Homeaway / cancellation protection scam

1 Austin, TX, United States

I purchased my vacation on Nov 29th and as usual I also bought the trip cancellation. I have the email saying you have paid and received the cancellation protection plan. I have undergone a surgery which will prevent me from going on my vacation. I first emailed the property owner who said she would be happy to cancel my reservation but would not under any circumstance issue any refund either partial or full. A little upset, Now I call the insurance company and they say that there is no insurance policy for me. The insurance company (CSA) said that without the email that has my policy number they cannot open a claim for me. So now I call VRBO who tells me to work it out with the insurance company. and They say there are no emails or records of my paying of the cancellation policy. Again, I have the confirmation email showing the payment and cancellation protection receipt. Edwards told me that after consulting the billing department while I was on hold he found that the protection plan was internally rejected but I was still charged. I went as far as to find the historic international exchange rates to prove that the amount paid in total included the protection policy charge and the rental price. Edwards (No last name). Was not terribly helpful. I was given a case number and told that there was nobody higher in the chain that I could speak with. I have no problem with Edward but if this is how the company processes this kind of thing then I probably won't ever recommend this company again. Edward case number [protected]

Ro