Handyman Club of America / unauthorized membership billing

1 CA, United States Review updated:

My 81-year old aunt received a "dues invoice" from Handyman Club of America for $24 stating YOUR PAYMENT IS PAST DUE. It said "Thank you for activating you membership." There is no contact number on the invoice, nor on their website. Fortunately I found it on your website and called them. I was told that the membership had been activated online. My aunt does not even have a computer!

Unfortunately my aunt has been the victim of several scams in the past and now seems to be on a "sucker list." She gets literally hundreds of "offers" in the mail and it is virtually impossible to stop this avalanch of solicitations from predators.

Comments

• Bo
      27th of Aug, 2008

Unethical wording --unauthorized billing / and or soliciting for payment for something i did NOT order.

18th of Jul, 2009

It was stated that I was to recieve two items when you pay and first enroll. I have yet to recieve such Items. I have complained to them through their email. They sent me an email that I would be recieving them within 2 to 4 wks. Its a wait and see. Just thought I would let you know.

• Na
      13th of Sep, 2010

All I paid for was the magazine subscription. Now, they have sent me a letter saying that I need to pay for, or return a book. I never ordered any book, nor did I receive a book. I am going to try to go to handyman website and email them. Not only that, I was informed that if you receive something you did not order, even if you get the magazine, it is yours and you are not liable for any payment. I did not sign up for any tool library and don't need it. Again, I never received any book from them. They are very lacking in their bookkeeping area, or someone is pinching money. I will never order a magazine from them again. Come to think of it, I have only received one magazine, but paid for a full subscription. Wish someone would put a nail in their coffin. LOL!