Firestone Complete Auto Care / Unethical

Used a $20 coupon to get an oil change/tire rotation - no complaint there. Service guy showed me that my air filter needed to be changed - for $30. I figure I can do this myself for $15. So I said "no". However, I think that they purposely re-screwed my cover back so tight that it made it extremely difficult for me to open it myself. They knew I was going to do the replacement myself. Not only that, but they quoted me $690 of recommended repair on my 2006 Accord that only had 30K miles. Are you kidding me? I know sales is important, but that's going beyond...

Va

Comments

• Al
      12th of Jul, 2008

Thank you for this information. I know many others who have complained too of Firestore Auto Care Services.

Hopefully with our postings, people will be aware to not go to such places for service.

Sincerely,

Alfred

22nd of Jul, 2008

Can anyone give me an address where I can send a written compliant about Firestone?

• Wa
      21st of Aug, 2008

Firestone Complete Care Care Centers are corporate owned, and they all go through training to not over-recommend parts or service that vehicles do not need. If this is happening, it needs to be reported to corporate level at 1-800-367-3872, M-F 8-5 CST. They will release any employee found to be doing this, as it's against company policy. No, I do not work for FS, but I know someone who does. There are also FS stores that are not corporate but use the FS name, who DO engage in some of these negative types of behaviors. They should be reported to your local Better Business Bureau, if they're a member, or the state Dept of Consumer Protection, for unlawful practices. Yeah, there are shady mechanics out there everywhere, but one bad apple doesn't need to spoil the bunch. To all, I'd say, research your auto care facility, ask questions, be a good consumer. A good shop will always show you the parts removed from your car, never over-recommend, give you a written estimate and stay within 10% of that amount, and finish the job on time. If it's not right, ask for it to be remedied, and go to a higher level if you feel it's required. Don't be ridiculous in your claims, however. Know what you're talking about, and don't try to get more than you're due either.

In your case, Fipster, your vehicle IS still aging, even with lower mileage. 30K on a 2006 still means you need your regular services done- check your manual to find them. They aren't free and they will add up, you know. I have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country that needs tie rod ends at 18K...it happens, you know, and you should also have a warranty, right? What services did they itemize out onyour bill? I just find this odd.

I also find it interesting that you seem so put-off that they tightened your air filter cover. If they hadn't, you'd probably complain that it was loose. They tightened it according to safety regulations and manufacturer standards. It's not meant to just pop right off...why do you think those guys are so dirty all the time? A little elbow grease is always required. ;)

Regards,

Waste-Knot

• Ba
      30th of Aug, 2008

Completely agree. They have come up with a costly repair issue each time I take the car there. I was recently charged with $1400 with lots of billing issues. I am still waiting for a credit to my credit card account.

• He
      28th of Jul, 2009

I just came back from another mechanic who had to fix a botched up job by Firestone. I had my front breaks replaced by them in Redlands, Ca. After I picked up the car it made clunking and grinding noises. So I went back right away. The guy tells me to give it a few days. I gave it a few weeks. Brought it back after calling consumer affairs. Supposedly they had fixed and readjusted things, saying there was something wrong with the hardware. They never told me what hardware it was. After two months of squeaking and grinding and chafing I went to a different mechanic. This is what they found. The back brakes were horribly missadjusted. The front brakes after two months had 40% wear and the pads had circle groves in them almost the whole depht, something that should never have happened. I wished I could get my money back. However, I can report them and say Mrs. McKelvey