Having problems with Amtrak?

+1 800 872 7245 (Reservations & Customer Service)
+1 215 856 7924 (For International Visitors)
+1 800 872 1477 (Group Travel Requests)
+1 800 307 5000 (Guest Rewards)
+1 800 268 7252 (Amtrak Vacations)
+1 202 906 4020 (Advertising Inquiries)
1 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, District of Columbia
United States - 20001

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Amtrak.

Complaints & Reviews

Oct 13, 2020

Amtrak — Silver star train 91 &92

Unclean trains both ways. Mattress, 92 Train, soil, serveral places should disposed, replaced. Still checking...

Apr 06, 2020

Amtrak — cleaning standards

Hello, I was looking forward to receiving your email update on COVID-19 to see improvements on train cleaning...

Feb 01, 2020

Amtrak — safety grievance re. contract

On 01/31 Train 518, Sea-Mount Vernon was cancelled ( Res: 8FOE13), a bus was provided. I sat in the second...

Jan 29, 2020

Amtrak — capital corridor line

I rode the Capital Corridor line from Richmond, CA to Davis, CA on 1/15/19 (train 534). I boarded in Richmond...

Jan 22, 2020

Amtrak — amtrak train 313 / boulder incident on friday january 17, 2020

I was on the Amtrak 313 going from St. Louis to Kansas City. The car that I was in was struck by a boulder...

Jan 13, 2020

Amtrak — california capitol corridor train #729, jan 11, 2020

Purchased two tickets on Amtrak #729 ($144) from Sacramento to Santa Clara for the purpose of attending the...

Amtraklost/stolen luggage

While traveling from Chicago to Charleston West Virginia on the 3rd and fourth of September, my luggage was lost/ or stolen.
I have been filing lost items for the past several months.
I now have a lawyer who will find out through the use of cameras (which are obviously all over these days) where it went.
My original address, (California 19559 stone gate) is all over items in the luggage.
My and my fathers birth certificate are in there as well.
So there's no reason to not have found me!

Jan 06, 2020

Amtrak — coastal starlight train numbers 11 and 14

December 29, 2019 Amtrak Customer Service 1 Massachusetts Ave., NW Washington, D.C. 20001 To Whom It May...

Amtrakbeing kicked off train with no explanation and for no reason

Bought 2 tickets, at separate times, not the same reservation. One passenger was drunk and both got kicked off train. They were not even sitting together when incident happened. They kicked drunk passenger off, then came and got other passenger whom was sober and again not even involved and kicked him off as well. They gave him no explanation, and had no reason to kick off the sober passenger.

Amtrakmy train was cancelled and I am trying the refund

Dear,

I sent this e-mail to Amtrak several times and I complained i facebook page but the company does not answer. I only a automatic e-mail asking me to call for a number that I wait in the line for hours. I only want my refund because Amtrak cancelled my trip. My next step is send a e-mail to White House.

Reservation Number: 07FF93

Trip/Event Date: 11/3/2019

Message:

My train (number: 2155) was cancelled on november 01/2019 at 07:20am from Boston (Bac Bay) to New York (Penn). I had to go buy bus because I had flight schedule and I would lose my trip if I waited for another train (if Amtrak gave this option because in that moment any of Amtrak's employees knews what is going in on). I order to refund the value that I paid in my credit card.
      Kind regards,
      Marcel Andrade.

Amtraktreatment and handling

Beside being delayed for hr . I've took several trains and enjoyed most . I called complain about a employee had she had talked to me in front of other workers and passenger. I called failed a complaint and was supposed to got a call back nothing . I've been treated as if my concerns mean nothing ! I had a woman at customer service hang up on me and on peruse messed up my train ride . I also had to call back and change it and was charged more money to do so !

Nov 10, 2019

Amtrak — employee

This letter is being crafted to express the indignation and horrendous event that took place at the Santa...

Nov 03, 2019

Amtrak — delay on train #3 on 14 october 2019, from albuquerque to los angeles (res # 8464e4-29 april 2019)

The 16.19 train was delayed considerably. No prior notice was given by either text or email, so my wife & I...

Amtraknaperville, il amtrak station employee

Reporting Negative Experience and Incident That Took Place At The Naperville IL Amtrak Station With The Amtrak Employee and Manager Name Rebecca On October 21, 2019 around 12pm. I was informed by Rebecca that she is the Manager there.

This is my first time here at the Naperville IL and needed help with direction about which side of the train track do I needed to go to take the Amtrak train that I was waiting on.

