Gamestop/Game Informer / consumer fraud

Game Stop/Game Informer allows customers to add revenue to your Edge Card (Game Stop Card)for future use. You sell games back to them and you can store the credit to your Game Stop card. However, if you at anytime lose your Game Stop card, you will lose all of the money you have stored on your card. Game Stop / Game Informer cannot look up your name or address to find your account. They do not inform you this will happen.

Game Stop should stop stealing from its customers and adapt better polices for their customers instead of unethical business practices.

Ban Game Stop / Game Informer until they change their policies to serve the consumer.

Va

Comments

• Bo
      16th of May, 2008

So basically what you are saying is that if Gamestop handed you $20 cash for a trade in and you lost it, you would expect them to give that money back?

• Ju
      10th of Jul, 2008

GameStop stores all refund and trade-in info and it is *very* easy to look up at the corporate office. Any of the managers at the store are able to call the office and look up the transaction based on your name, address, or phone number and they can then cancel the old Edge card and transfer the balance to a new card in the store. Takes some time (10-15 minutes) but it can be done and is simple to do. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying to you.

Cheers.

• Ev
      16th of Oct, 2010

We CAN look up your account without your card, but you CAN'T use money on it or put money on it unless you have it. Unfortunately this is because (as I was told by my manager) we are unable to give a new card to customers if they lose a new one. I agree that this sucks, but we're simply unable to process this in the computer. It's not that we won't, it's that we literally cannot do it.

18th of Oct, 2010

Evolus is confirming what Jacob is complaining about. If he lost his card he canot get access to the money he had stored on the account. Evolus says they CAN look at the account, which is useless if you can't get the money off of it. That's the point I think Jacob feels is most important, getting access to his money. Maybe GameStop should have a change of policy saying that with valid ID they will close the old card and re-issue a new one with the funds transfered over. If there's some problem like Game Informer subscription being renewed when it shouldn't or some other sensitive information, get new store software that can handle those changes. Also restrict that procedure to manager only, so that customer service only employees can't abuse the policy, e.g. add money to their own cards. When a policy is clearly wrong, for a store chain as large as GameStop, the phrase "cannot do it" should not be in their vocabulary. Make it happen.

• Ev
      3rd of Nov, 2010

I feel I need to clarify something: Trade-in value is not stored on a customer's account, it's stored on their cards. Trade-in cards are redeemed in a similar fashion to gift cards or bank cards, both containing a magnetic strip that can be swiped to use the money on it. If the card is lost, so is the money, because there's no longer any card to swipe.

• Da
      21st of Jun, 2011

I'll be the first one to admit I don't like Gamestop. I hate how hard they try to upsell you at check out.

But Jacob's complaint is silly. As I understood, and others have confirmed, the "money" is linked to that individual card, not your account. This makes sense. If you're unable to keep track of your money, that's your own problem.

10th of Dec, 2011

i like Game-Stop because its quick and easy.but i don't like it because most cashiers have a attitude that they need to fix

10th of Dec, 2011

i HATE it because it never has what i want.

• Er
      15th of Aug, 2018
    Gamestop - Charging me for some I did not order
    Baltimore
    Maryland

I was on the app and was checking a price I clicked to reverse the item in the store for pickup and when I checked my email it say that I was charged $25 for membership that I did not even want.

• El
      1st of Sep, 2018
    Gamestop - defective product - no support
    Vegas

A friend bought Turtle beach stealth 700 for PS4. the product was defective in the box.
    I wrote 3 times to Gamestop but no one replied yet. for over a month
    really bad attitude to any consumer... disappointing and shameful!!!

• Ku

Gamestop - Pre-order
    North Myrtle Beach
    South Carolina
    GameStop.com

I preordered a digital code for the game Pokémon silver for the Nintendo 3ds console, but the game has already came out, and I still have not received the digital code

• Ge
      10th of Sep, 2018
    Gamestop - power up reward
    Flushing
    New York

I got a pro card in 9/18 and the following day I got my b2g1 coupon, but after active my coupon it told me the expiration date is 9/30.Then I called customer service and the result is USED IT BEFORE THE EXPERATION DATE! ? ? I didn't plan to use it in 2 week, i plan to use it in 2 month .Really disappointed. ...