Hitachi / 60v500 LCD TV / Bad color engine

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I purchased a HITACHI LCD TV (60V500) in 2004 and in 2006 I started noticing a red glow whenever the screen is blank (between commercials etc). I reported the problem to Hitachi's customer service dept and they told me to try replacing the lamp. I did so but the problem did not go away. After doing some research I now find out that the Color engine in these units are poorly ventilated which causes the unit to over-heat. I tried contacting Hitachi to have them replace the color engine which will cost approx $1, 400. They refused saying the TV is "out of warranty”. I also found out that they have been selectively replacing some color engines with refurbished ones. I think this is a problem which they can easily take care of by providing refurbished color engines and have the customers pay for the repair. Until then I am staying away from the Hitachi products and suggest that you do the same.

An

Comments

• Br
      20th of Jul, 2008

I totally agree with the problem, my 60V500 has the red glow, and deteriorated picture quality. I contacted Hitachi, who said I need to have a TV service company confirm the problem. Not sure how much it'll cost to have a company come out and tell me it's a color engine, which is what it is based on all I've read on the internet. Hopefully Hitachi will provide the free part and the install cost be minimal ($150). I've read that they've done this.

• Ad
      25th of Oct, 2008

kmart es mi tienda faborita por los precios comodos esa es la tienda para nosotros los centroamericanos todo un poco mas varato que las demas tiendas soy cincero lo malo que tiene es que no tienen personas que hablen el idioma de nosotros que es ezpanol; asta pronto kmart