GE / poor customer service

United States Review updated:

I have a ge profile microwave which stopped working after less than 2 years. Warranty only good for 1 year. I called [protected] on the manual for ge customer care service. They said the charge was $99 to come out and apply it to service and labor. When the tech came out he clarified the charges stating the $99 did not cover any service, labor, or parts. It only covered sending out the technician and diagnosing the problem! After diagnosing he said the total would be $215!! I only spent $199 for the microwave brand new!! A quick search on the internet showed the new same featured model for $169!! When I pointed it out to the tech he agreed buying a new one would also give you a 1 year warranty on everything compared to his 90-day warranty on his parts. Then they offered to sell me a new one for $269 which would "waive" the $99 tech fee. However, they would take the old one away when they delivered the new one. How coincidental that their $269 price is $100 more than buying it at a local store!! They said if I did not want to repair it ($215) and did not want a new one ($269), then I would still have to pay the $99 tech fee. What a rip off.

I said I was not properly informed that the $99 tech fee was for simply diagnosing and not applied to the cost of the repair. I refused all their offers. I told them it was not fair to bait and switch me on the $99 tech fee.

After the tech left, I called a local appliance repair shop. They estimated labor at $45 plus parts based on the diagnosis by the tech. I brought it to the store, they fixed it and I picked it up the same day. Total cost $54.

Ge customer care service is expensive and predatory. They come to your home and come up with a repair bill that is greater than the cost of the unit brand new. Then they offer to sell and deliver a new one for much higher than simply buying it at the store. And if you buy a new one from them they demand to take you old one (probably so they can repair it for a few bucks and sell it as refurbished for pure profit).

Before you call ge customer care for any appliance beyond the full warranty, call you local appliance store and try to get an estimate.
Va

Comments

Ci
  5th of Sep, 2008
We have a GE Profile Refridgerator that is 4 years old. It stopped cooling and we called GE and asked about servicing it since it was still under warranty (5 years). They said that we could get any repair company to come out. We did so and it did not fix the problem. We then finally were able to get the dealer where we bought it from to look at it and it still did not get fixed. We called GE again and they said now we needed to get an authorized GE service company to fix and then gave us a name. They still did not fix it and now I have gone around and around with GE on the phone. We have been without the fridge for 2 1/2 months and now are finally sending out the parts. Better yet, mind you it is still under warranty, they offered a pro-rated discount for new fridge that was only $300 lower than the sticker price for a new one.

We will not purchase another GE product based on our hassel and the lack of consideration that GE has provided for one of their appliances that is still under warranty!

General Electric Logo General Electric