Hotwire / rental car rip-off

I booked a car through Hotwaire. I asked for an SUV. The next day when I saw the confirmation email it read minivan. I immediately contacted Hotwire and told them I did not want a minivan. I wanted an SUV, as there were only going to be my wife and I. We neither wanted nor needed a minivan. The person was very nice and said he would fix the problem. He booked us with a different dealer for an SUV (which is not the car we ended up getting from the new dealer). After our trip I looked and Hotwire is charging me for both vehicles for the same date at the same time, from two different dealers, which obviously makes no sense. I have called, written, and even yelled at this company and they refuse a refund. They try to insist I originally asked for a minivan. But that is not true and their agen who supposedly fixed things obviously did not cancel the first car and they have charged me for both. I am exasperated and don't know what else to do, so here I am.

Am
May 8, 2015

Comments

27th of Jul, 2008
    HotWire - Misrepresenting Hotels
    Athens
    Texas
    Phone: 903 477 1430

Hotwire sells rooms based on the Star rating system. We just returned from the worst 3.5 star rated hotel ever. Pay the extra and book direct or from a Site that lists the Hotels so that you can read the reviews. Believe the reviews. After getting home we read horrible reviews about this Hotel.

• Ro
      8th of Aug, 2008
    HotWire - email depection
    hot wire
    Colorado
    hotwire.com

Try to get rental car They will alway say price has went down click on link.price has never went down usually more Same old bait and switch

• Ed
      4th of Jun, 2010
    HotWire - Worst service ever
    Hotwire

Worst service I ever had in a Cable Service.

I had a lot of problems that never have been solved after making many claims.

The customer service department and technician don't have the minimun knowledge and education to take care of their clients and solve problems dealing with cable T.V. and internet.

• Ka
      27th of Aug, 2010
    HotWire - Don't use it
    Hotwire

I just bought a hotel room using hotwire and saved only $3 over the regular price of the hotel plus had all of the drawbacks of using hotwire with its requirement that you pay upfront fully without quite knowing what you are buying. Recommend strongly against using it.

• Cs
      19th of Mar, 2011
    HotWire - reservation changes
    Dallas
    Texas

I MADE A RESERVATION FOR A RENTAL CAR AND A FEW HOURS LATER REALIZED I COULDN'T GO DUE TO MY WORK SCHEDULE SO I CALLED AND ASKED FOR A REFUND AND THEY REFUSED TO GIVE IT TO ME. tHEY WILL JUST KEEP MY MONEY, SO I GUESS I JUST DONATED $143.00 TO HOTWIRE AND ALAMO CAR RENTAL CO. I DON'T RECOMEND ANY ONE TO USE THIS COMPANY IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CRYSTAL BALL TO TELL THE FUTURE.

• Ko
      4th of Jul, 2011
    HotWire - Wrong Destination
    Hotwire

Made a airline reservation from Phoenix to Mason City, Iowa. Hotwire made the reservation but sent us to Des Moines, Iowa...120 miles from our destination. Talked with customer service and their comment "we all make mistakes". So we got stuck with a $400 ticket we couldn't use and no effort on their part to correct the situation. Never use them again.

• Or
      10th of Aug, 2011
    HotWire - Hotwire Hotel Ripoff
    Hotwire.com
    Carlsbad
    California

Caveat Emptor when you buy through Hotwire. I ended up paying more than 130% of regular price at Carlsbad Ramada booked through Hotwire. Regular price was $79. Booked through Hotwire was $99. I needed two beds, so I ended up paying $25 per night more, on top of Hotwire price, already inflated. Hotwire is a RIPOFF. Buyer Beware

• Ro
      12th of Oct, 2011
    HotWire - nonrefundable booking
    California

Hotwire gave a good rate on a car rental in the Seattle WA airport. The small print was that it was non-refundable. Please make sure you read all the small print. I will never use it again.

• Mi
      7th of Nov, 2011
    HotWire - NO EXCHANGE ON VEHICLE
    HERTZ
    SEATLE
    Washington

After purchasing vehicle protection on a rental vehicle from Hertz using Hotwire to get a better rate, I was told us it or lose it. Why did I purchase vehicle protection, then? Hotwire has done this to several unsatisfied customers. I am only losing $200, but other have lost thousands.

I would like everyone who has been stolen from by Hotwire to file a complaint with the FTC. There are enough of us to put them out of business.

• Cr
      30th of Jan, 2012
    HotWire - bookings
    hotwire
    Ontario
    Canada

I booked with hotwire.com and decided to gamble and book the hotel without knowing the name in order to save more money. I paid 113 Canadian plus tax per night for 2 nights. I paid for the room, then they sent me the information. I looked up the hotel on the internet and the rates are 119 USD plus tax per night for 2 nights. So i only saved about 8 dollars per night. This is not alot of savings. They ripped me off.

• Ko
      7th of Mar, 2012
    HotWire - Misrepresenting Hotel quality
    California

The "Mystery Motel" is a SCAM . we booked a 3.5 star motel for a guaranteed rate of 66. per night. The scam then puts you in a motel that hotwire rates as a 3.5 star. We did some research, our motel only rated at 2 stars on all other web-sites and was actually cheaper on the other sites also. The hotwire customer service people were very rude. Don't fall for this SCAM

• St
      26th of Mar, 2012
    HotWire - service
    Hotwire

Customer service useless; company not "military-friendly" as they proudly proclaim. cannot get an answer from live customer service, answer to your inquiry will be emailed to you so you can't argue, complain or discus the outcome. Truely a company built around service.

• Id
      28th of Mar, 2012

You should always check rates at the hotel website. I would never blindly book a hotel.

• Kr
      24th of Jun, 2012
    HotWire - Hotwire Cancellation
    HOTWIRE
    Florida

Tropical storm, tornado watch, and significant coastal flooding along the entire coast in the Gulf (Clearwater, FL)- and Hotwire will not allow cancellation or change of reservations and refunds. I was told by Tamara that the weather was in no danger.?? I am watching the news as of this moment and they warn people to stay home. So Hotwire wants me to drive in the storm and ignore the tornado warning and flood?

• Pi
      27th of Jun, 2012

Have you been able to get them to do anything?

11th of Jul, 2012
    HotWire - STAR RATING
    HOTWIRE
    Washington

I wish I would of seen the HOTWIRE star rating complaints. Booked 3 and 1/2 star rating ended with low budget star rating that they said had that listed, NOT. Seems to be there thing. I would of ended with something that I could choose the room for same price at other sights. Shame on you HOTWIRE. We need a class action law suit going!!!

• Br
      30th of Oct, 2012
    HotWire - rip ogg
    Hotwire

Impossible. No refunds, changes or adjustmenst - they just took my money and that was all. Do not use them if there is the slightest chance your plans will change. As far as I am concerned they are legal pirates and will never use them again.

• Br
      30th of Oct, 2012

Always read the terms and conditions before agreeing to a service, and always book direct.

• Pi
      20th of Dec, 2012
    HotWire - POOR CUSTOMER SERVICES
    Alaska

I WILL NEVER BUY AGAIN A TICKET THRU HOT WIRE .. THIS GUYS ARE STUPID, YOU CALL THEM AND THEY DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT AIRLINES AND FLIES.. SPECIALLY THE EMAIL PEOPLE .. THEY NEVER RETURN YOUR EMAILS.. THEY DO NOT WANT TO HELP YOU AT ALL

I WILL NEVER BUY A TICKET FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN..

SUCKERS!!!

28th of Jul, 2014

The prices are the lowest price based on national rates for any location at any time.