Geico / geico policies and procedures!

I requested a quote from GEICO regarding insuring my son under my automotive policy. After providing GEICO with information to ascertain a quote, I was charged an additional $131.00 to insure my son under my existing policy. However, I only requested a quote. I contacted GEICO via email and by phone and was informed that in order to remove my son from my policy, it would be necessary to provide written documentation of existing insurance coverage for my son. I do not believe it is GEICO's right to enforce such a policy, when I clearly requested a quote. Additionally, it is none of GEICO's business as to what insurance company my son is insured under, unless I officially entered into a contractual agreement with GEICO to ensure my son, none of which I have consented to in writing or otherwise.
I contacted a lawyer and was informed that in the state of Virginia, it is the law that all drivers with a valid license living at the same residence must be insured, however, there is no such law in Maryland, where I reside. I informed GEICO of that law, and was told that it is GEICO's 'POLICY' that all licensed drivers within the home must be insured. Again, I explained that I wanted a quote and that my son did not reside with me, and again I was asked to provide proof. After speaking with Judy Williams, in GEICO's CEO office I was told that none of the GEICO customer service representatives whom I spoke with informed me that I could sign a waiver, which would exclude my son from driving my car. Judy Williams sent the waiver to me via traditional mail, I signed the waiver and faxed it back to GEICO. GEICO removed most of the charges associated with insuring my son, however, GEICO is charging me for the time that my son was insured under my policy prior to signing the waiver. I did not agree to have my son added to my automobile policy, I simply requested a quote. Lastly, because of past business dealing I maintain all written records and documentation from GEICO, which outlines the aforementioned. I would like to start a class action lawsuit in hopes of stopping GEICO from imposing such a policy. Additionally, I would like GEICO to payback any consumer that requested a quote and was subsequently charged for services that they did not receive. GEICO cannot continue to rob consumers based on technicality, which was imposed by GEICO.

Comments

• Mo
      11th of Mar, 2008

Wow, you are so stupid. This is standard procedure with almost all insurance companies, you've probably just never encountered it before. Geico's methods are all sent to the state for approval, meaning it's all been reviewed and accepted by the state. YOUR STATE says "yes, it's okay for your to conduct business in this way, here is your license." If Geico did not follow what your state agrees to, they would lose their license. Plain and simple. Also, it's disclosed quite plainly in the terms and conditions.

• To
      1st of Apr, 2008

Geico closed an unresolved claim.

27th of Aug, 2008

we tried for your long term subscriber to reach ANYBODY AT YOUR TEL.NNO FOR 35 MINS WITH NO RESPONSE WHATSOEVER..WILL NO LONGER WATCH YOUR COMMERCIALS OR EVEN LOOK AT YOUR RATES NO MATTER WHAT THEY ARE! SITU DISGUSTING FOR YOUR SUB, FELDERLY MAN WITH WIFE IN HOSPITAL AND CANNOT GET THRU TO YOU!!!

• Li
      17th of Oct, 2008

That person is correct. I am an agent with GEICO. Read your contract, it clearly states that if GEICO is given new information they have the right to update your policy, this includes change of address, the way you're driving your vehicle, and household members. Geico doesn't add kids on for money...teenagers are not a preferred risk. Insurance companies do this to ensure the claim is covered with no problems. If someone is a resident in your house with a license, suspended or not, they need to be on your policy...even if they have other insurance. If they have other insurance then they are listed as such and not rated for. State of Florida encourages this. Geico is one company that follows the state regulations, whereas other companies such as Alstate get their license pulled every year and are given a probation period to validate their rate increases.

• Th
      19th of Dec, 2017

@Liz YOU WORK FOR SOME CROOKS!

26th of Oct, 2008

wont pay the rest of the money they owe me for repairing a vehicle insured by them

• Ve
      19th of May, 2009

I have been an Allstate customer since 1993 and have had numerous drivers in and out of my home, some disclosed to Allstate and some not. Not once...EVER have I heard of such a ### policy. I have never had a general rate increase until this year of $20 a month. You slamming probably one of the best companies shows what kind of company you work for and the integrity of you as an agent and the knuclehead who commented before you. I have made a few claims towards my policy over the years 2 with uninsured motorist a couple of windshield claims and a hit in run while we were in a department store and not with one of these claims did I have a rate increase or a hassle from the agent or company paying it. My daughter, whom we added after she was a "licensed" driver, got in 2 accidents and I had a rate increase of around $30.oo a month for 1 year and it came off at the end of the period with out any request to do so on my part. My girlfriend has recently ran into this guys same problem with my youngest daughter she wanted a "quote" and they pulled the same BS with her. This is my daughter not hers. My girlfriend and I split all the bills, I care for my kids and she cares for hers and my kid is not her responsibility. So for all who read this, read all the complaints about this POS company matter of fact do your research on any company, do it for days, weeks.. as long as it takes for you to make the right decision and don't listen to the fools above look up the laws yourself. A law or requirement in one state is not necessarily a law or requirement in another state and if Geico follows state laws or rules then they can't hassle you if your state does not have a problem with it. TADA. In your face .

