HSBC India / inefficient processing of credit card applications!!

India Review updated:

I filled out an application for a HSBC Gold Credit Card on their website. Within a week, an agent called requesting me to furnish all the documents needed for processing my application. I advised him to call me 2 days later as i was out of town then. In the meantime, Citibank came up with an offer of a lifetime free card and i chose to go with them. When the agent from HSBC called again for the documents, i advised him to cancel the request and told him that i was not interested in the card anymore as i went with Citibank. The agent told me that he would cancel my application with HSBC.

2 months later, i receive a mini card statement from HSBC on my mobile, the message read "HSBC Pre-statement alert: Outstanding on your Card no. ************8680 on 8-NOV-07 is 586.07. Pay full or min amt due of 100.00 by 30-NOV-07."

I was shocked to reveive this message and wasted no time in calling HSBC Customer Care [protected]). I spoke with Debushree and advised her of my concern - She said that card ending 8680 was indeed issued after being successfully processed. I told her that i had not provided any supporting documents needed for HSBC to even process the card and more, I had not received the Card and neither did anyone at home sign to receive the card! She was very apologetic and assured me that the card would be blocked with immediate effect. I also requested her to cancel the card.

I am still worried if HSBC will continue to haunt me by sending me bills for a card that i never provided supporting documents for and that i never actually received!!

My friends have had bad experiences with this Bank, especially with the rude behavior of their collection agents in particular.

Personally, i would never want to do business with HSBC in the near future!!
Ki

Comments

Ra
  14th of Jul, 2008
this happens with other banks also. For me Deutsche Bank issued platinum card and started billing and charging whopping interest even before I received it in my hands.
Hs
  22nd of Sep, 2008
Please find the following mail I sent to the HSBC after facing so many hassles. I cancelled my HSBC Credit Card and also closed my savings account. There was no transaction happened using HSBC Credit Card. Still I keep getting SMS and calls from HSBC to make a payment to tham, but they don’t have any explanation for what I have to make payment 
------------------------------------------------

Hi ***,
This is regarding the Credit Card issue I am facing from the day I applied for it. I am an employee of *** since *** and I am holding my salary account in HSBC.

One of your executives met me in my office regarding HSBC Credit card and I applied for the same. During that period I received a call from your bank asking me for a balance transfer (of amount 25, 000/-) from another Credit card to HSBC Credit card and I was assured no extra charges for this and I will get 3 months time to repay the amount.

I accepted the request and after that I didn't here anything form HSBC for more than 2 months and all of a sudden I got a courier from HSBE and found a cheque (Number: *****) of 25, 000/-, but by that time I had already paid the due amount for the other Credit card (ICICI).

From HSBC customer care I came to know if I use the cheque I will have to pay around 650/- extra as a processing fee which was never communicated to me earlier. Since the cheque was delayed by 3 months I had no use no use of the cheque as I had already paid the due amount of my other Credit card. So I wanted to cancel the cheque. Your Customer Care gave me the impression that I cannot do that. On being asked what if I would have used the HSBC Credit card for an amount of 25000/- and won't have paid the amount for more than 2 months what would have the bank done. I got the answer that they would put a fine for not paying the amount.

Then I asked why they have taken more than 2 months time to send me the cheque. If I wouldn’t have paid the amount to ICICI, who was going to pay for the fine? Why there was no communication in between to assure me that I am going to get the cheque and why they hid the information that a processing fee would be charged.
After listening to all these the executive told me that if I have to cancel the cheque, I will have to go to the branch office. The branch office is very far from my office as well as from my home. It's not possible for me to take a half day leave just to cancel the cheque.

I asked for the option whether I can hand over the cheque to the HSBC executives who come every week at our office. That option was also not accepted. I asked to wave off the processing fee so that I can use the cheque for my future Credit card use. But that option also was not granted. I was very frustrated and said that I am not going to use the cheque. The executive replied back that I still have to pay a fine amount and the executives comment that if I didn't want to use the cheque why did I accept the courier was really disgusting and I decided not to discuss the matter with the customer care further.

I spoke with one of your executive who comes at our office on a regular basis to help the customers. He complicated my problems further saying that I must have applied for it otherwise HSBC does not accept telephonic request (remember, I didn't call HSBC, rather HSBC called me up) for such kind of balance transfer. I was unable to convince him that I didn't submit any form for such kind of request. Moreover, you confirmed me later that telephonic request is possible for such kind of offer (and all Credit card executives keep calling their customers for such offers).

Even if I would have submitted the request, why did I receive the cheque after more than 2 months? What's the use of the cheque now? I want to cancel the cheque, but again no help was offered regarding this matter.

Today I got another call from HSBC that I have to pay some minimum amount as I have received the cheque. I don't understand why I have to pay a minimum amount though I haven't used the cheque.

