H&R Block / my & people & want me to commit tax fraud

1 Morgantown, United States Review updated:

I have been going to H&R Block for years to do my taxes, and this is the last time I will ever use their services. The day after having my taxes done this year I received a call from the IRS informing me that my stepdaughter had already been claimed on someone else's taxes. After several hours of talking with the IRS and H&R Block my wife finally found out that her ex-husband's girlfriend's return was the one that was filed with our daughter's social security number. We claim our daughter every other year, and this was our year to claim her. Last year she was claimed by her father's girlfriend, which is illegal. She has her taxes done at the same H&R Block that we have ours done. This year when she had her taxes done they deleted her son from the form accidentally, and left our daughter's social security number on her return, allowing her to claim our daughter for the second year. Once we figured all this out it was too late because she already had her income tax return. H&R Block then informed us that to make it right we should claim that woman's son on our return. They asked us to commit tax fraud!! After I told them I didn't want to lie to the government and commit a crime they informed me that I could file our return without our daughter on it, then file an ammendment later claiming her, and we should "maybe get your money by July 4". On top of that, we now owe the state an extra $200 dollars because we aren't able to claim our daughter. After a long day of dealing with this problem, which originated when one of their tax preparers accidentally entered the wrong social security number on a form I asked if we could expect a refund for what we paid for their services, and the manager informed me that since the mistake didn't technically occur on my form I wouldn't be getting a refund, but the woman's form that accidentally claimed our daughter would be getting one, because the original mistake occured with her form! H&R Block charged me $200 for their services, cost me an extra $200 that I now owe the state, and will cause me to recieve half of my return 7 months late. And all they have offered me is half off my bill when I have my taxes done next year! I will never use they again, they are unethical, and incompetent. They have commited identity theft, then wanted to correct it with tax fraud. DO NOT USE H&R BLOCK!!

Nl

Comments

Sa
  2nd of Feb, 2009

I worked for H&R Block for 2 tax seasons. The district manager in NYC will place so much pressure on us to help the taxpayers in cheating the IRS. The more returns we prepared, the larger his bonuses.

Va
  5th of Feb, 2009

I have been in custormer service for over 10 years and I know for a fact that people only hear what they want to hear. I also work for HR Block in Grand Rapids, MI, and I know that people don't always tell the truth. If a person had all the correct information to claim a child- and answered all the questions correctly as well-then more than likely that particular child will be placed on the return. As a tax preparer we don't know if a person is telling the truth or not. If a person wants to commit fraud they will. If a client comes in with the SSN#, D.O.B., Name, and etc., and they know how-key word-know how to answer all the questions correctly-yes the child will be placed on the return.
To begin with the X-husbands girlfriend wasn't supposed to claim the child from the beginning-so it was wrong to start. Don't balme HR Block for the stuff that they had already did wrong.

Ji
  9th of Mar, 2009

It comes down to this...

You were right to claim your daughter... File a complaint with the IRS with documentation. The "EX" will be investigated.

H&R Block was right to enter the information given. If the preparer entered information wrong, blame THAT preparer. The office manager should!

If your preparer suggested you defraud the Govt, THEY ARE WRONG! That preparer and maybe the site manager should be reported to the distarict or regional H&R Block office.

Finally, keep in mind if the "EX" and/or the Preparer intended to defraud the IRS, they are in danger of being fined and jailed. It sounds like the steps you have done so far are correct, but more needs to be done. (Except defaming a whole company for the acts of a couple bad employees)

Please do not paint ALL H&R Block employees as criminals. There are bad employees in every company. This does not make the company bad.

BTW: I also work for H&R Block and am a retired Police Officer. The employees who do this at our office are let go and NOT asked back in following years. Most go to our competitors for jobs...