Hampton Bay / I would say Buyer Beware!

I purchased a remote control Hampton Bay ceiling fan with lights in 2004 to go into a newly built seasonal sunroom. After the 1st year of use, the fan would only go to the medium and slow speeds. Now it does not operate any of the fan at all. I made several calls. It is made by a company called "Redington" for Home Depot. They wanted $25 to send me the new receiver I needed to install to correct the problem. The fan was used very little and if they can't stand behind their product, I would say Buyer Beware!

Comments

• Sh
      5th of Jun, 2007

What model is your fan? My mother has a Hampton Bay with remote and it caught on fire. What a scary thing! I'm not sure of the model number, I'll have to find out. Please beware of this problem. The fan started making noise, she shut it off and a little while later smoke was pouring out of it and it turned itself back on. Luckily she walked in the room when she did and immediately called 911.

23rd of Jun, 2007

I purchased 5 Hampton Bay fans for $1200 then spent $500 having them installed. The remote function and the fans are a piece of junk and Home Depot corporate complaint line told me Hampton Bay would remove them at their cost. I've never heard back from either of them. EVERYONE who has had a complaint should check with the free legal consumer complaint website and have their situation reviewed. I've seen online where they've caught on fire, mine don't come on half the time and they're all on different frequencies.

• Ga
      29th of Jun, 2007

We have purchased such a fan, with remote, and it is working fine; so far. It is worrisome that if it quits, our only recourse may be to throw it away. However, we would certainly bother Home Depot for a year with faxes, emails, letters, complaints to the BBB and to the States Attorney General, etc. I'd get my satisfaction by costing them many 100's of dollars worth of labor.

It is a fact that most manufactures will no longer honor their warranties, or even allow a customer to contact them for any reason. The chain stores are beginning to do the same.

If people would quit shopping at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart (Chinamart), etc., and instead buy from their locally owned stores; most of these problems would go away. The locals that are still in business will take care of their customers.

By shopping at the large chain stores, no matter how they treat us, we are encouraging their crass behavior.

• Es
      23rd of Jul, 2010

I had purchased my Blackberry Gemini 8520 from a mobile store in Chennai and only after purchase I knew it was a officially unlocked device and not a usual Airtel Blackberry, I was upset at first as I have nearly 3 years of experience with Blackberry service at Airtel and its just awesome they do it so professionally. I used a Rs.999 (approx. USD $20) worth cover for the phone from case mate, after a month and few days the display brightness diminished to very low level and I had taken it to the Redington India Ltd. service center in T.Nagar and they told me about the Rs.730 charge if there is water lodged in the device and I was 100% sure that there isn't any possibility for the same, so I gave my device for service and was waiting for about 2 weeks and I received a call from them saying there was water lodge in my device and they want me to pay Rs.730 to get the device back and the most important thing is that the device isn't serviced. I was like what the hell? Why would I pay these cheats the money just to open and take look at it and return? These people don't have the basic common sense that if I had known there is water why would I give it for service to pay Rs.730 unnecessarily? I would rather go to private service center and get it done for same price or something additional, finally they sent me some fake snap shots of water damage and stuff. I doubt if they had done it on their own to rip off the money. Today I got the device back and the display totally doesn't work. They spoiled it even more. Blackberry has to stop sending officially unlocked devices let the people get good service from Airtel, Reliance and other service providers. Never from these local Redington guys, I wonder if they have ever seen a Blackberry phone, these guys would only have experience in spoiling local basic phones like Nokia, Motorola etc. Now giving the service order to these guys Blackberry is spoiling its reputation in India. I need a brand new device and also my Rs.730 to be returned and I am not going to live them till then.

People beware of these guys. Redington India Ltd is totally a fraud company. Redington India Ltd rips off the money and spoils your device. Redington Group has to replace my device and pay me my Rs.730 back. Redington Group has to stop the scam in the name of service Blackberry devices. Redington India Ltd should no longed be an authorized company to service Blackberry devices. Blackberry has to stop the contract right away.