• Up
      12th of Jun, 2009

YOU CHOOSE TO DO BUSINESS WITH 1-800 STRANGERS WHO WORK OUT OF CUBICLES FOR A COMPANY THAT ANSWERS TO STOCKHOLDERS, GET BONUS'S FOR DENYING CLAIMS, , , AND YOUR SURPRISED ABOUT BEING TREATED LIKE A NUMBER???

• Co
      25th of Jun, 2009
    Geico - auto claim
    Illinois

had accident it was declare by the cop as both faults the other party talk to my insurance and told them it was my fault so iam geeting to pay for allhis damages and his towing and rental car . they are not on the customer side in accident and the like to jack up premiums iam changing insurance companies

• Ni
      3rd of Apr, 2017

@coolmom cops cannot determine liability in car accidents pain and simple. they can give their opinions but they are not licensed adjusters. the only things cops can determine is if a law was broken and it also depends on the which type of negligence your state holds.

• Ge
      10th of Jul, 2009

You're not telling us everything. Geico has to take a statement from you before they decide you are either at fault or partially at fault. We take your statement and if its different from the other person, we look into it and investigate. If you do not answer your phone or return your calls, we have to go off of what info was provided to us by others. You may want to call in and ask for someone to explain how they came to that conclusion.

• Ki
      19th of Nov, 2009

I've been with GEICO for over 6 years now. I had my car and house insured. I had a car accident in June 2009. The other party hit my car from the back at the stop sign. I called the police to have a police report when the accident occurred. My back was hurting a bit and my neck injured. X-rays from the chiropractor confirm everything.

I called GEICO within 3 days to state what happened in the accident. After they got my statement, I started to go to local chiropractor. GEICO agent assured me I will be reimbursed for the time off from work with my medical expenses (had doctor's note temporary not eligible for work). DID NOT HAPPENED!!!

30 days later I was informed that I was at fault of this accident cause first call didn't count and the statement I gave them wasn't valid. They said it was a wrong department I talked to, even though when I first called, I talked to customer representative stating I need to file a claim.

Long story short, I was paying $145/mo full coverage ($500 deductible), I got NO REIMBURSEMENT for time off from work (even though GEICO promised to pay out), MEDICAL EXPENSES NOT FULLY COVERED, and an ACCIDENT ON MY RECORD.

I switched to AAA and I had no problems with them so far. I pay $117/mo, same full coverage, plus my house insurance is better quality as well.

DO SOME RESEARCH!!! DON'T TRUST GEICO!!

23rd of Dec, 2009

I've had two claims with Geico in 12 months of service with them. My vehicle was vandalized twice, a $500 deductable for comprehensive claims, that expense I entered willingly.

My complaint is with the claims and policies. Geico's rep really wanted me to use their repair service, albeit great I'm sure, but I have a friend in the industry and had recommended a shop for me and I opted out of Geico's repair service and chose this other shop to his great dismay.

The repair work by the body shop was great, as I expected but Geico had failed to pay about $200 of the claim. Because they claimed the shops rates were unreasonable. The average shop for my area was $40/hr labor (according to Geico) and this body shop requested $44/hr. The work was minimal so the body shop didn't require I pay the different but was going to attempt to litigate Geico for it. It's called "steering." In my state, they cannot require I go to certain shops, I have free choice of where I go and Geico is obligated under my contract terms (and the law) to pay any reasonable amount. I wouldn't expect them to pay lets say $500/hr rate that's clearly outrageous. This was only $4/hr more than Geico's alleged "average" rate. So apparently Geico decides and average rate (what their shop costs perhaps?) and that's all they will pay no matter what, it seems.

Again, the shop was kind and didn't hold me liable, just asked for a copy of my contract which did not say anywhere about limiting payments based off geographical averages or magic numbers Geico decided on etc, ridiculous…

Well, the second claim which was just two days after the first was repaired, was unacceptable. The damage was far more severe and at first, the Geico estimate was about $750 dollars and then my deductable of $500 making it a mere $250 for them. The adjuster ignored my explanation of the damage [which was a uniquely caustic liquid chemical that TOTALLED my roommates car (We were both victims of this attack) while it completely consumed all paint, steal, chrome, plastic and even etched the glass (results not even hydrochloric acid could produce)] that it was a liquid and inherent of a liquid, it’s concentration varies the effect and it slips into unseen locations. Well, after the shop disassembled the vehicle for repairs they located a much greater extent of damage. The re-estimate was nearly $3000 which Geico obliged, except the labor rate, which was nearly $700 dollars in difference, a lot more than the first time. So the shop couldn’t forgive that much and with the track record of the last repair with Geico, they would not release my vehicle until I covered that amount, they knew Geico wouldn’t pay. I made payment arrangements and I could at least drive my car again.
    So, with my deductable I was forced to pay approximately $1200 out of my own pocket just to get my car back, while by the way the shop had to hold of repairing until they estimate cleared and they made some sort of motion that they would in fact pay it. This took an extra week. So totally my car was in the shop 2.5 weeks, while it wasn’t even worked on for a week while Geico scrambled to revivify the damage they failed to initially identify.

