Hyundai Motor America / parts rip-off

1 5871 Urbana Pike Frederick, MD 21704Fredrick, MD, United States

December 23, 2018

Alternator went on our 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited while we were on our way to NJ.

Had the car towed to Ideal Hyundai/GMC dealer in Fredrick, MD. Since it was the holiday I had to wait until December 26 to hear back from the service department. They diagnosed the problem as the alternator and gave me an estimate of $900 for parts, diagnostic and labor. I thought the price was high but we were stuck.

My son works as an insurance adjuster for a major insurer in NJ and he was able to pull up the costs for this repair in their data base. The cost for labor and diagnostic fee were close but the cost for the part was $110 lower than the dealer quoted. My son indicated that the price in his system was the Hyundai retail price for the part…what Hyundai suggests the dealer sell the part for. This prompted me to call 5 other dealers for comparison: 3 in Maryland, 2 in New Jersey and one in South Carolina. All except one came in with the same price that my son found. The one exception was in South Carolina and was $40 cheaper than all others.

Why is this dealer charging almost 30% more for the part than the others?

When we picked up the car on Saturday I asked why the charge for the part was so much higher...his response was that's what he got from the parts department. I said that this is not fair...I want to talk to a manager...was told he was not in but would be in on the following Monday.

I called Monday and spoke to the Service and Parts Director and told him my story. He said he will look into and get back to me. He called back and spoke to my wife and basically said that the price is what it is and there is nothing unethical about his price. When my wife asked you don't think a 30% markup is unethical, his answer was no. We can charge whatever price we want regardless of what Hyundai sets the cost at.

How nice...Screw the customer...Happy New Year...be aware of your charges and remind me never to frequent this dealer!

Ideal GMC Hyundai