Geico Insurance / terrible experience

One Geico Plaza Washington 20076WA, United States Review updated:

I'd like to give consumers to beware of Geico's business practices when it comes to renewal of policy.

I was insured with Geico for 11 years, I kept renewing my policy year after year like I was on auto pilot. I knew there were better deals out there everyone I knew told me so but out of loyalty or laziness I just kept renewing.

However, I noticed that despite my great driving record my premiums were not budging. When I told them I was going to cancel the customer representative told me I had to renew, because if there was a lapse in coverage I would be fined by my new insurer. This information is actually half correct, but she was trying very hard to keep my account through 'threats' not 'service.'

Consumers be advised that there are some states that will fine you if there is a lapse of insurance, however, each state has different laws regarding lapse of insurance. Secondly, there needs to be a huge gap such as 30 days or more for you to incur a fine. Do not let any insurance company or agent scare you into paying their high premiums. You have a right to shop around and find the best deal for yourself. This is a pure business decision.

This is exactly what I did. However, 3 months later I got a note from DMV telling me that I had incurred a fine for not being insured. It seems not only does Geico threaten customers into staying with them they also notified the DMV that I had a lapse of insurance because I was not insured with them anymore.

For those that are in the process of looking at insurance companies believe me you don't want a company like this to cover you. They're in the business of making money, whatever way they can. Instead of gaining loyalty through service they'd rather blackmail and threaten their customers into loyalty.
An

Comments

Ho
  20th of Feb, 2009
Youre an idiot. of course an insurance co. notifies the dmv when you no longer have ins w/ them. especially in ca where dmv requires you have insurance on a vehicle thats still actively registered w/ dmv. if the dmv contacted you b/c of this lapse, its obviously b/c your current ins co. failed to notify dmv that you now have other ins. regarding your premium, I bet you anything that you were already getting the best rate and had and old clunker with liab only. insurance isnt free people. your premium can only go so low.
Wp
  31st of Mar, 2010
I like when you say, "They are in the business of making money" Ya think, there Sherlock?! If you didn't have insurance, they have to notify the DMV by law. Not only that, THE GIRL ON THE PHONE WARNED YOU THAT IS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN!!! You really are stupid!

GEICO Logo GEICO