GoldCar Rental / car rental alicante - fraudulent activity

1 Alicante, Spain

I've used GoldCar extensively over the years and they seem to have gotten their act together with good quality cars at reasonable prices. True they are extortionate with additional costs but you can minimise these if you go into your car hire prepared. I thought I had but however, after returning my car in late November I still have not received my deposit back into my Credit Card account, and am now incurring unnecessary fees because of it, over 20 days ago! Disgraceful. What makes it worse is apart from the telephone, their is no email complaint or query service. I'm no longer impressed with GoldCar.

GoldCar have responded today 21/12/2017 with the following:-

Dear Peter,

We have double check your contract and we have seen that the fuel deposit amount and caution, 1483€, was unblocked under operation code A07153. Note that we have charged 900€ for damages occurred during your rental period.
Take into account that this amount was not charged/refunded, so you will not be able to see any movement on your bank statement. This amount was a pre-authorisation. Please check this matter with your Bank.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you need further information.

Kind regards,

Victoria R,

Goldcar Representative.

My complaint is that I've returned the car fully fuelled and undamaged, and at the carpark had the car checked by a GoldCar representative in Alicante. They stated everything was normal and thanked me.

Now, without any communication, any proof, and justification they have held 1400+ Euros, pre-charged onto my account!

I've been using GoldCar.es for many years, and other return companies around the world, but I've never before have I been subject to such erroneous business malpractice. They have all my details, my telephone, home address, email, yet no contact whatsoever. Something is seriously wrong with this company.

My booking was through DoYouSpain Reference DYS [protected], customer complain CS-697384

My contract with GoldCar is [protected]

The car hire was for a Ford Focus Reg 3141JZZ

Other than phoning, I have no method of contacting GoldCar at Alicante.

• GoldCar Rental Customer Care's Response, Jan 19, 2018

Dear Peter,

I have talked with our agents from the Social Media department, who attended you during a second assessment of this matter. They ran a deep investigation with our offices and also escalated it to our central department. Thanks to that they considered a refund due to several things during the process that left the statements without a solid justification.

We are glad to have been able to resolve this matter positively for you and we apologise for all the inconveniences.

Hope to se you again,
    Kind regards.
    Victoria R.
    Goldcar Representative.

• Updated by PeterWB, Jan 27, 2018

Hi Victoria,

Thank you and Social Media the team so much for taking the time and effort to escalate and finally resolve this issue. We also discussed the case directly with your representatives in Alicante who pointed out that there has been a process in place for nearly 2 years now whereby Renters like myself can effectively have their documentation stamped to clarify the vehicles are returned undamaged, I only wish we had known this at the time but would thoroughly recommend that this is known about and used more widely, because I'm sure it would be mutually beneficial to all parties.

Thanks again - my faith in GoldCar has been restored.

Peter