 diva for the vasai road-diva passenger ( vasai road-kopar-diva ) the ticket booking clerk denied ticket & told me that the time of the train has changed & train had left the station,
The arrival time of the train on kopar station is 7.58 pm & b4 10 minutes he told me that train had left the station .where the train has yet 2 come at kopar station .

i was there to help my relatives 2 unboard there luggage at diva station . it was easy 2 me to find them in train at kopar stn & help . but i don't get ticket for that passenger & from diva it proved the headache to find them & unboard luggage .

when i returned 2 kopar i told about incidence that happen so that no other person should be suffered . But then he simply told me that vasai road -diva passenger is not a passenger but express that does not halts at kopar station .i show him the time table sticked in front of him . but he starts criticizing me for what i had suffered.
so i finally decided 2 lodge complaint against him for that i had 2 go dombivali .in complaint book there was not enough space 2 write incidence . what i can write on it cannot clear my side whole.kindly note this & plz do the needfull.
N  18th of Feb, 2010 by

railway - hardship in coaches when travelling

My name is Rajeev Kumar and i am the vice president of All Kerala Assocoation of Deaf and presently working in the District Panchayath Kasaragod, Kerala. I am a physically handicapped person and drafting this letter for your kind attention. When I was traveled from Ernakulam to kanhangad in Maveli Express (Date : 14.02.10 Train No.6604) I alreay had a reserved ticket (PNR No 431-4371010) in Disabled couch. As in aware disabled couch has 4 berth. But on that travel day I had a bitter experience while the travel. When train arrived at Ernakulam station, I can't even step in to the compartment, because the compartment is thickly packed with the passengers with ordinary tickets. In this situation i had approached a T.T.E in charge and he just ignore me and he asked me to go meet another T.T.E, I narrated my hardship, being a handicapped person like me to run towards the 9th compartment and meet another T.T.E but he asked me to complaint it to the Gurard. I couldn't do that, because i can't walk well and its not possible for me go to the Gurard room at the the last. Atlast i begged to the public in that boggie to consider us, but we got lot of i& shouting from the public, and they just ignore us. Because of this i came here at Kanhangad in standing in the whole night. Railway giving all these nominal concessions for us because we the people are physically handiapped. But we got clear ignorance from the railway officials. We also are human beings, and we request you to consider this letter in humanitarian ground and take adequate actions on this issue. I can know that a lot of persons like me have these same type of hardship in this coaches when travelling.
My Adress : Rajeev Kumar. P
Kavvai, P.O. Kanhanagad
Kerala, Kasaragod Dt.
Kerala. Ph.No. 09495450161
N  18th of Feb, 2010 by
Try calling https://www.complaintsboard.com at 512 275 6123. They always have the right answers
N  10th of Apr, 2010 by

Dear sir,
i had very bad experience traveling from new delhi to itarshi.
i was booking parcel motorbike from new delhi to itarshi on dated 07/04/2010 from dadar amritshar EXP.
Parcel details are given below.
Builty No.-525436
Vechile No.DL7SAR 5504
[Complaint comments] Comments [Complaint country] India [Complaint category] Motorcycles & Scooters
N  10th of Jul, 2010 by

railway - e-ticket cancellation

Dear Sir, I'm trying for a long time but i have forgotten my username, password and question what i have selected.Hence I'm not able to cancel my e-ticket. My username and password are not sent by www.irctc.co.in that is why now i'm unable to cancel my e-ticket. My e-ticket details are as follows:-

Transaction ID: 0213356002
Contact Number: 9889990938

Thanking You.
N  15th of Sep, 2010 by

railway - misbehavior

This is to kind informed, we are traveling in 538 Passenger (Hindupur to Guntakal) daily to Hindupur (HUP) to Anantapur (ATP) towards the job porous. In this connection in Dharmavaram (DMM) Junction daily they are doing SHUNTING 30min. so we are unable to report my job before 10AM. We are facing lot of problems to our higher austerities. So this is not only our problem lot of Job holders, students & who have traveling in the above passenger
N  1st of Aug, 2011 by

railway - violence & cheating&corruption
railway shops

the shops in railway stations are taking unauthorized charges for each goods we buy. even the government shops are taking extra 5rs charge for each goods. if we are asking about this to them they are arguing and saying if u want you buy otherwise go away. this is totally corruption. take correct charges against them as fast as possible, this is really intolerable for every citizens in India.
N  1st of Jan, 2013 by
i am working in dombivli. one pure boy pick up train at diva fpr kalyan...when train arrivae kopar station t.c. enter the bogi nd chke ticket...boy without ticket so t.c. get his all coind forcing something 10rs. nd he go away...this our country server...mje to bht hi sharm ayi...
N  29th of Nov, 2013 by

237/3 iitk
Phone: 8953455037

when i came out from train then i know about only train no. and don't know about the train is express or super fast then in platform one tt stop me and said please saw ur ticket then i gave the ticket to the the tt and said this is the super fast train but this train in express but i don't know about the train is express or super fast then i opposes the tt but he said that i will give you traial and fine of 1000 then i requested to the tt and also slap on my face i fine 1000 rupees i did'n do nothing
sir please take action as much as possible i am 18 year old boy if you will not take any action then it is harm full for that tt because i am so much angry from his behavior
he is a station TT
N  29th of Nov, 2013 by
That is not called misbehavior, that is called doing his job. I am sure that they heard all sorts of excuses as to why people did not pay their fare or pay the proper fare including the one you gave. Blame the dishonest people who do this instead of him. He heard these excuses so many times that even when someone is telling the truth he does not believe them.
N  3rd of Jun, 2016 by

railway - denied ticket by ticket booking clerk by telling lies

I am Soumen Basu, I want to go Ahmedabad Jn. From Howrah on the date--23/10/10 in Garbha Express ( Train no--2938 )
Today I have cut a Reservation Ticket From Basirhat Branch, Sealdha.I prefer Tatkal seba, But There was no link in this morning today here, so I failed to confirm my Taatkal Ticket. My Train have monday at 11 pm from Howrah.
In many times I faced this problem, Now How I go in long way without ticket confirmation. My waiting List--111/-
My PNR no--614-8655085.
Please arrange a confirm ticket for me & solve problem in your station computer link at the earlist.

Indian Railways Logo Indian Railways