After the fact, Geico ultimately refused to repay me the difference. They insisted their rate was far too in excess from any other shop and too high over the “average.” I explained, very kindly, my policy does not specify an “average” the shop must conform to and who comes up with this “average” anyway? They gave me a long explanation which was far too cryptic and evaded a straight answer. I believe this is just a way Geico is “steering” customers to their proprietary repair shops, whom perform mediocre repairs for ultra-cheap and I refuse to be a victim of that. The cost to me, about $1700. The cost to Geico, my patronage. I’ve got a new policy with a competing company with far lower deductibles ($100), $1500 per incident of a rental vehicle and guess what it’s only 6 dollars more a month than the last payment I made to Geico (Which was increasing with each payment, somehow?)

Also, upon cancelling my policy they immediately removed my web login so I was unable to add an official customer experience review.

• Ni
      3rd of Apr, 2017

@Mirman you do have the right to use any body shop you would like, but your shop will work off of the geico estimate, so you went in knowing one of two things. Either you did not give your shop a copy of the estimate and they did their own, or they ignored the estimate all together. One of the things insurance companies do is use the fair marker value of parts, labor, and value of vehicles. So on your GE estimate is would have the breakdown for what labor should be in your area.

• Mb
      26th of May, 2010

I am interested in finding out why Geico spent the money to send me a check for exactly 2 cents! This cost 35 cents to mail let alone the amount of time in employee salary to process the request. Why does Geico not credit my account like other companies unless I request the refund of such an insignificant amount? Couldn't such a savings in processing fees be utilized to reduce insurance costs???? We appreciate the honesty, however this check is hardly worth taking to the bank.????

Concerned about waste,

Martha Bratcher
    Customer since 2005

• In
      13th of Jun, 2010

i cant wait for you to have another accident and need doctors - i would love to see you comments about AAA -

• Dr
      13th of Jul, 2010

i called for a quote with GEICO because my son was thinking about moving back in with me.they said we can not give you a quote unless he lives there i said just assume he does i just want a quote. they canceled my insurance, added my son and charged me $234 for less than one month. when i told them he did not live with me they wanted proof. the only proof i could get was his state ID since all the bills were in his girl friends name they would not accept this as proof I WILL NEVER BUY INSURANCE FROM THIS COMPANY AND DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE ELSE TO DO SO

Geico - stupid commercails
    GEICO
    GEICO.com

I'm so sick of the stupid commercails with the caveman, reptile, and other stupid things this comp. uses to push their product, I'd like to step on the reptile and smack the caveman .

22nd of Nov, 2010

There is this amazing piece of technology (you might not have heard of it, it's only came out decades ago) that allows you to change the channel or turn off your television or radio when something you don't like comes on.

22nd of Nov, 2010

Dawn, yeah they stopped running those. Every once in a while I'll see one but its pretty rare.

I loved those caveman commercials! I hate commercials for the most part and will FF through them but those I always stopped to watch the caveman ones. Wish that the sitcom based on those ad spots would have worked out, there was a lot of potential there but they just tried too hard. My gf loves the gecko's accent and sometimes they're even clever.

Dude pobar's right, most of the free-ish world has DVR's or Tivo, skip them if they bug you that much or flip the channel.

You have way too much time on your hands man but if this is what you have to complain about, I'll trade you lives in a hot second!

22nd of Nov, 2010

When commercials come on I use that time to do some cleaning or other side jobs.

22nd of Nov, 2010

Brenda, you are absolutely correct. Just the simple fact that we all remember the commercials means they are doing some right. We don't have to like them, we just have to remember them and (even better) talk about them.

23rd of Nov, 2010

YES the sponge monkeys. I'm with you Dawn, bring 'em back!

I can't believe I'm spending my afternoon talking about geckos, cavemen and sponge monkeys. Feels like I should go out to the garage and hammer something or rake some leaves (lol) I would but its fricken eh cold out there, so here I am.

My girl also likes those new Old Spice commercials and even though I won't let her know this, I think they're pretty funny. "Look at _____, now look at me", too funny. But if she ever buys into that marketing scheme and gets me grocery store cologne and we may be over. J/k