3 employees were working there. And I was greeted with anger, frown and evil eyes by the employee there. Who didn't want to help with question about where do I take Amtrak Train which area of the station. But very nice to others and helpful who were her own race there at the station. I was discriminated against hurtfully by the employee. I had to ask for help with questions from other train passengers instead. At the station, they also service Metra Train and Metra bus there as well. So I was a bit confused about where, I was to take the Amtrak Train for my travel destination.

Amtraksouthwest chief los angeles to chicago bad experience

TRAIN TRIP

On 9/23/19, my girlfriend Carmen Nelson and I took the SW Chief from Los Angeles to Chicago and then the Wolverine from Chicago to Pontiac arriving on around 1 AM on 9/25/19.

Our experience on the Chief was a bit out of the ordinary and left us with quite a bad feeling about traveling by Amtrak again. First of all, there were 2 young children who were sitting across from us who demanded our attention so much that after the first night we had to request to move. The parents were in the seats in front of us and all they did was give those kids cookies which sugared them out and made them even more hyper and needy for our attention all night long. Cute kids, but they never let up needing and wanting our attention more than they wanted the attention of their parents. The conductor put us on the lower level in a much more peaceful area which made us happy.

Our second day was better downstairs and we slept better.

But in the morning on the third day after having breakfast in the dining car, when we returned to our new seats, the 2 ladies across from us reported that our seats had an electrical burst of flame (fast fireball) and sparks coming from right about where my girlfriends head would have been if we had not been at breakfast! No joke, this was "shocking" to say the least and the conductor told us to move to another seat. The ladies said that a train employee had been fiddling with a breaker during the time of this incident. The rest of our ride to Chicago was fear filled and apprehensive. And we feel we need some explanation as to what happened in our seating area.

The ride from Chicago to Pontiac was normal and we detrained and went on about our vacation which included my 50 high school reunion.

I feel you need to know about this and what happened to us and possibly let us in on what really happed to our seating area.

Jimmy Hunter
            [protected]

• Updated by Jimmy Hunter · Oct 17, 2019

hopeing my complaint went through this is kind of confusing

Amtraktrain on-time service

10/13/2019: I purchased a round-trip ticket from Grover Beach, CA, to San Diego, CA, and the service on both routes was extremely delayed. Going to San Diego, the trip was delayed 45 minutes, while returning we were delayed and hour and half with other depot issues. The train was 2 minutes outside the Grover Beach Depot, and became delayed a 1/2 hour. Minimal information was provided to passengers who were already late to their final destination by an hour. I would like a refund of my San Diego-Grover Beach purchase as compensation for extreme untimeliness.

Amtrakservice delays

I travel daily between Exeter NH and Boston North Station. Increasingly the train is late on arrival in Exeter and hence Boston. My understanding is this late arrival is due to "switching problems" at more northern points along the route.

My simple request is that these switching be corrected. Like my fellow passengers, I rely upon timely arrival at my intended destination. While I understand an occasional late train, the frequency in the past few weeks is becoming the norm. Eventually I shall seek other modes of transportation, likely along with other passengers, because I cannot endure waiting upwards of 30+ minutes outside during the winter months where the temperature often is sub freezing. This situation is becoming untenable.

Amtrakdelayed trains

I am on northbound train 2168 and it is delayed. An all too frequent experience. We pay higher rates for the fastest service and can usually take a regional for the same time in the end. The excuse today is that bad weather impacted switches. I heard this before and not likely that this is the issue but I have let 10 delays go without saying anything this time I am very impacted.

Amtraktrain horns

my name is wayne davison and i live in hadley falls in massachusetts. my complaint is about the excess use of train horns being used. Lately the use of train horns being used at ALL hours of the day especially in the early morning hours. I understand they are being used for safety reasons but i waking up my children with 4 to 5 blasts of a horn from across the ct river is truly excessive. please can you address this. thanks sincerely wayne davidson

• Bi
                        Birdiee Sep 29, 2019

Ditto In Wallingford CT. We have gates and lights at our cossings, there is no need for the excessive horn at 11:00 pm and 6:00 am!!

Amtrakno air conditioning

I was on the New Haven to Philadelphia train Sept 13 at 4:34pm and we did not have air conditioning, it was HOT the entire trip. Our train also lost power and just came to a complete stop somewhere between Penn station and Trenton NJ for approx 15-20 mins. About 30 mins prior to arriving in Philadelphia we were provided a small bottle of water. I am wondering if there is any type of compensation as I'm sure I'm not the only passenger who has filed a complaint! Below is a picture of my ticket for Tara and Lynn Kelly.

no air conditioning

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices