Homemark / False info and unauthorized credit card billing

1 United States

My wife was phoned by Homemark stating that she has won a vacuum cleaner. She explicitly asked if there where any costs involved and they said no. I was phoned by the bank to confirm whether they should process a transaction of R2986 from Homemark, I on two occasions told the bank not to authorize the transactions as I had neither ordered anything nor authorize Homemark to debit my credit card for this transaction. On 16 September 2009 Homemark debited my credit card with the amount of R2986.91 without my authorization. In my opinion this is illegal and I'm currently disputing the transaction. It's unacceptable that Homemark phones people and tell them they have won a prize and then debit their accounts for the full amount without authorization. Homemark had my card details from a transaction with them more than 2 years ago. To my knowledge it's also illegal to store customers credit card details...I'm shocked that a company like this continues to exploit customers and subject them to extreme inconvenience and a waste of time.

Ro