Home Depot / returns nightmare

I purchased an item online that was named incorrectly on the website. I returned it immediately and requested credit for shipping as well, as the item was named and described wrong on the website.

Not only were none of my requests acted on, but it is impossible to plead your case directly to the returns department, as they do not take calls or emails. I was promised twice they would call me, they never did.

On my most recent call I was told that none of my requests were passed on to the returns department, neither for the full credit, nor for the return call I was promised twice.

To add insult to injury I was told that the partial credit was made by issuing me a gift card!

I would by no means use the gift card, as I would not purchase from their online department again!

Incompetence added to an unworkable policy and structure.

Return an item and get a gift card instead of a refund! Outrageous.

Ja

Comments

Lb
  9th of Sep, 2009

Purchased a front loading LG washing machine. Salesperson never mentioned the fact that I would have to leave door standing open and chemicals regularly in order to avoid a musty mildew odor from accumulating in my laundry room. I didn't notice the problem right away, but after about a month it was driving me crazy. I called to ask about it and was finally told about the open door and chemicals. Problem is that I am severely allergic to most chemiocals and cannot even use chlorine bleach. I couldn't leave the washer door standing open because it is situated right next to the door into my garage and would be ripped off when someone entered the house. I kept getting the run around - sent back and forth between LG and HD. Finally got hold of local store manager and he assured me that if I called one more number, they would arrange for me to return the washer in exchange for a top loader. I DID call one more number SEVERAL times - leaving a detailed message each time. My calls were never returned. I gave them a couple of weeks to respond before I called the manager back. He seemed utterly surprised that I hadn't already returned the washer because he thought his people had taken care of everything. Almost four months after my initial complaint, they picked up the washer.
The post script to my story is that the original washer had been automatically placed on their "no interest - no payment for 6 months" program. They picked up washer just before the 6 month expiration date, but I am just now learning that they credited the price of washer onto my regular revolving account and I am now paying all the accrued interest on an appliance that I don't even own! When I once again called, I was informed that it is written in my origianl FINE PRINT contract that they may credit any return monies as they see fit? But, they also said that I could have requested that the credit be applied to the 6 months no pay plan except nobody bothered to tell me that at the time. Naturally, now it is too late. Buyer beware! I usually read EVRYTHING before I sign a contract. But, let's be honest. They send those itty bitty pages in the hopes that we DON'T actually read them. I am so discouraged by businesses who practice immoral, albeit legal, tactics in the name of the almighty dollar. Karma is a wonderful thing ...