Hertz / billing discrepancies

1 Aeropuerto InternatacionalCozumel Mexico, United States

Reservation for an intermediate vehicle made on 04-26-2015 with Hertz car rental located in the airport in Cozumel, Mexico. Rental was for Dec. 12, 2015 and returned on the 19th. Rental cost quotation is 131.25 for the week. Upon arrival went to the Hertz rental booth and spoke with a female agent named "Anna". Provided Anna with my confirmation number G-[protected] and was asked for my drivers license and credit card which was provided. Anna then handed me a computer print out and asked if I wanted a liability insurance which would cover an accident had I struck another vehicle or pedestrian. I inquired what the cost would be and she related about $25.00 a day extra. I then inquired what would the total cost of the rental be including everything necessary and Anna replied "the total cost would be $274.00. I agreed to the amount and was required to initial seven lines on the rental record and to sign the bottom of the page to which I did. After signing the paper I once again asked Anna what the total cost would be to which she replied "as I told you, $270.00". At this time, I asked Anna if two other same type of vehicles would be available at the same cost for my son and a friend who was arriving a half hour later to which she replied "yes". I waited until their arrival and directed them to Anna for the rentals. I related to them in front of Anna that the cost would be $274.00 for the week and that is with the liability insurance. Anna began their paperwork and I left with my wife to the car lot. I returned on Dec. 19th around 11:30 am and turned the vehicle in to Miquel who is the attendant in the parking lot and works for Hertz. He requested my paperwork which I didn't have with me but told him I would go back in the check in area and retrieve it from my wife. He told me not to because everything was fine and he would call Anna at the Hertz booth. I went to the Hertz booth and found several people were ahead of me to rent vehicle and had to wait 30 minutes to get waited on. Anna took my paperwork and handed it to another male person at the computer who entered something into the computer and within five minutes printed out my rental charges. He handed me the papers and the cost was $468.00 instead of the $274.00 that Anna told me. I related you must have made a mistake this amount is no where near what Anna told me. Anna then took the papers and showed me charges that she never admitted when I was renting the vehicle and that I had signed and initialed for these charges. I was very disappointed at the total cost and perhaps they felt guilty about their faulty sales pitch because the lowered the price to $435.44 which was not the verbal cost that Anna provided to me several times. My plane was boarding and I couldn't stand around to argue the close to double amount of what they were charging me but I did inform Anna that they got me this time and will never get me again. They same practice was done on my son and my friend's rental. This is certainly a fraudulent practice and is not good for the Hertz Company and worse for customers who rent your vehicle without full disclosure of costs and charges. Needless to say, I will never rent another vehicle from Hertz nor will my son or my friend and anyone else who will read the fraud that Hertz allows to occur to its customers. I would strongly suggest that Hertz in Mexico review their policies for explaining the rentals. It's shame on the Hertz Company and Mexico for allowing this.

Hertz