Gateway Laptop Computer / Worthless computer

Gateway Computers & Home Electronics - www. gateway. com

MY husband purchased me a new laptop computer 10/06 from Best Buy. Since then the "mother board " has been replaced 3 times since 4/07. Does this seem normal on a NEW computer. It has been sent out to Best Buys service Center 4 times to have repairs. Spoke my frustrations with Best Buy who said that they could not do anything since we did not purchase the extended warranty. I could understand if the computer was 3 years old but for a brand new computer to have this many problems is not right. They directed me to Gateways Corp. Office who is a joke. They are very rude and do not know how to treat a paying customer. I spoke with Jennifer the first time on 7-12-07 who told me that I would need to fax my paperwork so it could be reviewed. At this point my computer had the mother board replaced twice. Once on 4/13/07 and then again on 7/10/07. I never heard anything so I called back and got Erica who says that they never received anything even though I still had my fax sheet saying that it was a successful fax. She stated that at this point that they still would not do anything about it. So sure enough it went out again for the third time and had to be sent back for repair on 9/17/07. I called Erica back to let her know and they were still not willing to exchange my computer because it has been sent to Best Buys service center and their center has not looked at it yet so they sent me a box for me to send it to them when it come back form Best Buy. Well I did just that and they sent it right back to me stating that they could not find anything wrong with it. I called Erica back 10/10/07 to let her know that and she said that they would not replace a working unit. I told her that it may be working now but more than likely it will break again in 2-3 months and by then the manufacture warranty will no longer available. She says that they will extend the warranty for 90 more days but if the mother board goes out again after that I will be responsible. I dont think that this is fair. This computer has been in the shop more than I have had it. I spent 1100.00 on a computer that is worthless.

Va

Comments

• Th
      8th of Apr, 2008

Kathleen Weimar
    Office of the Attorney General
    100 W Randolph St
    Chicago, IL 60601

Ms. Weimar,

These ongoing negotiations with Gateway are redundant and are bordering on ridiculous. How many times do I have to address the same issues that have been presented in my previous correspondence?

1.) The phone support personnel at Gateway had determined that the failure of the motherboard was the reason the PCMCIA card slot will not to power up and that the computer would have to be returned to Gateway to have the motherboard replaced. However each time the computer is returned to Gateway, the motherboard is not replaced, which would solve the problem. The computer is ultimately returned to me as No Trouble Found/No Failure Claim Description Provided.

2.) The Sprint equipment and software did in fact work in the Gateway computer for approximately eight months, so we do know that the equipment and software are compatible with the Gateway computer.

3.) The Sprint equipment and software are currently working optimally in a Toshiba Satellite laptop computer. This would in fact prove that there is nothing wrong with the Sprint Mobile Broadband Service or the equipment provided by Sprint. The attempt by Dixie Radakovich to shift the cause of the failure to Sprint is an obvious red herring, when in fact the failure of the Gateway computer is the issue being discussed here.

4.) The computer as purchased from Gateway is in fact sold as ready to upgrade to Windows Vista and includes a certificate for a free operating system upgrade from Microsoft. Dixie Radakovich is obviously unaware of how these systems are shipped and sold as she contends that installing this software, Windows Vista, “could significantly cause problems”.

5.) I have used the Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 With Update Rollup 2 CD supplied by Gateway with the purchase of the computer and restored the system to the original factory settings. However the PCMCIA card slot will not supply power to a PCMCIA card when inserted in the computer.

I have done some research on the internet with my Toshiba laptop computer and the Sprint Mobile Service, the same service that will not work on a Gateway computer. I have found a pattern in the way Gateway handles any reported problems with the low quality products that they produce. The customer is required to send the failing product to the Gateway service department numerous times, with no service being performed. After they are certain that the warranty no longer applies, they are in a position to refuse to repair the equipment.

I am asking you to intervene and force an obviously poorly managed organization, bordering on criminal, to replace the product I have been sold with a new, not refurbished computer, which Gateway seems to prefer as method of resolving frustrated consumers complaints.