I have discussed the matter with our finance department and couple of times I have discussed the matter with you. As per your request I have stated all the difficulties I have faced with HSBC.

I would request you to look into this issue and take necessary steps to cancel the cheque. I would also request you to cancel my credit card. I don't want any further hassles using HSBC credit card.

Thanks,
“One of the most HSBC tortured user”
Ge
  29th of Oct, 2008
Hallo sir,
My cancelled card number is 4476929995741227 nad i have made a complete outstanding payment of Rs.55, 840 in the month of September on 19th 2008 and i have put sliced credit cards into the Box along with the letter stating and i have also called the customercare personnel and reported to them about my full payment and that i wanted my clearence letter and so far i have not recieved any.
Kindly look into this matter.
Es
  8th of May, 2009
I am hsbc credit cardholder, i am getting my credit card only, till date I am not getting my additional card, I am using only one time from the date of getting card, and I am very tired to getting my first bill
till date I am not getting additional card and not getting clear
reply fromcustomer care.
E.Sankaranarayanan
Sankar.esakky@gmail.com
Pr
  21st of May, 2009
I totally agree with the rude behaviour of Collection agents and Customer Care in HSBC. They proudly tell their name and location and say do what you want we would continue to harass you.
My card expired and I paid once last and then I did not get any statement so i assumed there are no outstanding. Nothing for 2 months. No credit card statement via post. In mails, the one they send did not open. After 2 months, their collection agent from Mumbai starts threatening and shouting. When I complain against it, they said why did you not ask for credit card staement. When I said, I did not know of any dues and in any case they should send me credit card statement, they lost no time in blaming me for all. Then they said that they would send a statement and collection agent's call would stop. Calls again two days later at night and Customer Care informed me that though they are sending me my Credit card detailed statement, though the payment date is 20 days ahead, the collection agent would still call me. And they dont care if I complaint.
Worst customer care service available. Mistake to be its' customer.
Also, the collection agent said that "am I an MP or MLA that I am not paying? Seems that Bank has free for MP/MLA policy."
Ma
  25th of Jun, 2009
I held their credit card for over 15 years. I always paid them even through extended periods of unemployment. In june of last year they raised me to 32% interest not because of non-payment but because I was only sending a little over the minimum. When I tried to negiotiate with them, they were nasty, condescending and disgusting. I tried several times. I even proposed that they should close the card and put me back to my original interest rate and I would pay them. They told me there was no room for negotiation. I did not pay them for one month because I could not get anyone's attention. I then got a credit card counseling service involved that has only succeeded in getting me in chargeoff. I have now gotten a different agency involved. We called HSBC the other day to try again and they just got nasty and hung up the phone. I have never dealt with such disgusting people. They are the only credit issue I am having. I hope they go out of business. I was a long standing customer and was treated like garbage.
Su
  15th of Jun, 2010
HSBC - worst customer service. I called HSBC phone banking from abroad on 15th June 2010. My call was attended by one DURGESH. Despite me going PIN verified, he again asked me to come PIN verified. When I wanted to register a complaint on Internet banking, he refused to take down the complaint. When I wanted to complain about double PIN verification process, he refused to take down that complaint also. When I asked him to connect me to a senior officer, he put me on hold for 33 MINUTES !!!. After 33 minutes, he came back and said that his supervisor is TOOOOOOOO BUSY !!! and she will call back. This is the way the "WORLD'S LOCAL BANK treats its customers ... Good luck to them.
Sukumar
Au
  9th of Aug, 2010
We paid the balance off in full but the payment arrive a couple of days late, so they charged me late fees and interest. I did not realize this right away as I knew I was paid in full. Once I did i was 30 days late on late fee I called and cleared this up right away. The amount was about $35.00, they have put it on my credit report and refuse to take it off.
Sr
  25th of Aug, 2010
my credit card end with the no 3004 has expired 04/09 and i paid total amt but still i am getting msg that i have to pay due otherwise my name will be enrolled in RBI as a defaulter.
Ja
  8th of Apr, 2011
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I agree with your complaint. The same thing happened to me in which i chose the option "pay balance in full" online while making a payment. After doing so, I assumed my balance was payed in full (WRONG) and believed that emails I was receiving were to just try and get me to spend more money, as they have sent to me in the past. It turned out I had lingering "trailing interest" of around $10 which turned into a 30 day mark on my credit. It seems like I would receive a courteous phone call to make me aware of my $10 balance about to go to collections when my payment history has been Excellent!!
Kt
  18th of Jul, 2013
Completely agree. The bank service is so poor that I will never ever refer anyone I know to use their service. I was conned by one of their credit card promotions and did not receive the item as promised. When I called the hotline and they took weeks even moths to get back to me. I decided to terminate the card and will never to have dealing with this bank forever.

HSBC Holdings Logo HSBC Holdings